<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Monday, July 11, 2005

Ah, the joys of summer.

Saturday afternoon, Rusty and I went to the County Fair. His brother was showing horses, so his family would be hanging out. As it turns out, pretty much everyone in his Very Small Hometown would be hanging out, in fact--the repurcussions of which hadn't quite dawned on me until we were pulling into the parking lot. His ExBitch would likely be there somewhere with their daughter. He hadn't called to ask on purpose, it turns out, in hopes that we might "accidentally" run into them, thereby solving the whole issue. Unfortunately, they weren't there. Several other co-stars were in attendance, though.

We casually strolled around the midway and wound our way through the exhibits over and over again--see and be seen, as is the custom, apparently. [*bumps chest proudly* I be represent'n, yo!] There was G, the woman he'd had an affair with, buying a lemonade for her son. "Do you want to go say 'hi'?" I asked him. "No," he said, "Her husband will be around somewhere, I don't want to get her in trouble." Sure enough 10 minutes later, there he came, lumbering through the midway. We weren't getting obviously stared at, but every few minutes, he'd say, "That was so-and-so." "Went to high school with him." It wasn't too much longer before we'd met a cousin, an aunt and uncle... Then I sensed a change in his attitude. He went from 'casually bored' to 'tense but proud'. We had just sauntered past a tent full of his Ex's extended family. "Won't be long now before someone calls her to 'report' us." After a while, feet blistered and the sun going down, we decided our tour of duty was over, and it was time to go eat dinner (what, no midway cuisine?? No elephant ears? No corn on the cob? No funnel cakes??!!). First, though, he couldn't come to town without stopping to see H. He called the Ex and informed her that he was in town and he was on his way to see H. "Oh, and Sassy's with me." "What's SHE going to do?" she asked. "I guess wait in the car." Bitch.

Now see, I know most of you are sitting there thinking, "No way would *I* wait in the car. I'd march my ass right up the front stairs and walk in the door alongside my fiance!" Trust me, I wanted to do that, too. But honestly, I knew that being confrontational was not going to solve the problem. And perhaps if I can continually demonstrate an openness to be flexible but respectful of her wishes and needs, we can either wear her down or trample her ass in court...

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?