Friday, March 04, 2005
Things have been going much better at work lately. I don't know what happened, exactly, but there's been a shift in attitude amongst most everyone, including myself. I think the first quarter's numbers came back pretty promising--the bosses seem slightly less stressed out these days when the delivery guys come dragging in their hand trucks full of goodies. We had a "Management Meeting" this week, which sounds incredibly boring, and probably would be to most others, but it was nice to actually say things out loud and know that everyone who should know what you said heard it. Things are actually Getting Done. There was lots of back-patting and self-analyzing, but ultimately, the message was, "This is working. We're doing great. Keep it up."
After last week's Major Hitch in the Road, Rusty and I are doing quite well, too. It's so strange--in every other relationship I've ever had, when you have a major disagreement of some sort, it erodes the relationship. But for some reason, it draws us closer together. Maybe we're both hopelessly codependent, I don't know, but it feels good to hash things out and feel like he's actually listening to what I'm saying and CARES about what I'm feeling. It helps that I can see in action what we discuss--he actually manages to learn from his mistakes, something Shitfoot never managed to do. And naturally the make-up sex is always Very Good.
The kids are both in rare form, as well. I suppose they're still adjusting to the back-and-forth of it all, but they are getting comfortable with our new routine here, and seem to be fitting in well. We stopped last weekend on the way back from their dad's in Rusty's hometown where they got to see his brother's horses. DD was beside herself with excitement. Of course, to her, horses come in pink and aqua and wear lipstick, but she didn't seem disappointed in the least to find that these were only different shades of brown. She didn't even complain about the smell--her brother, on the other hand, was having none of that. He was far more interested in the target rifle "Uncle C" brought with him to the barn. What's with boys and guns? It's just in his blood, I guess. In any case, I was recounting the story of DD's obsession with horses to our manager, Liz, who informed me that she, too, has a barn full of horses, and one of them is expecting in just a few short weeks. She invited DD to come out to see the foal this spring. She is beside herself with anticipation. It's so adorable--I wonder how long her love of horses will last?
And finally, DS is still working hard at being the Comic of the family. He had gotten a piece of gum as a treat at daycare for being good, and came to find me in the kitchen to show me his trick: he'd pulled it into a short rope and let a couple inches of it hang out of his mouth. "Look Mom, I broke my uvula."
After last week's Major Hitch in the Road, Rusty and I are doing quite well, too. It's so strange--in every other relationship I've ever had, when you have a major disagreement of some sort, it erodes the relationship. But for some reason, it draws us closer together. Maybe we're both hopelessly codependent, I don't know, but it feels good to hash things out and feel like he's actually listening to what I'm saying and CARES about what I'm feeling. It helps that I can see in action what we discuss--he actually manages to learn from his mistakes, something Shitfoot never managed to do. And naturally the make-up sex is always Very Good.
The kids are both in rare form, as well. I suppose they're still adjusting to the back-and-forth of it all, but they are getting comfortable with our new routine here, and seem to be fitting in well. We stopped last weekend on the way back from their dad's in Rusty's hometown where they got to see his brother's horses. DD was beside herself with excitement. Of course, to her, horses come in pink and aqua and wear lipstick, but she didn't seem disappointed in the least to find that these were only different shades of brown. She didn't even complain about the smell--her brother, on the other hand, was having none of that. He was far more interested in the target rifle "Uncle C" brought with him to the barn. What's with boys and guns? It's just in his blood, I guess. In any case, I was recounting the story of DD's obsession with horses to our manager, Liz, who informed me that she, too, has a barn full of horses, and one of them is expecting in just a few short weeks. She invited DD to come out to see the foal this spring. She is beside herself with anticipation. It's so adorable--I wonder how long her love of horses will last?
And finally, DS is still working hard at being the Comic of the family. He had gotten a piece of gum as a treat at daycare for being good, and came to find me in the kitchen to show me his trick: he'd pulled it into a short rope and let a couple inches of it hang out of his mouth. "Look Mom, I broke my uvula."
Comments:
Post a Comment