Saturday, February 19, 2005
I am so pissed off at my boss right now I could spit. I know I have to sit down and have a talk with him because well, first it has to be resolved, but second, it's burning me up and ruining my attitude.
I was hired as an "assistant manager", and put on salary, all to accomodate my need to carry health insurance. Since I'm on salary, neither I nor anyone else has been tracking my hours. During the month of December, I averaged about 75 hrs. a week because my kids were with their dad most of that time. For the week of Christmas, they were going to be closed Fri., Sat. and Sun. but the snowstorms hit on wed. and they closed after lunch on Wed. and didn't open again until the next Monday. They docked my pay for the day and a half that "I missed"!!!
Now, I didn't complain at that time, because at the same time, there was a big mixup with the insurance and they ended up paying my share of the premiums for that month, so in the end, I came out ahead even with the "pay docking" that they did.
Starting in January, once the kids were here and in school, I cut my hours back to 8/day during the week plus a couple extra hours on Friday night and the Saturday shift. This week, DD got sick w/ strep throat. I missed the Monday morning shift (but came in that evening for 3 hrs.), and again on Thursday. If I work my expected hours today, it will leave me with 35.5 hours this week. When I came in for the late shift last night, Chef stopped to talk to me about a party being planned next week, and said that he'd need me there to help set up for it (it was scheduled for a time that I'm not normally there). No problem--I have never EVER told them NO when they've asked me to be there for an event! Then he told me I'd need to come in a couple EXTRA nights next week to make up for all the time I've lost this week, plus I've asked for next Saturday night off. Because, you know, they wouldn't want to have to DOCK MY PAY!!
It wasn't until he walked away that I realized the entire scope of this picture--I put in 58 hours last week, but that's not good enough, I'll have to put in MORE hours NEXT week to make up for ONE fucking sick day???? What's the point of being on salary if the ball doesn't swing both ways? They act like I'm taking advantage of them, but I promise you, it's ME who needs the lube in this situation. I am sick to death of being treated like I'm cheating them every time I walk out the door. Any time I've mentioned (not even complained, mind you) the hours that I put in, they have to pipe in and trump me, making sure I know they put in way more hours than I do. That's fine, they OWN the place. When my name's on the balance sheet, I'm sure I'll be working more hours, too. In fact, that's the biggest reason I don't own my own place right now--I *know* it demands 99.9% of your life.
Speaking of getting my name on something--did I mention that now whenever they print a special menu for bids on a party, or when they advertise in print or radio, and other events, they are mentioning me by name? Nobody said anything to me about it, they just started doing it. I'm flattered, and happy of course, but it's weird that they can act so fucking proud of me and treat me so crappily at the same time.
So I have to sit down and talk it out. I plan on writing up a list of my hours for the past 2 weeks to illustrate just how "cheated" they've been. I guess I'm going to have to tell them that if they continue to threaten to cut my pay every time I'm not there when they want me to be, then I'm going to start logging my hours and leaving when I hit 40 regardless of what is going on. I just don't know what else I can do.
I was hired as an "assistant manager", and put on salary, all to accomodate my need to carry health insurance. Since I'm on salary, neither I nor anyone else has been tracking my hours. During the month of December, I averaged about 75 hrs. a week because my kids were with their dad most of that time. For the week of Christmas, they were going to be closed Fri., Sat. and Sun. but the snowstorms hit on wed. and they closed after lunch on Wed. and didn't open again until the next Monday. They docked my pay for the day and a half that "I missed"!!!
Now, I didn't complain at that time, because at the same time, there was a big mixup with the insurance and they ended up paying my share of the premiums for that month, so in the end, I came out ahead even with the "pay docking" that they did.
Starting in January, once the kids were here and in school, I cut my hours back to 8/day during the week plus a couple extra hours on Friday night and the Saturday shift. This week, DD got sick w/ strep throat. I missed the Monday morning shift (but came in that evening for 3 hrs.), and again on Thursday. If I work my expected hours today, it will leave me with 35.5 hours this week. When I came in for the late shift last night, Chef stopped to talk to me about a party being planned next week, and said that he'd need me there to help set up for it (it was scheduled for a time that I'm not normally there). No problem--I have never EVER told them NO when they've asked me to be there for an event! Then he told me I'd need to come in a couple EXTRA nights next week to make up for all the time I've lost this week, plus I've asked for next Saturday night off. Because, you know, they wouldn't want to have to DOCK MY PAY!!
It wasn't until he walked away that I realized the entire scope of this picture--I put in 58 hours last week, but that's not good enough, I'll have to put in MORE hours NEXT week to make up for ONE fucking sick day???? What's the point of being on salary if the ball doesn't swing both ways? They act like I'm taking advantage of them, but I promise you, it's ME who needs the lube in this situation. I am sick to death of being treated like I'm cheating them every time I walk out the door. Any time I've mentioned (not even complained, mind you) the hours that I put in, they have to pipe in and trump me, making sure I know they put in way more hours than I do. That's fine, they OWN the place. When my name's on the balance sheet, I'm sure I'll be working more hours, too. In fact, that's the biggest reason I don't own my own place right now--I *know* it demands 99.9% of your life.
Speaking of getting my name on something--did I mention that now whenever they print a special menu for bids on a party, or when they advertise in print or radio, and other events, they are mentioning me by name? Nobody said anything to me about it, they just started doing it. I'm flattered, and happy of course, but it's weird that they can act so fucking proud of me and treat me so crappily at the same time.
So I have to sit down and talk it out. I plan on writing up a list of my hours for the past 2 weeks to illustrate just how "cheated" they've been. I guess I'm going to have to tell them that if they continue to threaten to cut my pay every time I'm not there when they want me to be, then I'm going to start logging my hours and leaving when I hit 40 regardless of what is going on. I just don't know what else I can do.
Comments:
Post a Comment