<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Tuesday, September 02, 2008

Oh My GOD, what a fucking day. I should have never gotten out of bed.

Got to work, and it was a pretty light load. In fact, so light, I had to look for something to do to keep busy. I hate being bored, and I hate busywork. So I made a batch of zuccini bread. Then R told me that Patty fucked up--she was supposed to send M back to The Other Kitchen and move V over to ours--all mysteriously necessary because a 3rd employee has to get 40 hrs to get her insurance and the position she was in last week was part time (never mind we could have simply given her additional tasks, no we had to complicate things by moving all sorts of people all over the place). So Patty told M on Friday to go back to The Other Kitchen on Monday. She neglected to contact V to inform her to report to the 7th Circle of Hell Kitchen. So we're short a person. I immediately started working on prepping for the deli, since that's the position that would be open. R told K that she'd have to serve (she usually works catering, and they had no orders after 9am). She was pissed and pitched a big hissy, slamming her stuff around and pouting openly.

[An aside: through the course of the morning, Mgr. #2 was trying to coordinate with me when we should get some pre-prep done for an upcoming weekend gig. I mentioned I'd be unavailable on Th/Fri because I had to go out of town to HQ for the monthy Mgr. Training thing I'd missed last month because they failed to tell me about it (an overnight trip) until 2 days prior. I had to scramble like crazy to find arrangements for the kids for overnight during the week (since Rusty works nights and Shitfoot is 70 miles away). Mgr. #2 said, "What??", and shot out of the room. A minute later he returned and said, "You're not going on the trip. BossMan said he's taking vacation that week, so nobody's going." Nice. Nice of you to tell me, thanks. 'Cause finding childcare at 4am is SO FUCKING EASY.]

I gave her the items I'd already prepped, and started to find another I could do for her when Patty came in and handed me a stack of papers and asked if I could take some time to "finish these".

"These" were the profit/loss statement reconciliation papers for the plant they took me out of. Let's review: she wanted ME to do the month-end paperwork (the hardest task there is, frankly) for the kitchen they took me out of, even though they have a Trainee there who needs to learn this shit.

You get a one page statement to fill in about 8 different numbers that you pull off of two other documents--the first one is a summar of all the numbers that "You" (the manager at that location) have reported over the month (stuff like payroll, food bills, daily sales, etc.), the other is a printout from accounting at headquarters showing their actual numbers. You find the two corresponding numbers and then explain the difference between the two.

Easy as pie? Hardly. Especially if no one has bothered explaining exactly what goes into that figure in "Op Cost Bef Fix Per". And even particularly MORE difficult if every scrap of paper and every file that those numbers came from are in a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT OFFICE. Why yes, I'd like to explain to you why I reported that I spent $13,500 with Sysco last month and yet they submitted bills for $14200. But since I don't have access to the actual bills these numbers refer to, nor the inventory reports they are related to, how the fuck should I know??

But you know what? I figured it out. I was able to find the numbers, make sense of them and explain why they were different. It took about 3 hours, but I did. By then, lunch was being served, so I finished up, wrestled a bit with the computer, which was slow and timing out and being a pain in the ass, then helped serve lunch before finally grabbing a plate and slamming a turkey sandwich before starting to clean up. Oh no, no time for that: Sysco just showed up with the food delivery. So I checked that in, and by the time he was done, everyone was busy cleaning up and couldn't help put it away. So I started that, gingerly--my back has mysteriously decided to spasm for no apparent reason and I couldn't get comfortable in any position. Before I could finish, I noticed that the other managers from other kitchens started trickling in. After the 3rd one, I thought, "Oh gee, there must be a meeting today." I've been at work since 6am, but hey, what's a couple extra hours, right?

The meeting was an instructional lecture about how to read the P&L statements I had just spent the whole morning figuring out on my FUCKING OWN thankyouverymuch. 3 hours later (yes, THREE HOURS), BossMan says, OK, that's it for Other Kitchen, you can go. The Trainee got up and left the room. I shuffled my papers and put them away, but stayed. A few seconds later, he looked up and said, "Oh, Sassy, you're still Other Kitchen. You can go."
Gee.

So I've already had a high-blood-pressure day. I'll arrive home right at dinner time and everything I have in the house requires a decent prep-time. I can feel the pressure going higher. I whipped up some quick spaghetti for the kids, but there wasn't enough for everyone, so I reheated some leftovers for myself and sat down at the computer to finish paying some bills and try to relax a little. It locks up while downloading some email. It refuses to quit on it's own. I force it to shut down with the power button, and bring it back up.

Hello, BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH!

I spent the rest of the evening trying to recover what is essentially a very expensive dust collector. It won't boot in SAFE mode. It won't even boot off the Windows disk. It's dead.

Rusty sat back and watched 90210, which pissed me off even more--nothing like listening to vapid, shallow people act bitchy to each other just to glorify beautiful people while you are trying to awaken the Inner IT Nerd in you and work a Computer Miracle.

It makes me want to eat everything in the house and wash it down with a bottle of vodka.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?