Monday, April 28, 2008
OK, so I trudged through two months of mind-numbing shirt folding without blogging. Sorry.
As you may have imagined, I did not get the promotion. I was not hurt by this, as I knew in my heart I didn't really want it in the first place, and I'm just sort of blindly fumbling along trying to figure out how to get out of this corner I've painted myself into. Work has gotten more and more intolerable as each day passes, I can barely drag myself out of bed some days, I hate it so much. I see those Monster.com commercials about "Follow Your Heart" and I just want to scream...
Anyway, a couple of weeks ago, I decided to redouble my efforts to find a different job, and started a mass application attack across every company I can find in every county within 50 miles. SOMETHING had to turn up, right? Two days into this effort, I got a call from a company I had interviewed with a few months ago--completely out of the blue. I hadn't gotten the job I had interviewed with them for, but a new job had opened up, and he thought I'd be a perfect fit.
Fast forward to today, my first day on the job. It certainly went better than that job out at the Army base--I didn't fall on my ass, at least! So far, the job looks painfully easy. I'm the manager of the cafeteria services at one a manufacturing plant (company unnamed, but it's big and has several installations throughout our city). The job is a lot of paperwork and a lot of standing around and gladhanding people. I don't mind the paperwork. I think the hardest part will be being the hardass to keep some slackers in line while keeping a smile on my face and keeping them motivated. All in all, everyone was very nice and I think I will enjoy it there.
Shitfoot used to tease me because I have always tried to set goals for myself, and my efforts to reach those goals usually ended up involving detailed plots and plans. "Sassy's scheming again!" he'd chortle. I have since realized that this habit of mine isn't the bad thing he tried to make me believe, and I refuse to give it up. I plan on using what I can learn from this job to bolster my move for SBA funding to open my damned coffee shop. My store space is still standing open, "FOR LEASE" sign blowing in the wind and looking lonely as hell. Business in the mall area is down, and will probably continue to be so for a few more months, but I am confident it will turn around, and I'm also confident that even at this slower pace, I would be a raving success.
So, I have had to keep my retail job for the moment, because I have to apply for a mortgage, and you know how they hate for you to have a new job when you apply for a mortgage. I hope it will help, anyway. I'm hoping desperately that the mortgage will come through, we'll find a decent house at the amount we can afford, and THEN I can get an SBA Loan (actually, having a mortgage should bolster my application tremendously--AND my credit reports have improved dramatically in the past 6 months as well). And THEN I can walk away from this job, great though it is, and FINALLY reach that ultimate Java Goal I set for myself errr, was it 2 years ago or 3?? Ugh.
And somewhere in there, I can finally get married. Rusty has been incredibly patient with me, and I'm actually getting impatient with the whole waiting game. It's about time things got moving again in my life!
As you may have imagined, I did not get the promotion. I was not hurt by this, as I knew in my heart I didn't really want it in the first place, and I'm just sort of blindly fumbling along trying to figure out how to get out of this corner I've painted myself into. Work has gotten more and more intolerable as each day passes, I can barely drag myself out of bed some days, I hate it so much. I see those Monster.com commercials about "Follow Your Heart" and I just want to scream...
Anyway, a couple of weeks ago, I decided to redouble my efforts to find a different job, and started a mass application attack across every company I can find in every county within 50 miles. SOMETHING had to turn up, right? Two days into this effort, I got a call from a company I had interviewed with a few months ago--completely out of the blue. I hadn't gotten the job I had interviewed with them for, but a new job had opened up, and he thought I'd be a perfect fit.
Fast forward to today, my first day on the job. It certainly went better than that job out at the Army base--I didn't fall on my ass, at least! So far, the job looks painfully easy. I'm the manager of the cafeteria services at one a manufacturing plant (company unnamed, but it's big and has several installations throughout our city). The job is a lot of paperwork and a lot of standing around and gladhanding people. I don't mind the paperwork. I think the hardest part will be being the hardass to keep some slackers in line while keeping a smile on my face and keeping them motivated. All in all, everyone was very nice and I think I will enjoy it there.
Shitfoot used to tease me because I have always tried to set goals for myself, and my efforts to reach those goals usually ended up involving detailed plots and plans. "Sassy's scheming again!" he'd chortle. I have since realized that this habit of mine isn't the bad thing he tried to make me believe, and I refuse to give it up. I plan on using what I can learn from this job to bolster my move for SBA funding to open my damned coffee shop. My store space is still standing open, "FOR LEASE" sign blowing in the wind and looking lonely as hell. Business in the mall area is down, and will probably continue to be so for a few more months, but I am confident it will turn around, and I'm also confident that even at this slower pace, I would be a raving success.
So, I have had to keep my retail job for the moment, because I have to apply for a mortgage, and you know how they hate for you to have a new job when you apply for a mortgage. I hope it will help, anyway. I'm hoping desperately that the mortgage will come through, we'll find a decent house at the amount we can afford, and THEN I can get an SBA Loan (actually, having a mortgage should bolster my application tremendously--AND my credit reports have improved dramatically in the past 6 months as well). And THEN I can walk away from this job, great though it is, and FINALLY reach that ultimate Java Goal I set for myself errr, was it 2 years ago or 3?? Ugh.
And somewhere in there, I can finally get married. Rusty has been incredibly patient with me, and I'm actually getting impatient with the whole waiting game. It's about time things got moving again in my life!
Comments:
Post a Comment