Sunday, October 19, 2008
Blah. This has been an excruciatingly long week. Nothing but denials and rejections, nothing encouraging in the least. I got a call to interview Down South at two different places, both of which sound like a waste of time: #1: a headhunter--who will charge ME when I find a job, and I'd have to pay anywhere between 3-10% of my annual salary within 90 days. Who can afford that?? I suppose I'll go anyway just to find out of they get employers who pay those fees. #2: A "marketing firm" whose web site is abysmally void of any useful information, purposefully vague and leads me to believe that once I arrive I'll learn they want me to buy a "sales kit" for hundreds of dollars and then release me on my own to hock random useless trinkets. I'll be cancelling that one now that I've figured that out.
I also interviewed with a retail competitor of my old job. I had applied for a full time stockroom position, but for the life of me, I can't remember when--probably months ago. I know the manager because she used to work for my old place, too, so it was a pleasant enough interview. She informed me that their store is preparing to open a sister store in the mall, very much like my old company, and pointedly asked if I had been interested in management at my old place. I talked about how screwed up the company had gotten during a management program experiment, and how frustrating it was to work like that, and how I don't envy the managers there, but yes, ultimately, if I were to stay in retail, I need to be moving up. I got a call from her while I was out on Friday saying to call her on Monday. In the meantime, I broke down and called my old job and asked if they're hiring. I have an appointment Monday morning to talk to the boss. I figure if I can go back, then I can change my resume to reflect "present" and completely erase Hell's Favorite Job from it altogether, leaving no 5 month space to explain. I'm not at all thrilled with the prospect of going back, but I need money and this is the fastest way to do it. I'm hoping I can convince Store #2 to call me when they're ready to open the new store. Perhaps that can keep me here in the area and paid well enough to get back on my feet and get my OWN fucking store opened!!!
I also interviewed with a retail competitor of my old job. I had applied for a full time stockroom position, but for the life of me, I can't remember when--probably months ago. I know the manager because she used to work for my old place, too, so it was a pleasant enough interview. She informed me that their store is preparing to open a sister store in the mall, very much like my old company, and pointedly asked if I had been interested in management at my old place. I talked about how screwed up the company had gotten during a management program experiment, and how frustrating it was to work like that, and how I don't envy the managers there, but yes, ultimately, if I were to stay in retail, I need to be moving up. I got a call from her while I was out on Friday saying to call her on Monday. In the meantime, I broke down and called my old job and asked if they're hiring. I have an appointment Monday morning to talk to the boss. I figure if I can go back, then I can change my resume to reflect "present" and completely erase Hell's Favorite Job from it altogether, leaving no 5 month space to explain. I'm not at all thrilled with the prospect of going back, but I need money and this is the fastest way to do it. I'm hoping I can convince Store #2 to call me when they're ready to open the new store. Perhaps that can keep me here in the area and paid well enough to get back on my feet and get my OWN fucking store opened!!!
Comments:
Post a Comment