<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Tuesday, July 29, 2008

They dropped a bomb on me...

Are you fucking kidding me? I'm still in a daze trying to figure this out. We had a monthly manager's meeting today, which I sat through begrudgingly because 80% of the time is wasted on nonsense. SO I was even more chagrinned when, as the meeting adjourned, Patty asked me to stay to talk with her.

Our company has had some restructuring lately, with new kitchens being added to our region, and our boss inheriting new properties to handle, etc. Aparently, these new kitchens are managed by people who are in need of retraining. When Patty trained me and the other newest manager in our group, she did it at our kitchens. These new kitchens are about 30 miles away, and I'm guessing that Patty didn't want to have to drive there every day. Their big plan is to have Patty train each of those managers in one of our kitchens. Guess whose??!! Why, MINE, of course. It used to be hers before she was promoted, remember. And what was is their ingenious plan for me, you ask? They want me to come to Kitchen 1 and manage the catering.

Have I mentioned that catering is the one element of my job that I hate the most? So I have two employees to help do all that account's catering. They do way more catering than I do at my current kitchen, but I have no idea what to expect. "Some days you'll have one or two for 20 or 30 people, other days you'll be serving 500, you never know." So some days I'll be bored and some days I'll be pulling my hair out? Great.

They claim I'm needed there because the manager in Kitchen 1 has way too much on her hands with her kitchen (less business than mine, TYVM), and administrative duties she inherited when the director's administrative assistant went on maternity leave. Yeaaaahhh... (Oh, and did I mention they hadn't told her that I was moving into her territory yet?)

Oh, and they dangled a pathetic little carrot in front of me claiming that they need me to help them develop a line of breakfast pastries that they can sell using all the basic ingredients that all the kitchens already carry. I'm not an idiot, I know when I'm being bait-and-switched, and I know I'll get all of an hour every other week at most to even think about such things, and anything I do will be patently ignored or diverted until it becomes completely obsolete.

Is it bad that I've only been working for this company for 3 months and I'm already this cynical?

I'm so disgusted right now because I could be using this energy to build MY OWN BUSINESS. But no, I don't have $20k sitting around collecting dust, so nobody will approve an SBA loan to do it.

I'm not dumb enough to think this isn't a demotion. And what's worse is, when they're done training all these mysterious "outsider managers", they expect me to go back to that one as if nothing ever happened--and they think I'm going to get any respect out of those cackling little bitches????

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?