<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Saturday, March 20, 2004

My mother informed me of a trunk in the garage filled with my things they'd packed up ages ago. I went out to sift through my past. It's hard to remember the Sassy I used to be, it was almost shocking to see her from this perspective. She was a pretty cool girl, I must say. Funny how I never FELT that way.

The pictures were cracking me up: me in my black sweater and matching fedora, with my Adam Ant posters in the background, and my bedroom mirror dressed up with a pair of pinstripe pants, suspenders, Wayfarers and golf cap. So tragically 80's.

And Ben, I *know* you're reading this honey: I have photos of you in 1989, not looking so terribly much younger than you are today. My, my we were sassy. ;-) I must scan the photo of Ben and our friends recreating the cover of his favorite Abba album. If it makes him smile half as much as it did me, it'll be worth the trouble.

Among the finds:
--a small 45 collection (if you don't know what 45's are, you're too young to understand) comprised of Rick Springfield's "I've Done Everything For You", Toni Basil's "Mickey", Olivia Newton John's "Physical" and Pia Zadora's "The Clapping Song".
--every German and Japanese text and dictionary I ever bought
--every script from every play, scene and monologue I studied or performed in college
--an award given to me after a production of The Crucible (I was Abigail Williams): a mason jar of cow manure spray painted gold--the awards were called the "Golden Bricks", and I won the "Murderous Bitch" prize
--an old German license plate
--and finally two prizes I am SO glad I hung onto... such an ego booster during this time of need. First, a note from an anonymous admirer who made me a mixed tape of "some songs I like". The note was very vague saying something like, "You are so much inside. I really wish I could have gotten to know you... before." To this day I have absolutely no idea who it's from. I have to admit that the handwriting looks a bit feminine to me, now. And secondly, the one and only love poem anyone's ever written for me (or, well, I'd like to think the only one I've ever READ.). He wrote it out very carefully on a nice piece of paper, rolled it up and tied it with a ribbon:

To Sassy

I am humbled by your beauty.
My mouth moves to speak
But the words are stifled by fear. <--see, that intimidation thing, LOL!!!
You know me, yet I am unknown.
My heart falls into rhythm with
Your smile.
When you offer your hand
In a friendly touch,
My soul cries with a longing to
Know You.
I know You, Yet you are unknown.
Like a fool, I have dreamed of your
Arms opening
To my arrival.
Like a dreamer, I have fooled
Myself.
I shall not move to kiss you.
I shall not Raise my eyes to
Meet your own.
I shall sit, quietly,
Waiting for a moment to be.
For I am
Humbled by your
Beauty.
*****************************************************

Ahem. My, my. Is it any wonder why this guy got laid?

I had completely forgotten about this, too. You'd think a thing like that would stick with you. I think my ego needs an overhaul.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?