Sunday, July 29, 2007
So I'm thinking of making a voodoo doll of Chuck. Anyone near New Jersey? We could track him down to get a few strands of hair...
Basically, he's telling me to get bent. Not in so many words, and no, he's still not said, "We don't want to rent a space to you." After the back and forth about the ideal space, he's just come up with all sorts of excuses for all of my questions--even though the space we're talking about has now been sitting empty for 3 months, he claims there's a lease signed for it. In fact, there's a lease signed for all the empty spaces (2 other stores closed in the past 2 months, both were in large spaces). My question is, who would sign a lease and then let the space just sit there empty? He's full of shit. So I guess this means I have to refocus on one of the 'strip mall' places.
I'm ambivalent about this option--first of all, I can't focus on coffee alone in that space, because when Starbucks moves in, I'll be screwed. So what else do I do? I've been toying with the idea of a bakery, but I'm dragging my feet because I know it will require a lot more day-to-day work from me than the original coffee shop plan did. And a lot more 5am kind of hours. Bleah. But in this area, I'm not sure what else will work. There's already an Arby's, McD's and Subway in the immediate area, so focusing on sandwiches is useless. I'm not about to open a bar (though the profit in liquor is enticing, no WAY do I want to deal with all the regulations and DRUNKS). I'd love to open a Great Harvest or Panera Bread or somesuch, but to get a franchise, you have to have a net worth of a POSITIVE nature with several zeroes in the figure. Honestly, it's something I would consider if I could keep this shop open for a few years and build up some value in it. But for now, it's not an option. On the plus side, moving into the strip mall means I can name it whatever I want... although I will probably stick with Java Dave's since the branding helps keep it looking professional.
As I've spent time mulling over this dilemma, I decided that it's time to force some movement ahead in my life. I've been stuck in a holding pattern for 3 years now... waiting to get married, waiting to buy a house, waiting to start a new job or business... Obviously I can't just magically open the business, though LORD knows I wish I could, and I still haven't given up (though LORD knows I wish I could), but that's something that's just not in my control and I have to keep working on it at this pace. So I applied for a few new jobs, thinking that at least a pay increase and a change of scenery would help alleviate the stress I've been under at work. I interviewed for a chef's job at a huge manufacturer in town, working in one of their many cafeterias. Sounds unglamorous, but it's a 40 hr, Monday-Friday kind of job, which is so rare in that industry that it is quite intriguing. I'm a little suspicious though, because the 'boss' told me the reason that he interviewed me is he's always looking for people with my skills, and they've recently had some serious attitude problems with a couple of their people, so he's got to have a Come To Jesus meeting with them, and he's positive that he'll have to fire at least one of them. So that means that I have no idea WHEN the job will be available, but also, I'll be walking into a hostile environment. Ah well, good experience, right?
And the marriage thing... I still have so many reasons to wait. I love Rusty, and in a lot of practical ways, I feel like we're already married. This is one of those areas where I get wiggy because I still don't trust my instincts, and I'm really afraid of making the wrong decision, and I don't want to get divorced again!! Of course he doesn't either, and I have enormous faith in his love and devotion to me. Gun shy, I guess. And I really *DO* want a wedding. AND a honeymoon. Just once in my life, you know? And I don't plan on getting married again if this didn't work out!
So then the house thing... with the market crashing all over the country, I figured why not join the chaos? I have begun the paperwork for a mortgage pre-approval. I was surprised to learn my credit score was higher than I thought. Not fabulous, but pretty good. The agent was impressed, which weirded me out, and seemed to think I could qualify for my target amount on my own, despite my low income and nothing available for downpayment. She's running it on my credit and another with Rusty. I'm sure we'll qualify for more together, and strangely, I feel confident about jumping into that contract with him--much less emotional than a marriage license! I've got more paperwork to bring to her, but it looks like we might be able to move into a fairly nice home in the next month or 2. That is really freaking exciting. REALLY freaking exciting. I'm giddy. Well, Sassy's version of Giddy--I tend to be a little WASPy about such things--'we mustn't make a scene!', combined with that Catholic guilt--'if you enjoy it too much, God will take it away!'...
