<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Sunday, April 11, 2004

*I* *am* *so* *fucking* *tired*!!!

I just had to get that off my chest. Good GOD, I put in a 10½ hour. day yesterday and an 8½ hour day today. For those of you who work at your desks, this might not seem very impressive. I did those hours on my feet, thankyouverymuch. And now my back and my feet are ~K~I~L~L~I~N~G~ me.

I got there at noon yesterday, and made:

--4 chocolate cream pies (all gone now)
--4 coconut cream pies (1 left)
--4 tubs of banana pudding
--2 gallons of pastry cream
--8 loaves and 4½ dozen rolls of egg bread
--4 dozen chocolate chip cookies
--4 dozen oatmeal scotchies
--6 dozen sugar cookies
--1 gallon of ivory buttercream
--1 gallon of mocha buttercream

Went home, got some sleep, returned at 8am, where I then:
--made white chocolate glaze and finished 4 dozen hazelnut petit fours
--sliced and plated 4 pies
--sliced and plated 4 baskets of muffins and quickbreads
--sliced and plated 4 cheesecakes
And then the "crunch time" hit. The buffet opened. 580 people! For 3 hours, we did nothing but walk to and from the buffet, plating/slicing products, taking away the empty plates and cleaning up the mess people were leaving. I forgot to eat lunch, we were so busy. I must have gotten plenty of calories from all the "tastes" I was getting every time I cleared a plate off, LOL. I admit that every time I walked into the dining room, I was thinking less-than-flattering things about most of the guests there. Country-club folk. So very clearly concerned about what others thought of them. Dressed to the nines, big, fake smiles. They ate 4 chocolate cream pies within 90 minutes of opening the buffet. "How can such skinny people eat so damned much???" I asked. I was amused to find that all the predictions my co-workers had made came true. They knew which items would be popular, when the rush would be, when it was safe to eat lunch, etc. I'd even been told that the guests have a bizarre and insatiable desire for melba toast. An hour into the buffet, a waiter came back and asked if we could get something that wasn't on the buffet menu--a guest had asked for melba toast.

Have you ever suddenly found yourself attracted to someone? Of course these days, this is no big shock to me, as it seems to be happening about every 5-7 minutes. But it took me by surprise today. I first met Mark last week, I think... see, I don't even remember for sure. He works at the country club. B told me that he had recently won a regional culinary competition and was going to California soon for the national competition. This week he was practicing at the table closest to my station, so I could hear his banter with the other guys, and watch his work progress. I was impressed, but I still didn't "notice" him in any other light. Then today when the buffet opened, all the chefs who had to enter the dining room had to wear chef's whites (we usually just wear a black T-shirt instead of the white jacket). Mark was working the dining room, slicing and serving lamb. He wore his glasses, which I'd never seen before. It was like a Hollywood movie: slow-motion pan through the crowd of nicely dressed people when suddenly, there is a man standing at the end of the table, the heat lamp on the table serving as a crude spotlight, casting dramatic shadows across his face, glistening off his polished knives, showcasing his broad shoulders in the crisp, white jacket, his dark hair sharply contrasted against the white chef's toque on his head, and his quirky dark glasses adding a whimsical bit of character to the image... and as he sees you, he gets a twinkle in his eye and gives a knowing, restrained smile.

I almost dropped my cheesecake.

Oh. My. God. Mark. Is. Hot.

How could I not notice this? Why didn't I notice this?? Does he have a girlfriend? If I'd been paying attention, I'd know this. Why didn't I pay attention? He and B really get along. She'll know if he has a girlfriend. I wonder how old he is? He seems "old enough" for me, but I'm really bad at guessing ages. 26? 27? Still young, but not as scandalous as SYT. Hell, maybe he's just got boyish good looks and he's older than that... HOW DID I NOT NOTICE HIM BEFORE???

*sigh*

It wasn't until the exhausted drive home that I realized that with his glasses on, he reminds me of Frank, of New Year's Trip fame. It all started making sense... still, if he doesn't have a girlfriend...

And then I got home to discover that I FINALLY got an email from Cyber Biker!! Hooray, I thought he'd ditched me. I'd been emailing him on and off for about 2 weeks, when suddenly he stopped responding. I tried a couple of emails, but all I got was "Sorry, I'm just working alot." I'd given up that he was going to ever "get back to me". I was disappointed because I'd hoped to get a chance to actually meet him in person. He returned today, explaining that he'd gone 3 weeks without a day off and had been having a really hard time getting any down-time, and apologized for his absence. How sweet.


Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?