<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Tuesday, October 28, 2008

A contrast for your consideration:

Phone call #1:
An upbeat, young-sounding female voice introduces herself and identifies the office locality she is calling from and the candidate she is calling for. She asks if I have decided which candidate I would be voting for. I indicate that I am a supporter of her candidate. She thanks me for my support, and asks if I'm available for any volunteer activities with the campaign. I explained I was too busy to do so. She said she understood, and asked if I was certain of my polling location or if I had considered voting early. I said I had all the information I needed. She thanked me again and said "Have a good evening."

Phone call #2:
A mono-tone, ambiguous-aged male voice says, "Hello, I am calling from Candidate B's campaign, and I want to inform you [noticeable pause]
that Candidate A wants to increase your taxes and [noticeable pause]
take your hard-earned money. " He continued to ramble on about how dangerous it is for our economy to support such misguided policies and how we have to support Candidate B. There continued be be incongruent pauses (corresponding to what I assume are the ends of the lines of the written script), or lack of pauses between sentences, no appropriate emphasis on any words in particular, or even a glimmer of understanding of the words he was saying. When he finished, he simply stopped.

Now if you were still undecided about which candidate you supported, would either of these calls change your mind?

I have to assume this was a "robo-call", since he made no attempt to engage me. But people, if you're going to record an advertisment for something you are supposed to believe in, why would you broadcast such a lame, half-assed attempt?? Frankly, if I were on the fence, this call would push me toward the other candidate in a heartbeat.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?