Basically, he's telling me to get bent. Not in so many words, and no, he's still not said, "We don't want to rent a space to you." After the back and forth about the ideal space, he's just come up with all sorts of excuses for all of my questions--even though the space we're talking about has now been sitting empty for 3 months, he claims there's a lease signed for it. In fact, there's a lease signed for all the empty spaces (2 other stores closed in the past 2 months, both were in large spaces). My question is, who would sign a lease and then let the space just sit there empty? He's full of shit. So I guess this means I have to refocus on one of the 'strip mall' places.
I'm ambivalent about this option--first of all, I can't focus on coffee alone in that space, because when Starbucks moves in, I'll be screwed. So what else do I do? I've been toying with the idea of a bakery, but I'm dragging my feet because I know it will require a lot more day-to-day work from me than the original coffee shop plan did. And a lot more 5am kind of hours. Bleah. But in this area, I'm not sure what else will work. There's already an Arby's, McD's and Subway in the immediate area, so focusing on sandwiches is useless. I'm not about to open a bar (though the profit in liquor is enticing, no WAY do I want to deal with all the regulations and DRUNKS). I'd love to open a Great Harvest or Panera Bread or somesuch, but to get a franchise, you have to have a net worth of a POSITIVE nature with several zeroes in the figure. Honestly, it's something I would consider if I could keep this shop open for a few years and build up some value in it. But for now, it's not an option. On the plus side, moving into the strip mall means I can name it whatever I want... although I will probably stick with Java Dave's since the branding helps keep it looking professional.
As I've spent time mulling over this dilemma, I decided that it's time to force some movement ahead in my life. I've been stuck in a holding pattern for 3 years now... waiting to get married, waiting to buy a house, waiting to start a new job or business... Obviously I can't just magically open the business, though LORD knows I wish I could, and I still haven't given up (though LORD knows I wish I could), but that's something that's just not in my control and I have to keep working on it at this pace. So I applied for a few new jobs, thinking that at least a pay increase and a change of scenery would help alleviate the stress I've been under at work. I interviewed for a chef's job at a huge manufacturer in town, working in one of their many cafeterias. Sounds unglamorous, but it's a 40 hr, Monday-Friday kind of job, which is so rare in that industry that it is quite intriguing. I'm a little suspicious though, because the 'boss' told me the reason that he interviewed me is he's always looking for people with my skills, and they've recently had some serious attitude problems with a couple of their people, so he's got to have a Come To Jesus meeting with them, and he's positive that he'll have to fire at least one of them. So that means that I have no idea WHEN the job will be available, but also, I'll be walking into a hostile environment. Ah well, good experience, right?
And the marriage thing... I still have so many reasons to wait. I love Rusty, and in a lot of practical ways, I feel like we're already married. This is one of those areas where I get wiggy because I still don't trust my instincts, and I'm really afraid of making the wrong decision, and I don't want to get divorced again!! Of course he doesn't either, and I have enormous faith in his love and devotion to me. Gun shy, I guess. And I really *DO* want a wedding. AND a honeymoon. Just once in my life, you know? And I don't plan on getting married again if this didn't work out!
So then the house thing... with the market crashing all over the country, I figured why not join the chaos? I have begun the paperwork for a mortgage pre-approval. I was surprised to learn my credit score was higher than I thought. Not fabulous, but pretty good. The agent was impressed, which weirded me out, and seemed to think I could qualify for my target amount on my own, despite my low income and nothing available for downpayment. She's running it on my credit and another with Rusty. I'm sure we'll qualify for more together, and strangely, I feel confident about jumping into that contract with him--much less emotional than a marriage license! I've got more paperwork to bring to her, but it looks like we might be able to move into a fairly nice home in the next month or 2. That is really freaking exciting. REALLY freaking exciting. I'm giddy. Well, Sassy's version of Giddy--I tend to be a little WASPy about such things--'we mustn't make a scene!', combined with that Catholic guilt--'if you enjoy it too much, God will take it away!'...
Comments:
Post a Comment