Thursday, January 17, 2008
What a bizarre day The Universe gave me today... First, I have had building nerves about an upcoming job interview tomorrow. Just a manager position at a local Subway. Tres Glam, Sassy, you Sandwich Vixen. I digress... I was planning on grilling B at work about where he thought I should target my salary request, given that he has experience managing a similar operation locally. But when I got there, I found that he had been marked off the schedule. Bummer. Later, I found out that his girlfriend had given birth to their new baby yesterday, so good for him, bad for me. I think I'll call him tomorrow afternoon to see if he can give me any ideas.
Anyway, the store was PAINFULLY slow. We had maybe 15 customers in the store every hour. Mind numbingly S-L-O-W... So out of nowhere this guy walks up and foists an armload of clothes at me and asks if I can hold them while he finishes shopping. There was something familiar about him, but all I knew for certain is he rubbed me the wrong way. I folded his items neatly while I waited for him to finish shopping, and he came back. The suits he bought rang up to $545. He swiped his AmEx. I got a "Call for Authorization" message. I picked up the phone, and he immediatley started shifting and huffing as if this were a horrible inconvenience. I needed his card number to get the approval code, so I asked for his card. I paused when I read the name on the card, and it took a few seconds to dawn on me who I was waiting on. Remember Chef G-dini? Take a look at late March and early April 2004 for the clusterfuck of a guest chef special menu night we had at the restaurant with the Biggest Prick on the planet. THAT Chef G-dini. So you can imagine my satisfaction when his card was declined. He promptly chose another card. It, too, was declined. It was very difficult not to smile sweetly at him. He then grudgingly pulled out $600 in cash and paid for his items and left. He never showed a hint of recognition. Jerk.
What, Oh Great Universe, does this message mean? Here I am on the brink of a job intereview that will get me back into the restaurant business, although with both feet dragging, admittedly... and HE walks into my store and has two credit cards declined? What does it MEAN??
See, this is why I'm a terrible psychic. I've often wondered if I could ever hone the weird twinges of "sight" that I get now and then into something more useful, but this is my obstacle: I can get all sorts of messages, but they're so unclear, they may as well be in Sudanese for all I can get out of them...
Anyway, the store was PAINFULLY slow. We had maybe 15 customers in the store every hour. Mind numbingly S-L-O-W... So out of nowhere this guy walks up and foists an armload of clothes at me and asks if I can hold them while he finishes shopping. There was something familiar about him, but all I knew for certain is he rubbed me the wrong way. I folded his items neatly while I waited for him to finish shopping, and he came back. The suits he bought rang up to $545. He swiped his AmEx. I got a "Call for Authorization" message. I picked up the phone, and he immediatley started shifting and huffing as if this were a horrible inconvenience. I needed his card number to get the approval code, so I asked for his card. I paused when I read the name on the card, and it took a few seconds to dawn on me who I was waiting on. Remember Chef G-dini? Take a look at late March and early April 2004 for the clusterfuck of a guest chef special menu night we had at the restaurant with the Biggest Prick on the planet. THAT Chef G-dini. So you can imagine my satisfaction when his card was declined. He promptly chose another card. It, too, was declined. It was very difficult not to smile sweetly at him. He then grudgingly pulled out $600 in cash and paid for his items and left. He never showed a hint of recognition. Jerk.
What, Oh Great Universe, does this message mean? Here I am on the brink of a job intereview that will get me back into the restaurant business, although with both feet dragging, admittedly... and HE walks into my store and has two credit cards declined? What does it MEAN??
See, this is why I'm a terrible psychic. I've often wondered if I could ever hone the weird twinges of "sight" that I get now and then into something more useful, but this is my obstacle: I can get all sorts of messages, but they're so unclear, they may as well be in Sudanese for all I can get out of them...
Comments:
Post a Comment