Tuesday, September 28, 2004
As if all my personal life crisis bullshit wasn't enough, I have to have Psycho Boss, too.
Yesterday, I worked with Alex for a couple hours before Dee came in. Things were going fine--he has been on our cases a lot lately about not working fast enough, so I was mindful of the pace I was keeping. Of course I felt like hammered shit and felt like vomiting every time I smelled a new item. I could easily fall asleep standing up. But I plugged along as best I could. Around 11am, he asked me how full the pre-pack case was, and I said I thought it was getting pretty full. But I hadn't been out to look at it in over an hour, so how could I know? His girlfriend showed up (naturally he spent a significant amount of time chatting with her and NOT working), then they left for lunch (despite the fact that I had been working 2 hours longer and still hadn't had MY lunch). When he returned from lunch, the bitching started. He accused me of being lazy and not wanting to work, not caring if the work gets done, and of LYING about the case being full. LYING. About a fact that is readily verifiable just by looking at the case. Like a fucking four-year-old. He couldn't ASK me about the discrepancy between what he saw and what he thought I'd told him, no, he immediately came to the conclusion that I had LIED in order to avoid work. I have never actually wanted to drop my things and just walk out on a job like that. As it turns out, naturally someone had bought a few racks of ribs, which left a huge empty hole in the case. Well DUH, that should have been obvious, but no no, I must have just wanted to avoid work. He went on to complain that Dee and I had 3 hours of work where we got absolutely nothing done, and that we like to just "take it easy" when he's not around. Well, there were not 3 missing hours of work, we worked our ASSES off. In fact, Dee and I finished at least a half hour ahead of schedule than HE and I did the next day. He was hostile with us for the rest of the day. I was scheduled to get off at 2:30, he finished at 1 (he was working a half day), and Dee would have to be there until 9pm by herself. So when she came in at 12:30, I said, "I'm going to take my lunch so that Dee isn't left alone up here while I'm gone." "NO! You do NOT take your lunch until THIS JOB is finished [referring to finishing up the opening duties, which were nearly finished]. You stay here until it's done. You don't dump it on Dee to finish. This is a team effort; if you don't want to work with the team, you need to get out." Nevermind that I was still exhausted and pukey, and now that I was good and hungry, the morning sickness was in full throttle, and I was actually dry heaving every time I breathed too deeply. I wanted so badly just to spew all over the table just to stick it to him, but I wanted to keep what little dignity I had left. He left promptly at one, announcing he had to get home to babysit, despite the fact that the opening jobs weren't done yet. And because of that, I had to finish it all myself (he had given Dee some additional tasks to handle instead), which meant I couldn't take my lunch until 1:45, which meant I could take my lunch, come back to work for 15 minutes, and go home on time if I skipped my break, which I had to do just to help Dee get started on stuff so she wouldn't have to do it all completely on her own. I wanted so badly to just quit...
So forward to today, Dee comes in at 12:30 again, and I'd been working with Alex since 10 with hardly a word spoken between us. When Dee got in, he started in with the Happy Guy Storyteller, talking to her about his latest hunting travails (both he and Dee are avid bow hunters). Mid-story, Dee says, "I thought you had to babysit yesterday." He turned immediately hostile and defensive: "Since when are you so interested in my personal business? Fuck you! FUCK BOTH OF YOU!!"
Oh yes, I need a new job.
Yesterday, I worked with Alex for a couple hours before Dee came in. Things were going fine--he has been on our cases a lot lately about not working fast enough, so I was mindful of the pace I was keeping. Of course I felt like hammered shit and felt like vomiting every time I smelled a new item. I could easily fall asleep standing up. But I plugged along as best I could. Around 11am, he asked me how full the pre-pack case was, and I said I thought it was getting pretty full. But I hadn't been out to look at it in over an hour, so how could I know? His girlfriend showed up (naturally he spent a significant amount of time chatting with her and NOT working), then they left for lunch (despite the fact that I had been working 2 hours longer and still hadn't had MY lunch). When he returned from lunch, the bitching started. He accused me of being lazy and not wanting to work, not caring if the work gets done, and of LYING about the case being full. LYING. About a fact that is readily verifiable just by looking at the case. Like a fucking four-year-old. He couldn't ASK me about the discrepancy between what he saw and what he thought I'd told him, no, he immediately came to the conclusion that I had LIED in order to avoid work. I have never actually wanted to drop my things and just walk out on a job like that. As it turns out, naturally someone had bought a few racks of ribs, which left a huge empty hole in the case. Well DUH, that should have been obvious, but no no, I must have just wanted to avoid work. He went on to complain that Dee and I had 3 hours of work where we got absolutely nothing done, and that we like to just "take it easy" when he's not around. Well, there were not 3 missing hours of work, we worked our ASSES off. In fact, Dee and I finished at least a half hour ahead of schedule than HE and I did the next day. He was hostile with us for the rest of the day. I was scheduled to get off at 2:30, he finished at 1 (he was working a half day), and Dee would have to be there until 9pm by herself. So when she came in at 12:30, I said, "I'm going to take my lunch so that Dee isn't left alone up here while I'm gone." "NO! You do NOT take your lunch until THIS JOB is finished [referring to finishing up the opening duties, which were nearly finished]. You stay here until it's done. You don't dump it on Dee to finish. This is a team effort; if you don't want to work with the team, you need to get out." Nevermind that I was still exhausted and pukey, and now that I was good and hungry, the morning sickness was in full throttle, and I was actually dry heaving every time I breathed too deeply. I wanted so badly just to spew all over the table just to stick it to him, but I wanted to keep what little dignity I had left. He left promptly at one, announcing he had to get home to babysit, despite the fact that the opening jobs weren't done yet. And because of that, I had to finish it all myself (he had given Dee some additional tasks to handle instead), which meant I couldn't take my lunch until 1:45, which meant I could take my lunch, come back to work for 15 minutes, and go home on time if I skipped my break, which I had to do just to help Dee get started on stuff so she wouldn't have to do it all completely on her own. I wanted so badly to just quit...
So forward to today, Dee comes in at 12:30 again, and I'd been working with Alex since 10 with hardly a word spoken between us. When Dee got in, he started in with the Happy Guy Storyteller, talking to her about his latest hunting travails (both he and Dee are avid bow hunters). Mid-story, Dee says, "I thought you had to babysit yesterday." He turned immediately hostile and defensive: "Since when are you so interested in my personal business? Fuck you! FUCK BOTH OF YOU!!"
Oh yes, I need a new job.
Comments:
Post a Comment