<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Tuesday, July 08, 2008

Oh. My. GOD.

I'm beginning to see why Missy reminds me of Sea Hag. They are two peas in a pod: completely dillussional, completely self-centered, and complete BITCHES.

After everyone else had left yesterday, I got a call from one of our catering customers asking to change his order for today. They had ordered a hot meal, but decided their meeting may run long, so it'd be more practical to order box lunches instead. I did the necessary paperwork, made notes on the old ones so no one would accidentally make the wrong thing before I came in the next day (not likely, but hey). First thing this morning, I informed the two cooks who had been assigned the hot meal of the change. Then I told Missy that since it had changed, I needed her to do the box lunches. You'd think I asked her to go clean the toilets. She huffed and puffed and stomped around. I left her to her high blood pressure and went about my own business. About 2 hours later, I had prepared and delivered 3 other catering orders, and then stopped to call in the week's dairy order before checking on everyone else once more. All was fine, they informed me, so I went back to the desk to do some more paperwork. Missy and Marsha start bitching to each other that Chrystal is just standing around doing nothing (the fact that Chrystal "never" does "anything" is a sore spot with Missy, who thinks that Chrystal's extra hours lately have something to do with her shorter hours). So Chrystal is aparently doing NOTHING but standing around talking to Jennifer (the other cashier).

Now, I know that Chrystal is not "doing nothing", but I wanted to know exactly what she was doing, so that I could point out to the Bitches that they were WRONG and needed to mind their own damned business. I found Chrystal at the cash register, and asked her what she was doing. "Covering a bathroom break for Jen. Missy wouldn't do it." (Jen had asked me an hour previously, but I was about to leav--WITH Chrystal--with a catering order, so I told her to ask Missy--who aparently refused to do it due to bad blood over this whole stupid issue) So I went back to the kitchen. Naturally, Missy wouldn't even turn to face me when I spoke to her, so I talked to the back of her head.

"Just so you know, because you're so interested, Chrystal is not "doing nothing", she is covering a bathroom break for Jen--the one she asked for an hour ago and you neglected to give her. And by the way, what Chrystal is doing from one minute to the next is none of your business unless you've given her a job to do."

Missy turned on her heel and got up in my face, actually *gave me the HAND*, and started going off about how unfair it was that Chrystal is getting more hours while hers are getting cut when CHRYSTAL NEVER DOES ANYTHING!! [Hey bitch, did you not just hear me tell you that she IS working, but it's still none of your BUSINESS??] I put my hand up--instinctively to block her "hand", and pointed at her (oo, that was really annoying of me, LOL) and said, "Missy, it's THIS ATTITUDE that is the reason your hours are getting cut. You need to learn to mind your own business." She went even more berserk, screaming, "DON'T YOU POINT YOUR FINGER AT ME!!!" Then she tore off her gloves and threatened to call Jim. "Please, call him. He's a busy man, and he doesn't want to have to deal with your bullshit drama, but hey, if it'll shut you up, CALL HIM." She stomped off. She returned a few minutes later, but stomped off in a different direction to avoid being in the same room with me. Shortly after, my phone rang. I knew it was Jim.
Jim: "OK, what the HELL is wrong with HER NOW??"
Me: "She didn't like being told to mind her own business and quit bitching about what Chrystal is doing."
Jim: "She just told me everyone in the kitchen is ready to quit over you and your attitude."
Me: "Ha! That's hilarious. She has an overly-inflated ego, and thinks that everyone around her shares her thoughts and feelings. I have everyone in the kitchen besides Marsha pulling ME aside with problems with HER."
Jim: "She says she busts her ass every day she's here while Chrystal just sits around."
Me: "Please highlight the phrase, 'WHEN SHE'S HERE'. And since when does it matter to her what Chrystal is doing from one minute to the next?"
Jim: "*sigh* OK, I'll be over in a little bit. We'll sit down with her and talk.
Missy made herself scarce (note: NOT busting her ass) until Jim came, and we sat down in the cafeteria.
Jim asked Missy to explain herself, and she launched into the same bitchfest she'd already repeated to both of us about Chrystal . Jim explained that we weren't here to talk about Chrystal, to stay on topic. She mentioned getting her hours cut in a manner that made it clear that she believed that Chrystal was getting "HER" hours. Jim stopped her and explained, with apology, the actual reason her hours were getting cut--100% attitude problem, and that her hours and Chrystal's hours were completely unrelated. She had no related response, and started reviewing every little mistake I've ever made, most of which revealed a very poor understanding of reality. For example, she was livid that she had to make all those box lunches.

