Saturday, October 08, 2005
Woe is me! What a dilemma. After giving up hope of ever finding another "dream job" as a pastry chef, I started submitting applications at a wider variety of restaurant jobs. That didn't pan out so well, either, so last week, I gave in and collected applications from a bunch of different stores at the outlet mall down the road.
First, I got a call from Subway. I interviewed yesterday, and it went well, and they scheduled me for a 2nd interview with the general manager on Monday. Then I had another interview at Banana Republic today. And now I have some decisions to make. I'm getting an ulcer, I swear...
See, the Subway job is a management job, which is a good thing, right? Well, it turns out the pay would be about the same as I was making before, which when figured at a 40 hour/week rate came to about 11.30/hr. Not what I wanted to be doing at my age, but beggars and choosers and all that rot, right? So far it sounds like a decent opportunity, right? I mean, it's not my dream to manage a subway, but then, it would be good experience for me to prepare me for owning my own place sometime, right? Then I was told that the managers have to carry pages and be on call at *all times*, and that they are responsible to be at the store every day to open *and* to close. How is that humanly possible??? I've definitely got some questions for the general manager about that one. I am concerned that this will turn into another "Your measly 60 hours per week are not enough!" situation.
Then there's Banana Republic. No, it was not my dream to sell khakis and cable knit sweaters for a living, either, but beggars and choosers, right? The interview went well. She offered me the job on the spot. She can't give me more than 30 hours a week. And it only pays 9/hr, which is actually higher than she pays most of the rest of the staff, but she thinks I'd be worth it. The company promotes from within, and they're getting ready to open a Gap Kids/Baby Gap (owned by the same co.) in the same mall, so staff will be thinning out, which means there *will* be opportunities for an actual full time, and even assoc. mgmt position in the future. Exactly when is not clear. And on top of that, I get 5 free items per month from any Banana Republic/Gap/Old Navy. *ITEMS*, not dollar amount. Oh, and that's actually an UNLIMITED number from both our store and the Gap in our mall, since they're in the same complex. Let me say that again, just to make it clear: UN-LI-MI-TID, people. Unlimited. Have I mentioned how badly I need new, hip clothes? Unlimited. Tempting, verrrry tempting. And to top it off, while waiting for the manager, I discovered that I actually know 2 people working there: Casey and Meg, former co-workers from the restaurant!! Is this the universe telling me to go for it??
First, I got a call from Subway. I interviewed yesterday, and it went well, and they scheduled me for a 2nd interview with the general manager on Monday. Then I had another interview at Banana Republic today. And now I have some decisions to make. I'm getting an ulcer, I swear...
See, the Subway job is a management job, which is a good thing, right? Well, it turns out the pay would be about the same as I was making before, which when figured at a 40 hour/week rate came to about 11.30/hr. Not what I wanted to be doing at my age, but beggars and choosers and all that rot, right? So far it sounds like a decent opportunity, right? I mean, it's not my dream to manage a subway, but then, it would be good experience for me to prepare me for owning my own place sometime, right? Then I was told that the managers have to carry pages and be on call at *all times*, and that they are responsible to be at the store every day to open *and* to close. How is that humanly possible??? I've definitely got some questions for the general manager about that one. I am concerned that this will turn into another "Your measly 60 hours per week are not enough!" situation.
Then there's Banana Republic. No, it was not my dream to sell khakis and cable knit sweaters for a living, either, but beggars and choosers, right? The interview went well. She offered me the job on the spot. She can't give me more than 30 hours a week. And it only pays 9/hr, which is actually higher than she pays most of the rest of the staff, but she thinks I'd be worth it. The company promotes from within, and they're getting ready to open a Gap Kids/Baby Gap (owned by the same co.) in the same mall, so staff will be thinning out, which means there *will* be opportunities for an actual full time, and even assoc. mgmt position in the future. Exactly when is not clear. And on top of that, I get 5 free items per month from any Banana Republic/Gap/Old Navy. *ITEMS*, not dollar amount. Oh, and that's actually an UNLIMITED number from both our store and the Gap in our mall, since they're in the same complex. Let me say that again, just to make it clear: UN-LI-MI-TID, people. Unlimited. Have I mentioned how badly I need new, hip clothes? Unlimited. Tempting, verrrry tempting. And to top it off, while waiting for the manager, I discovered that I actually know 2 people working there: Casey and Meg, former co-workers from the restaurant!! Is this the universe telling me to go for it??
Comments:
Post a Comment