<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Friday, November 07, 2008

I live in a deceptively small town. Deceptively, because with the big box retailers and community college, it seems like it's more "medium sized". But it's not.

I recently started seeing a new chiropractor. He just opened his practice 3 months ago. I chose him because he was listed on my insurance provider directory and I recognized his address as a professional building where my OB/GYN is located. I was surprised by how young he is, but that doesn't bother me, as long as he knows what he's doing. So I filled out my paperwork and during my initial consultation, he said, "Oh, you work at xx? I used to work there! Do you know (our general manager)?" and had a lengthy conversation about the people we know in common. I went to work the next day and said, "Hey Boss, I have a new chiropractor--do you remember Dr. Adjuster?" "WHAT? Are you KIDDING! NO WAY!" It's funny, because the management (naturally the only employees that have been here more than a year or two) all knew him when he was right out of high school. They can't begin to imagine him as a professional, much less a MEDICAL professional.

Today at work, one of my co-workers was asked how to spell her new last name. It's a very unusual name and looks, when printed, like a typo. "I'm glad to have an unusual name," she said, "people don't ask me anymore if I'm related to S0-and-So." Turns out she knows by proxy at least three other families who share her maiden name, their children's names and where they live.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?