Tuesday, November 15, 2005
Happy Birthday to my baby boy! Today The Boy turned 5. So instead of griping about my pathetic, less-than-stellar life, I will instead talk about how happy I am to have him in my life.
At work today, I saw a woman holding a toddler as she browsed the racks looking for clothes. He was resting his head on her shoulder, and looking a bit sleepy and bored, and absent-mindedly stroking her ponytail. It reminded me of the way The Boy would gently rub my skin while he nursed, a habit he retained long after he was weaned. Just yesterday as he sat next to me on the couch watching television, rubbing my arm. I doubt he even knew he was doing it. Sometimes it bugs me, but these days, most of the time, it just brings back all the memories of that smell of his tiny little head, the sound of his babbling and first words, and the warm of him snuggling up against me. And what's even better, even though he's 5, he's still just as cuddly and lovey as he wsa as a toddler. There's nothing like those little arms around my neck to make me feel better. "You're the bestest momma ever. You're my sweetheart." Of course his speech impediment seems to cement some of the things he says even more solidly in my memory. His R's are hopelessly absent, and his "th"'s come out as f's or z's. For example, for Halloween, he was Za Sing (The Thing), from "Za Tanfastic Four". Last week he told me he was scared to sleep in his new room. I explained that it felt strange because everything was stacked around in boxes and he wasn't used to the new apartment. He informed me that as soon as he turned 5, he'd be OK, because then he'd be a big boy and he wouldn't feel scared anymore.
The Boy has a new girlfriend at the daycare. Her name is Lilly. They smile coyly at each other and act all bashful. As with Tiffany this summer, "She makes me smile!" he informs me. When he told Rusty about his new paramour, Rusty asked, "What about Tiffany?"
"I can have 2 girlfriends." he said.
"Girls don't tend to like that very much. They don't like to share their boyfriends."
"It's OK." he told Rusty, "Lilly can sit on Tiffany's lap."
Rusty just laughed, "I like the way you think, Boy!"
I love that kid--there's no other person in the world that could get me to stay up late to put together a Spiderman "Lego" set. And the smile on his face makes it all worth it.
At work today, I saw a woman holding a toddler as she browsed the racks looking for clothes. He was resting his head on her shoulder, and looking a bit sleepy and bored, and absent-mindedly stroking her ponytail. It reminded me of the way The Boy would gently rub my skin while he nursed, a habit he retained long after he was weaned. Just yesterday as he sat next to me on the couch watching television, rubbing my arm. I doubt he even knew he was doing it. Sometimes it bugs me, but these days, most of the time, it just brings back all the memories of that smell of his tiny little head, the sound of his babbling and first words, and the warm of him snuggling up against me. And what's even better, even though he's 5, he's still just as cuddly and lovey as he wsa as a toddler. There's nothing like those little arms around my neck to make me feel better. "You're the bestest momma ever. You're my sweetheart." Of course his speech impediment seems to cement some of the things he says even more solidly in my memory. His R's are hopelessly absent, and his "th"'s come out as f's or z's. For example, for Halloween, he was Za Sing (The Thing), from "Za Tanfastic Four". Last week he told me he was scared to sleep in his new room. I explained that it felt strange because everything was stacked around in boxes and he wasn't used to the new apartment. He informed me that as soon as he turned 5, he'd be OK, because then he'd be a big boy and he wouldn't feel scared anymore.
The Boy has a new girlfriend at the daycare. Her name is Lilly. They smile coyly at each other and act all bashful. As with Tiffany this summer, "She makes me smile!" he informs me. When he told Rusty about his new paramour, Rusty asked, "What about Tiffany?"
"I can have 2 girlfriends." he said.
"Girls don't tend to like that very much. They don't like to share their boyfriends."
"It's OK." he told Rusty, "Lilly can sit on Tiffany's lap."
Rusty just laughed, "I like the way you think, Boy!"
I love that kid--there's no other person in the world that could get me to stay up late to put together a Spiderman "Lego" set. And the smile on his face makes it all worth it.
Comments:
Post a Comment