Thursday, April 01, 2004
Against my better wishes, I finally met Dee's friend, T-Cop. I met Casey as well. I met them all for a quick lunch at a little mom-n-pop pizza/sub shop. When I got there, Dee was already there, but the guys weren't. I sat down and ordered a Diet Coke. She laughed and explained that when she called the guys to let them know I would be joining them, T-Cop pouted and said he refused to come because he knew it was just an April Fool's joke and I never really existed. Casey came in a minute later and sat down. Though he was not blatantly rude, he was not exactly warm and friendly, either. A few minutes later, T-Cop came in.
First of all, the table we were sitting at was in the center of the room, where the other tables were set up just right so when he came in, it seemed like he was walking the catwalk with everyone in the room staring at him, as he lumbered in slow motion toward his seat, smirking all the while. He sat down next to me and introduced himself, shaking my hand. I looked to Dee across the table for a little help getting the conversation started, but she just sat there with her hands clasped in front of her mouth. She and Casey were smirking at each other and obviously enjoying T-Cop's nervousness. I attempted to make conversation with Sandra and Casey, in an effort to get T-Cop to relax because he was so nervous he seemed to be ready to puke at any second. The only thing missing was sweat running down his temples. Am I THAT intimidating??
Anyway, after a few minutes, he started warming up. Overheat is more like it--whenever the conversation would pause for more than a half-second, T-Cop would jump in and ask me a question, "So, Sassy, do you live here in the city?" "So, Sassy, where do you work?" "What do you do for fun?" "How old are your kids?" "Tell me something interesting about yourself." Totally non-sequitor, too. Each question came so quickly and so unexpectedly, they actually startled me. I was beginning to feel as if I were being interrogated. I wonder how much time he'd spent writing these questions and memorizing them. T-Cop is probably about 60-80 lbs. overweight. There's no hiding it, but it's not like he's hobbled by it. He ordered a salad (met with rolling eyes and smirks across the table) and mentioned to Casey that he was going to the gym. Good Lord, man. I hope like HELL he hasn't been doing this shit just for ME. And if he hasn't, well I'm not terribly impressed with someone who put on a show like that for a girl he'd never met.
He asked me what I was doing later that evening. Luckily, I had to work. He was going to ask me out. And not "this weekend" or "Next week" but "RIGHT NOW!!" The boy was trying WAY TOO HARD. I was thinking this was just a meet-and-greet sort of thing. He was acting like it was an arranged marriage. Made me feel claustrophobic. Nope, sorry T-Cop, you're fired.
First of all, the table we were sitting at was in the center of the room, where the other tables were set up just right so when he came in, it seemed like he was walking the catwalk with everyone in the room staring at him, as he lumbered in slow motion toward his seat, smirking all the while. He sat down next to me and introduced himself, shaking my hand. I looked to Dee across the table for a little help getting the conversation started, but she just sat there with her hands clasped in front of her mouth. She and Casey were smirking at each other and obviously enjoying T-Cop's nervousness. I attempted to make conversation with Sandra and Casey, in an effort to get T-Cop to relax because he was so nervous he seemed to be ready to puke at any second. The only thing missing was sweat running down his temples. Am I THAT intimidating??
Anyway, after a few minutes, he started warming up. Overheat is more like it--whenever the conversation would pause for more than a half-second, T-Cop would jump in and ask me a question, "So, Sassy, do you live here in the city?" "So, Sassy, where do you work?" "What do you do for fun?" "How old are your kids?" "Tell me something interesting about yourself." Totally non-sequitor, too. Each question came so quickly and so unexpectedly, they actually startled me. I was beginning to feel as if I were being interrogated. I wonder how much time he'd spent writing these questions and memorizing them. T-Cop is probably about 60-80 lbs. overweight. There's no hiding it, but it's not like he's hobbled by it. He ordered a salad (met with rolling eyes and smirks across the table) and mentioned to Casey that he was going to the gym. Good Lord, man. I hope like HELL he hasn't been doing this shit just for ME. And if he hasn't, well I'm not terribly impressed with someone who put on a show like that for a girl he'd never met.
He asked me what I was doing later that evening. Luckily, I had to work. He was going to ask me out. And not "this weekend" or "Next week" but "RIGHT NOW!!" The boy was trying WAY TOO HARD. I was thinking this was just a meet-and-greet sort of thing. He was acting like it was an arranged marriage. Made me feel claustrophobic. Nope, sorry T-Cop, you're fired.
Comments:
Post a Comment