<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Sunday, February 22, 2004

*yawn* This girl needs some sleep. Why is it the more tired I get, the crankier my kids get?? And why is it the more sleep I need, the more likely DS will crawl into bed with me at 3am and proceed to poke and kick at me until I get so irritated I'm ready to scream?? The kid is 3 years old and refuses to sleep in his own bed. He'd rather sleep on the hallway floor. Weird kid.

It's been such a busy week--I'm still trying to get used to my new schedule at the bakery at school. When my teacher told me he'd get me a job there, I thought I'd be sweeping the floor and mixing cake mixes over and over again. This week I learned that I will be replacing the main pastry chef. Right now the bakery has 2 full time pastry chefs: Antoine is an ancient European pro that does all the candies (he's a grumpy little troll, but his grasp of the art is incredibly broad--I am trying to learn as much as possible from him while I'm there), and Gray does "everything else" (with occassional help from one or 2 other part-timers). But Gray is supposed to be the cake decorator, doing wedding cakes. So they want me to take over the work he's doing. Sacher tortes, decorated cheesecakes, biscotti, tarts and tartlets, mousses, etc. They'll even let me add to the menu if I can come up with something that fits in with what they're already making. How did I fall into this job?? Sure, it sounds fairly mundane, and no, it pays for CRAP. But it's a pastry chef position in the bakery attached to a culinary school. There are at least 40 other students there with my same amount of experience. How did I luck into this? Did I just show up with my sorry story at the exact moment they needed someone? I'm just still blown away by the amount of confidence they've got in me.

Things with STBX have been quiet lately. I think we've reached a level of peace and tranquility. I can only hope it lingers for a few more weeks. He's officially looking for a job in our agreed-upon destinations, and we've agreed that the optimal situation would be to live as close as possible to one another (even next door if possible) to ease the transition for the kids. The move will be difficult for them no matter what we do, there's no point in making it worse.

In the meantime, I'm finally beginning to actually crave companionship. Of the Other Gender sort. Unfortunately, I know I'm still not really ready for it. Yes, it's been nearly 6 months, so the physical aspect is understandable, but I'm still as screwed up as ever. Would it be so wrong to just have a shallow fling for a couple of months? I've been having evil thoughts about a young fellow I work with... I call him Sweet Young Thing. SYT reminds me of someone... I can't quite place what it is about him that's so familiar, but I have a sense of comfort with him that I would like to take advantage of. He's too young, of course. And he has recently proclaimed an intention to live a clean life, that he's sown his oats and it's time to behave more respectably. *snicker* he's far too young to actually follow through with that, but it's so cute that he's trying. SYT is going to make a someone a great husband. But in the meantime, couldn't I just help him keep his skills honed? See? Evil thoughts. I'm a dirty old woman.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?