Thursday, September 28, 2006
This evening, snuggling on the couch while we waited for dinner to finish in the oven...
DD: Mom, how old were you when you started being disagreeable with your mom?
Me: Errr, welll...
DD: Because Amber is 11, and she doesn't get along with her mom AT ALL, I mean, EVER.
Me: I see. Well, truthfully, I didn't really get along with my mom much when I was a teenager--in the last couple of years of high school, especially. So I guess that makes it around 16 and 17. Things got better after I moved out and went to college, though.
DD: Well, I hope I never fight with you like that.
Me: I hope not, too. But you know, it's normal to have trouble getting along when you're a teen. It's just a normal part of growing up--you start to get more independent and you want your way long before you're really ready for it. So you practice with your family, and it's not always nice and pretty.
DD: Well anyway, I don't want to fight with you. I love you too much. Why do you think Amber fights with her mom so much?
Me: I really couldn't guess, honey.
DD: I mean, if it's normal to fight like that when you're a teenager, why is she doing it when she's only 11? Is it bad that she's not a teenager yet?
Me: Yeah, I think it's bad. But I don't know Amber or her mom well enough to tell what's really happening that makes them fight. But I know if we fought like that, I'd do everything I could think of to fix what was making it happen.
DD: Good. I'm lucky to have such a good mom.
DD: Mom, how old were you when you started being disagreeable with your mom?
Me: Errr, welll...
DD: Because Amber is 11, and she doesn't get along with her mom AT ALL, I mean, EVER.
Me: I see. Well, truthfully, I didn't really get along with my mom much when I was a teenager--in the last couple of years of high school, especially. So I guess that makes it around 16 and 17. Things got better after I moved out and went to college, though.
DD: Well, I hope I never fight with you like that.
Me: I hope not, too. But you know, it's normal to have trouble getting along when you're a teen. It's just a normal part of growing up--you start to get more independent and you want your way long before you're really ready for it. So you practice with your family, and it's not always nice and pretty.
DD: Well anyway, I don't want to fight with you. I love you too much. Why do you think Amber fights with her mom so much?
Me: I really couldn't guess, honey.
DD: I mean, if it's normal to fight like that when you're a teenager, why is she doing it when she's only 11? Is it bad that she's not a teenager yet?
Me: Yeah, I think it's bad. But I don't know Amber or her mom well enough to tell what's really happening that makes them fight. But I know if we fought like that, I'd do everything I could think of to fix what was making it happen.
DD: Good. I'm lucky to have such a good mom.
Comments:
Post a Comment