<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Saturday, October 11, 2008

Well Chuckee called. I had a phone interview and then a 2nd interview yesterday. They seemed incredibly positive and pretty much said they want to hire me.

[Just so we're clear: knowing that Chuck wants to hire me is like finding out the Treasurer of the AV Club wants to take you to the prom.]

I have to mail in some paperwork and let them do a background check and pass a drug screen, then I'd start a 5 week training course about an hour and a half north of here. They'd put me up in a hotel, but that would mean going 5 weeks without seeing my kids. Even if I can get past all of that, they told me they just hired a second opening assistant, so that means pretty much all the hours they have are closing hours. Sure, they close at 9pm during the week, so it's not that late, but working those hours means I get to see my kids off to school and that's it. No dinners together, no leisure time at all. At best I might see them twice a week. This is unacceptable. Not only is it unacceptable for me to miss out on that time, but it's unacceptable to assume Rusty can do it in my place.

So do I just keep going forward with the process and then try to twist their arms over the opening schedule? Do I actually turn down a job offer paying me more than I was getting at my old HELL job, with better benefits? What the hell??!?!

I also interviewed in the Big City south of us. I admit it's looking more and more attractive to move back. It'd be nice to have the kids' dad within driving distance to let him do more babysitting, but I'm sure that would sour quickly, as he discovered he could have more weekend time to himself and started ramping up his drinking again. I could be wrong... Anyway, the interview was with a restaurant supply company, doing retail sales. A perfect blend of what I've been doing in the past 4 years. The interviewer said she was looking for someone to wow them, and the whole process would take a long time as there were several rounds of interviews to go through. I have a feeling I asked for too much money and I didn't wow her. But I want that job more than I want to work for the Rat. And just when I want to drift off into a fantasy about how fantastic that would be (no late hours, holidays and weekends, no slaving over a fryer and flipping burgers, being back in a real city with actual Things To Do), I am slapped back to reality: moving would be a BITCH, and an even bigger burden on Rusty, who would then have to do that same commute to see his DD, only SeaHag isn't nearly as accomodating as Shitfoot is. And this is the story of my life: no matter what I dare to dream, there is no solution that can possibly result in a happy family.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?