Tuesday, April 12, 2005
Well thanks to Jessica's unintentional help, my workplace strife has been settled. I knew I had to talk with BossMan, but I just couldn't work up the nerve. I just didn't want to get upset at work (who does, right?), and I knew it'd be a pretty good bet I'd end up near tears either out of emotional stress or anger (that whole crying when I get angry thing... it's infuriating). Saturday afternoon, as people were streaming in for the first shift and settling into their duties, he asked if I'd come into the office and talk for a minute. He said it was pretty clear I was upset and if I would talk, he'd listen. So I laid it all out for him, the long hours, the miscarriage, the stress, etc. "And when you didn't believe I've been here 50 hours a week, well, frankly, I wanted to choke the life out of you." He apologized, and surprisingly, did not get defensive and load me up with excuses and demands. I now get Monday's off, with the understanding that if something needs to be done for the day, I have to come in to finish it first thing in the morning and then I'm free to leave any time. That's all I've ever wanted to begin with!
Oh, the part about Jessica: it turns out that he overheard my phone conversation with her the day before as we discussed flight times (she's planning on visiting soon), and he thought I was scheduling an interview!
So I spent yesterday not getting half of what I wanted done on my "day off", but I had a hella good time doing it. The weather was perfect, I drove around with the windows down, I spent time with my kids... it was absolutely invigorating!
After I picked DD up from school, we went shopping. It was pretty uneventful, not finding either of the items we had gone searching for, but we passed a shop full of sparkling prom dresses, and her eyes just lit up like Christmas. "MOM, are those WEDDING DRESSES?" I explained what they were, but she was drawn to them, and wouldn't give up the idea--"Mom, you could wear one of those in the wedding. Let's go look, pleeeeeeeeeez???!!?" First, I acquiesced thinking we'd thumb through the dresses and say "Ooo, aahh!" and leave. But that wasn't enough. She had to see them on me. I spent 10 minutes explaining that I wasn't going to wear a pink dress in my wedding, and not a yellow one, and not a red one, and not a black one either. Finally, I ran out of excuses--she had chosen three different gowns in various combinations of white and gold, and we were trying them on if it killed her. I obliged her--the girl has good taste, I have to admit. Unfortunately, Mom's got Hooters the size of Albuquerque, and they don't make prom dresses to fit such shapes. Still, the experience was priceless--trying on "wedding dresses" with my little girl. She told me on the way home that her school was having a skating party. Oh the memories it stirred up... I wasn't big into skating as a kid, and only attended two (maybe three) such parties in my formative years--I'm a horrible skater! But going skating was Such A Big Deal, and judging by her enthusiasm, it's still a big deal. So I took her, and walked along the outside rail with her as she inched her way around, then scooted, until eventually she was skating like she just might know what she was doing. There were only 2 other girls from her class there, but they had a blast. And then she hung out with *GASP* a BOY. That girl's gonna put lots of grays in my hair before I hit 50, I'm sure of it...
Oh, the part about Jessica: it turns out that he overheard my phone conversation with her the day before as we discussed flight times (she's planning on visiting soon), and he thought I was scheduling an interview!
So I spent yesterday not getting half of what I wanted done on my "day off", but I had a hella good time doing it. The weather was perfect, I drove around with the windows down, I spent time with my kids... it was absolutely invigorating!
After I picked DD up from school, we went shopping. It was pretty uneventful, not finding either of the items we had gone searching for, but we passed a shop full of sparkling prom dresses, and her eyes just lit up like Christmas. "MOM, are those WEDDING DRESSES?" I explained what they were, but she was drawn to them, and wouldn't give up the idea--"Mom, you could wear one of those in the wedding. Let's go look, pleeeeeeeeeez???!!?" First, I acquiesced thinking we'd thumb through the dresses and say "Ooo, aahh!" and leave. But that wasn't enough. She had to see them on me. I spent 10 minutes explaining that I wasn't going to wear a pink dress in my wedding, and not a yellow one, and not a red one, and not a black one either. Finally, I ran out of excuses--she had chosen three different gowns in various combinations of white and gold, and we were trying them on if it killed her. I obliged her--the girl has good taste, I have to admit. Unfortunately, Mom's got Hooters the size of Albuquerque, and they don't make prom dresses to fit such shapes. Still, the experience was priceless--trying on "wedding dresses" with my little girl. She told me on the way home that her school was having a skating party. Oh the memories it stirred up... I wasn't big into skating as a kid, and only attended two (maybe three) such parties in my formative years--I'm a horrible skater! But going skating was Such A Big Deal, and judging by her enthusiasm, it's still a big deal. So I took her, and walked along the outside rail with her as she inched her way around, then scooted, until eventually she was skating like she just might know what she was doing. There were only 2 other girls from her class there, but they had a blast. And then she hung out with *GASP* a BOY. That girl's gonna put lots of grays in my hair before I hit 50, I'm sure of it...
Comments:
Post a Comment