Friday, May 21, 2004
Ugh. I woke up in the middle of the night with a killer sinus headache. Between random allergies and the gradually increasing noise of the cicadas outside (the UFO seems to be even closer now, it's truly disturbing), my head is about to split open.
Perfect timing for a trip out of town. I am so stoked about seeing Ben this weekend! Ben rocks, of course, and I'm sure I'll be in for a weekend of much laid-back drinking and chatting, and hours and hours wandering through all the booths at the National Restaurant Assoc. trade show, collecting all the free goodies I can get, even though most of it will be useless junk. You can never have too many bowl scrapers, I always say. Perhaps I could use them in some Martha-Stewart-inspired craft of some sort to use as Christmas gifts this year! Look, a toaster cozy! How about a toilet paper holder? Sure, frame them individually for a tasteful wall decoration. It's a Good Thing.
[Pause for mental static--sinus meds don't do much for the thought process, do they?]
Still trying desperately not to break into "The Sound of Music" or "Somewhere" just to revel in the joy of being in love with The Hottest Man Alive. And no, I don't mean Johnny Depp. And NO, I didn't just say that because Rusty knows about my blog now. I promise, dear readers, not to edit or curtail my incoherent ramblings simply because my Sexy ManThing is listening in. He can handle the truth, right?
[Crap, now I have all manner of songs from "Oklahoma" raging through my muddled head... 'Chicks and ducks and geese better scurry!']
Can I just take a paragraph to bitch about the incredible amount of hoops one must jump through to apply for federal assistance these days? The forms I have to fill out are an enormous pain in the ass, and the most infuriating thing about it is they are almost all identical. I have to have "a friend" fill one out for me, stating that I'm not lying about my situation. Wouldn't your average "friend" be willing to sign such a document under just about any circumstance? I mean really, what does it prove? That I know somebody? My landlord has to fill one out to prove that I pay rent. Wouldn't a canceled check do the same thing? Shitfoot's former employer has to fill one out. They have all that information through social security, they can see exactly what he was paid. And his former employer is in no hurry to fill the stuff out, obviously. My school has to fill 3 different forms for me. Bah, it's such a hassle that I say if anyone actually managed to defraud the system and get $300 more a month, more power to 'em because they freaking earned it.
Speaking of bureaucracy (typed "bureaucrazy"), Shitfoot received a notice that he doesn't qualify for unemployment. This is because he was fired for inappropriate conduct. His reaction would be clearly defined as inappropriate conduct, as well, and I spent most of that afternoon being berated with tales about how unfair his life is and what an asshole every person who has ever spoken to him is. He is filing an appeal, but in the meantime, what the fuck are we going to do for money?? I earn just about the cost of rent, as my job is merely part time. Just a couple more weeks to go before school is over... I would feel guilty about escaping to Chicago in the middle of this shitstorm, but the tickets were purchased ages ago, and skipping it would end up costing me more in the long run. And I consider it a vital Mental Health Expense as well.
So much to do before I get on that plane tonight... I have a mental checklist:
--book for reading when electronics have to be turned off
--Palm Pilot
--cell phone charger
--sexy underwear (I am SOOOOOO kidding. I had to take a jab just to see
if Rusty is paying attention!)
--large purse for carry-on stuff
--small purse for socializing while in Chicago
--all that other stuff
Did you notice I'm not fond of packing? I'm sure I'll forget something and end up begging Ben to take me to a drugstore or something... Hey Ben, don't forget the Diet Coke, or I'll go into fits of caffeine withdrawal.
Perfect timing for a trip out of town. I am so stoked about seeing Ben this weekend! Ben rocks, of course, and I'm sure I'll be in for a weekend of much laid-back drinking and chatting, and hours and hours wandering through all the booths at the National Restaurant Assoc. trade show, collecting all the free goodies I can get, even though most of it will be useless junk. You can never have too many bowl scrapers, I always say. Perhaps I could use them in some Martha-Stewart-inspired craft of some sort to use as Christmas gifts this year! Look, a toaster cozy! How about a toilet paper holder? Sure, frame them individually for a tasteful wall decoration. It's a Good Thing.
[Pause for mental static--sinus meds don't do much for the thought process, do they?]
Still trying desperately not to break into "The Sound of Music" or "Somewhere" just to revel in the joy of being in love with The Hottest Man Alive. And no, I don't mean Johnny Depp. And NO, I didn't just say that because Rusty knows about my blog now. I promise, dear readers, not to edit or curtail my incoherent ramblings simply because my Sexy ManThing is listening in. He can handle the truth, right?
[Crap, now I have all manner of songs from "Oklahoma" raging through my muddled head... 'Chicks and ducks and geese better scurry!']
Can I just take a paragraph to bitch about the incredible amount of hoops one must jump through to apply for federal assistance these days? The forms I have to fill out are an enormous pain in the ass, and the most infuriating thing about it is they are almost all identical. I have to have "a friend" fill one out for me, stating that I'm not lying about my situation. Wouldn't your average "friend" be willing to sign such a document under just about any circumstance? I mean really, what does it prove? That I know somebody? My landlord has to fill one out to prove that I pay rent. Wouldn't a canceled check do the same thing? Shitfoot's former employer has to fill one out. They have all that information through social security, they can see exactly what he was paid. And his former employer is in no hurry to fill the stuff out, obviously. My school has to fill 3 different forms for me. Bah, it's such a hassle that I say if anyone actually managed to defraud the system and get $300 more a month, more power to 'em because they freaking earned it.
Speaking of bureaucracy (typed "bureaucrazy"), Shitfoot received a notice that he doesn't qualify for unemployment. This is because he was fired for inappropriate conduct. His reaction would be clearly defined as inappropriate conduct, as well, and I spent most of that afternoon being berated with tales about how unfair his life is and what an asshole every person who has ever spoken to him is. He is filing an appeal, but in the meantime, what the fuck are we going to do for money?? I earn just about the cost of rent, as my job is merely part time. Just a couple more weeks to go before school is over... I would feel guilty about escaping to Chicago in the middle of this shitstorm, but the tickets were purchased ages ago, and skipping it would end up costing me more in the long run. And I consider it a vital Mental Health Expense as well.
So much to do before I get on that plane tonight... I have a mental checklist:
--book for reading when electronics have to be turned off
--Palm Pilot
--cell phone charger
--sexy underwear (I am SOOOOOO kidding. I had to take a jab just to see
if Rusty is paying attention!)
--large purse for carry-on stuff
--small purse for socializing while in Chicago
--all that other stuff
Did you notice I'm not fond of packing? I'm sure I'll forget something and end up begging Ben to take me to a drugstore or something... Hey Ben, don't forget the Diet Coke, or I'll go into fits of caffeine withdrawal.
Comments:
Post a Comment