Monday, February 02, 2009
Today is the hearing for my unemployment appeal, and I'm nervous as hell. Luckily, it's a phone interview, so at least I don't have to get dressed. I feel completely unprepared, of course, even though there's nothing much to prepare. I'd feel a little more centered if I had any clue about their state of mind--one of the reasons I wanted someone to call my former boss pretending to be a potential employer. A couple different friends volunteered to do it but then completely flaked. (Gee, and you wonder why I have trust issues) So I have no idea what they're saying about me.
And just to make sure my whole day was fucked, first my kids' school was on a two-hour delay. Why? Because it snowed last week, aparently. The roads are clear; it's cold, but not that cold. I'm with the Obama kids on this one: when I was a kid, not only would I have gone to school all of last week, but we'd be having recess outside, too. Bah, I swear it's just to keep the kids up my ass for as long as possible every day.
Then, turn the screw just a little harder: the phone rang at 8am, and it was the judge! My hearing was scheduled at 11:30. I was still laying in bed (because I was up til about 3 am worrying about it) when Rusty handed me the phone. He asked me to hold while he got my employer on the line. I prayed to God they'd be in late and not be available. They reached the human resources person, who curtly told the judge she wouldn't be available until 11:30, when the hearing was scheduled. "Oh, sorry!" the judge was falling all over himself because his docket had gotten filed out of order. Dammit, if she'd only been off somewhere stuffing her face with donuts and coffee, I might have gotten away with the hearing without them.
On a slightly positive note, it was just a human resources person based in Ohio, someone I've never met and has no personal experience with me or the kitchens where I was working, so it won't be as difficult to listen to as it would be if it were Patty or Jay being a big blowhard asshole. All this chick can do is read the file, which was completely fabricated.
And just to make sure my whole day was fucked, first my kids' school was on a two-hour delay. Why? Because it snowed last week, aparently. The roads are clear; it's cold, but not that cold. I'm with the Obama kids on this one: when I was a kid, not only would I have gone to school all of last week, but we'd be having recess outside, too. Bah, I swear it's just to keep the kids up my ass for as long as possible every day.
Then, turn the screw just a little harder: the phone rang at 8am, and it was the judge! My hearing was scheduled at 11:30. I was still laying in bed (because I was up til about 3 am worrying about it) when Rusty handed me the phone. He asked me to hold while he got my employer on the line. I prayed to God they'd be in late and not be available. They reached the human resources person, who curtly told the judge she wouldn't be available until 11:30, when the hearing was scheduled. "Oh, sorry!" the judge was falling all over himself because his docket had gotten filed out of order. Dammit, if she'd only been off somewhere stuffing her face with donuts and coffee, I might have gotten away with the hearing without them.
On a slightly positive note, it was just a human resources person based in Ohio, someone I've never met and has no personal experience with me or the kitchens where I was working, so it won't be as difficult to listen to as it would be if it were Patty or Jay being a big blowhard asshole. All this chick can do is read the file, which was completely fabricated.
Comments:
Post a Comment