Saturday, May 22, 2004
My flight to Chicago was 'how you sayyyyy' terrifying? Well maybe not quite that bad, but if I were inclined to be afraid of flying, I probably would have seriously needed a valium to withstand the trip. We started off being delayed an hour and a half, and since it was a late flight to begin with, I was exhausted by the time we got on the plane. The flight was delayed because of storms in Chicago. So the first 3 quarters of the trip were smooth... it was the approach to Chicago that caused my Very Life to flash before my eyes. I had never sat so close to the front on a plane before, not during a night flight anyway. Apparently there's a light on the wing that shines onto the fuselage right in the area that I was sitting, but I didn't know that until just as we hit major turbulence, everything in the window flashed a bright white. Scared the living crap out of me because it seemed to be lightning or fire, but it was just the plane flying into clouds with the light shining into the window. Even so, I had never been in turbulence so bad that I was involuntarily lifted up out of the seat more than once. I caught myself gripping the arm rests as if it might help stabilize the plane, and I realized how silly I was being. I finished my peanuts, closed my eyes and tried to concentrate on my "happy things". It's a game I play with my kids when they're anxious or scared... Think of your happy things... Pancakes, chocolate, playing in the sprinkler, My Size Rockin' Barbie. That's DD's happy things, not mine. My happy things were more along the lines of, 'cheesecake, cold beer, strawberry margaritas, Rusty's cologne, the sound he makes when [censored]... See, just typing my Happy Things list distracts me so much I can't remember the point of this entire paragraph.
I made the lengthy walk from the gate to the security area where Ben was waiting for me. I spotted him in the crowd as I approached from about 40 feet away, but the crowd was thick and I couldn't get his attention. He'd see me [LOL, Freudian typo: 'he'd see men'] when I got closer. 20 feet: he was still staring blankly into the crowd. 10 feet: apparently still lost in Wonderland. 5 feet: I smile, "Ben!", but he still stares just over my shoulder. I take a couple more steps forward and slowly wave my hands in front of his face. "BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeen???" He snaps out of it, suddenly, "OH HI!"
Apparently he saw that really hot Italian guy I had been behind on the moving sidewalk only moments before. Well, he was hot from behind, anyway. I didn't get to see him from the front. Geez, I just kept walking, but Ben was apparently completely captivated. And he tries to convince me he's not starved for sex. [Rolls eyes] What-EVERRRR.
Our first foray through the booths of the trade show were moderately productive: I've discovered I need to bring copious amounts of cash tomorrow because all the "good stuff" is for SALE, not giveaways. :-( Ah well, I really REALLY want that pink-striped black skull cap, and maybe a black head wrap as well for working at the country club... And who wouldn't want a knife from Dick's? There was much alcohol to be sampled. Lots of food to sample, too, but we had already eaten so we skipped most of it. Tomorrow we will skip lunch and just snack our way through the day. We decided to pretend we were planning my dream business: a dessert/cocktail coffee bar. Ben is the Front of House manager, I handle the kitchen. We looked at lots of neato glassware and knives and dishes and such. I'm such a sucker for cool gadgets...
And now I must retire to the couch for a cocktail before heading out for a nice dinner with friends... I'm once again on cloud nine because Rusty wrote poetry for me. OK, so I'm a damned 15 year old schoolgirl again. I don't CARE, it's delicious and wonderful.
Oh, and one final note: I called home this morning to talk to my kids only to discover that Shitfoot and taken them to grandma's for the weekend. He didn't stay, of course, he just dropped them off. Apparently he couldn't handle them by himself for that long.
I made the lengthy walk from the gate to the security area where Ben was waiting for me. I spotted him in the crowd as I approached from about 40 feet away, but the crowd was thick and I couldn't get his attention. He'd see me [LOL, Freudian typo: 'he'd see men'] when I got closer. 20 feet: he was still staring blankly into the crowd. 10 feet: apparently still lost in Wonderland. 5 feet: I smile, "Ben!", but he still stares just over my shoulder. I take a couple more steps forward and slowly wave my hands in front of his face. "BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeen???" He snaps out of it, suddenly, "OH HI!"
Apparently he saw that really hot Italian guy I had been behind on the moving sidewalk only moments before. Well, he was hot from behind, anyway. I didn't get to see him from the front. Geez, I just kept walking, but Ben was apparently completely captivated. And he tries to convince me he's not starved for sex. [Rolls eyes] What-EVERRRR.
Our first foray through the booths of the trade show were moderately productive: I've discovered I need to bring copious amounts of cash tomorrow because all the "good stuff" is for SALE, not giveaways. :-( Ah well, I really REALLY want that pink-striped black skull cap, and maybe a black head wrap as well for working at the country club... And who wouldn't want a knife from Dick's? There was much alcohol to be sampled. Lots of food to sample, too, but we had already eaten so we skipped most of it. Tomorrow we will skip lunch and just snack our way through the day. We decided to pretend we were planning my dream business: a dessert/cocktail coffee bar. Ben is the Front of House manager, I handle the kitchen. We looked at lots of neato glassware and knives and dishes and such. I'm such a sucker for cool gadgets...
And now I must retire to the couch for a cocktail before heading out for a nice dinner with friends... I'm once again on cloud nine because Rusty wrote poetry for me. OK, so I'm a damned 15 year old schoolgirl again. I don't CARE, it's delicious and wonderful.
Oh, and one final note: I called home this morning to talk to my kids only to discover that Shitfoot and taken them to grandma's for the weekend. He didn't stay, of course, he just dropped them off. Apparently he couldn't handle them by himself for that long.
Comments:
Post a Comment