Tuesday, September 23, 2008
Ok, I suppose a few details are in order.
They let me work most of the day before calling me into the office and interrogating me about why I was late. What can I say? I woke up late with no alarm. It happens sometimes. My Asst.Mgr. did it in the first month I was there and nobody blew up sideways over it. She's missed a total of 13 days in the first 6 months of the year and nobody fired her. I digress. BossMan said my lateness is an obvious sign that he can't count on me. We had "all these caterings" and I had two cakes to finish, and I was late. Actually, for your information BossMan, I was late coming in, but absolutely nothing I was responsible for was late. I busted my ass and got caught up without any help, thankyou. But who cares, I'm free of the warden.
Here's what I think really happened:
Me: "Is there paperwork I need to fill out for insurance? My 90 days will be next month."
Patty: "Did you need coverage for just yourself or for your family, too?"
Me: "I need coverage for my kids."
Patty: "Well we can't provide coverage for your family unless it's court ordered." [Note, this is the first time this detail was mentioned. When I accepted the job, I was told I could get insurance, period.]
Me: "It is in my divorce that I'm the insurance provider for my kids."
Patty: "oh. Well, we'll need copies of that paperwork."
The next day I gave her a copy of the letter I'd just received from the state asking for proof of insurance due to my court ordered coverage. She told me that wasn't good enough, they needed my actual divorce papers. I copied the page that specifically spells it out, along with the front page that lists the case#, etc., and explained that since the other pages contained personal information unrelated to my job such as my children's soc. sec. #'s, they didn't need any of the other pages. A few days later she gave me a packet to fill out for insurance with a note from headquarters saying "Have Sassy return this by 6/27" (she gave it to me an hour before we closed on 6/27); the paperwork was incomplete--asking me to chose between Plan A or Plan B, but providing no explanation of the difference between the two or the cost of either. Instead of wasting time returning it to Patty, I forwarded the complete paperworka week later directly to the HR office at headquarters, effectively going over her head. It was about 2 weeks later that they moved me and started harrassing me over every little thing other employees did that I hadn't been trained to do anything about.
I know personally of at least 3 other employees who were promised insurance at 90 days whose paperwork was "accidentally" screwed up and they were told they'd have to wait until open enrollment in January.
I won't let it get me down, though. BossMan gave me the option of either resigning ("So you can use us as a reference") or making them terminate me. I told him I'd rather they terminate me. "You're making a big mistake, but OK."
What the hell kind of threat is that? I'm no dummy--I know if I resign, I'm not eligible for unemployment. I know they'll fight the unemployment, too. We'll just have to see how it turns out. Luckily, my state has joined the New Millenium and I was able to file my claim completely online, so I didn't have to spend the whole afternoon sitting in that miserable office.
Instead, I spent it online looking for work and for information about that elusive SBA Loan. I found out that my state's Economic Development division has a Capital Access Program. Basically, this means they give the bank part of the money I need so they aren't taking as much risk giving me the SBA Loan, which means they can approve a higher percentage of applications. When I applied last spring, I had 3 tradelines with negatives on them. Two have gone away completely, and the third just turned 3 years old, which puts it off their radar a little bit more. Unfortunately, none of the banks on the state's list were in my area. So I spent all afternoon trying to reach a person who knew anything about it. He's supposed to call me first thing tomorrow. Wish me luck.
Feel that? That's the roller coaster getting ready for another free fall.
They let me work most of the day before calling me into the office and interrogating me about why I was late. What can I say? I woke up late with no alarm. It happens sometimes. My Asst.Mgr. did it in the first month I was there and nobody blew up sideways over it. She's missed a total of 13 days in the first 6 months of the year and nobody fired her. I digress. BossMan said my lateness is an obvious sign that he can't count on me. We had "all these caterings" and I had two cakes to finish, and I was late. Actually, for your information BossMan, I was late coming in, but absolutely nothing I was responsible for was late. I busted my ass and got caught up without any help, thankyou. But who cares, I'm free of the warden.
Here's what I think really happened:
Me: "Is there paperwork I need to fill out for insurance? My 90 days will be next month."
Patty: "Did you need coverage for just yourself or for your family, too?"
Me: "I need coverage for my kids."
Patty: "Well we can't provide coverage for your family unless it's court ordered." [Note, this is the first time this detail was mentioned. When I accepted the job, I was told I could get insurance, period.]
Me: "It is in my divorce that I'm the insurance provider for my kids."
Patty: "oh. Well, we'll need copies of that paperwork."
The next day I gave her a copy of the letter I'd just received from the state asking for proof of insurance due to my court ordered coverage. She told me that wasn't good enough, they needed my actual divorce papers. I copied the page that specifically spells it out, along with the front page that lists the case#, etc., and explained that since the other pages contained personal information unrelated to my job such as my children's soc. sec. #'s, they didn't need any of the other pages. A few days later she gave me a packet to fill out for insurance with a note from headquarters saying "Have Sassy return this by 6/27" (she gave it to me an hour before we closed on 6/27); the paperwork was incomplete--asking me to chose between Plan A or Plan B, but providing no explanation of the difference between the two or the cost of either. Instead of wasting time returning it to Patty, I forwarded the complete paperworka week later directly to the HR office at headquarters, effectively going over her head. It was about 2 weeks later that they moved me and started harrassing me over every little thing other employees did that I hadn't been trained to do anything about.
I know personally of at least 3 other employees who were promised insurance at 90 days whose paperwork was "accidentally" screwed up and they were told they'd have to wait until open enrollment in January.
I won't let it get me down, though. BossMan gave me the option of either resigning ("So you can use us as a reference") or making them terminate me. I told him I'd rather they terminate me. "You're making a big mistake, but OK."
What the hell kind of threat is that? I'm no dummy--I know if I resign, I'm not eligible for unemployment. I know they'll fight the unemployment, too. We'll just have to see how it turns out. Luckily, my state has joined the New Millenium and I was able to file my claim completely online, so I didn't have to spend the whole afternoon sitting in that miserable office.
Instead, I spent it online looking for work and for information about that elusive SBA Loan. I found out that my state's Economic Development division has a Capital Access Program. Basically, this means they give the bank part of the money I need so they aren't taking as much risk giving me the SBA Loan, which means they can approve a higher percentage of applications. When I applied last spring, I had 3 tradelines with negatives on them. Two have gone away completely, and the third just turned 3 years old, which puts it off their radar a little bit more. Unfortunately, none of the banks on the state's list were in my area. So I spent all afternoon trying to reach a person who knew anything about it. He's supposed to call me first thing tomorrow. Wish me luck.
Feel that? That's the roller coaster getting ready for another free fall.
Comments:
Post a Comment