Jim: [knowing that this IS part of her job] So, you don't think you should be making the box lunches?
Missy: It's not THAT, it's just that Sassy didn't give it to me YESTERDAY so we could pre-prep all that stuff. I just sliced all that meat for Lenny yesterday, and I could have done what we needed yesterday, too, and we'd have had a lot less to do today and [yammer yammer yammer, while I'm trying to get a word in edgewise.]
Me: If you'd slow down for a second and let me explain, as I had already explained this morning, this lunch order was changed yesterday afternoon after everyone had already left. *I* didn't give it to you yesterday because it didn't EXIST yesterday. This is a perfect example of your poor attitude: if you had bothered to either listen to me when I gave you the order, or asked QUESTIONS before getting all fired up and pissed off, you would have KNOWN why it wasn't given to you earlier, and you could have avoided this whole scene."

She abandoned that tack and took up the "She does nothing but sit on the computer." garbage again, peppering it with "When Patty did it..." and "Patty always helped everyone..." whatevers. Jim interrupted her (with great effort) to explain that I am not Patty, I do not do everything exactly like Patty, and he didn't hire me to be Patty, and that he already knew (from our previous meeting with Patty) that I have been asking everyone how they're doing and if they need help with anything, and I get the universal response, "I'm fine, no I don't need anything.", and that you forfeit the right to complain about the lack of help when you refuse it when it's offered, and if he had hired me to do half of everyone else's duties, he wouldn't need everyone else in the kitchen, I could just do it all myself. I added that I had no idea how Patty operated before I came, and that I am still not familiar enough with everyone's routines enough to simply LOOK at them and know what they need, and that I REQUIRE them to speak up if they need asssistance.

Once again she abandoned that tack and tried to return to the Chrystal issue again. Jim cut her off. When confronted with the high number of absences, she claimed all of her absences are due to the fact that she needs a hysterectomy and has ovarian cysts, and it's not HER fault if she's bleeding so heavy she can't stand up, blah blah (going into gory details, I expect to attempt to skeeve Jim out and get the upper hand). He wasn't having it. "But that's not every week, though." "Well, last week it was my daughter, she has poison sumac and I had to take her to the doctor, it wasn't ME!!" "Right, but you see my point, right?" Clearly, she didn't. I showed him the time sheets from the past 9 weeks (since I've been there) showing that she'd missed 8 days during that time, and that didn't account for the days that she was late, left early or left to go to the chiropractor (she has cyatic nerve problems, too, you know). "But I have doctor's notes!" "But Missy, I have 9 kitchens to oversee, and when I hire someone, I need to be confident that they're going to show up consistently. 8 days is too many, it doesn't matter what your reasons are. If you can't show up to do the job, I need to hire someone who will."

Jim reiterated that her attitude was a serious issue, and she actually denied it.

Jim: You mean, you don't think you have an attitude problem?
Missy: No.
Jim: [knowing full well that Patty reprimanded her at least 3 times over the issue AND they had another employee actually ask to be relocated just to get away from her] You mean nobody's ever had to talk to you about an attitude problem?
Missy: No.
Jim: [blinking and taking a slow, deep breath] You mean Patty has NEVER taked to you about an attitude problem?
Missy: No.
Jim: And you don't think your attitude had anything to do with Sam moving to another kitchen?Missy: Well, she [blah blah blah, pointless details that reveal her complete inability to take responsibility]

She insisted that "everyone" is upset with me, and it's all MY fault, and that he should talk to everyone individually. She was crying by this time, so she was making a hasty retreat.

Jim took the time to privately interview everyone in the kitchen, and came to the conclusion that no, no one else was ready to quit, and the biggest problem everyone had with me was that I'm not Patty, and I'm still working out the kinks in some of the systems. Lenny, for example (who Missy named as one who hates me and is ready to quit), said his only issue was that we keep running out of stuff, and since I'm in charge of ordering, it's aparently my fault. Except that our supplier has had a ton of stuff backstocked lately (due to flooding), AND that the flood had changed all the rules WRT anticipating future business, so there's no way I could be expected to always get it right, especially since our stockroom and coolers are always full at our regular business levels and there's just not enough ROOM to store all the extra's I'd LIKE to order "just in case".

He told me that almost universally, everyone's response was that Missy starts everything by getting all worked up and complaining to anyone who'll listen. He got a pretty clear picture of how it's been going--that I'm not perfect, but not screwing up, either, and that clearly Missy thought she should have gotten my job and is just too bitter to get past it. "Oh, and if she cussed at me one more time, I swear I was going to fire her on the spot." We concluded that I would write a job description for both her and for Chrystal so that there would be no more bickering about who did whose jobs.
So a couple hours later, Missy asked me if her hours would continue to be cut.
"That will depend on both our workload and your attitude."

She walked away without saying anything.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?