<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Thursday, March 19, 2009

I'm back!

I was very disappointed that we couldn't get online while we were away on the honeymoon--I had hoped to blog a couple of times while we were there.

First of all, the wedding went very nicely. Very simple, no pressure, no worries. We waited in the courtroom for the judge, when a couple of deputies brought in two prisoners and sat them just outside the judge's chambers, one in a white jumpsuit and the other in red. "Look, witnesses!" said my dad. "And they're wearing the wedding colors."

The ceremony itself was short and sweet. Afterward, while we were signing the papers, Nick tapped the judge on the arm. "Yes?" he asked. "I have a question." Nick said. "What do you want to know?" he asked. "Do you like your job?"

And so Nick made a new friend. He took him up to the judge's bench and let him sit and bang the gavel. He just beamed. He was a bit disappointed to learn that you have to be a lawyer first, before you become a judge.

Then we were off to Vegas. Let me first say that I like to gamble. I'm not an addict, don't get me wrong! I know when to quit, but I really have fun doing it. I was looking forward to it for a very long time, and had a very specific amount of cash set aside for that very purpose. Just a few days before we left, Rusty announced that he had spent all his money and had nothing left to gamble with. I was LIVID. I could just see it--Shitfoot all over again: another trip to Vegas ruined by a moody bitch of a partner who refused to gamble and pouted the whole time that I did. I'm sorry, but if you ever plan to go to Vegas with me, plan to gamble or don't go. Why the hell else would you go?? The only reason we were going to Vegas was he had assured me that he wanted to give it a try and was excited to go, and then suddenly he didn't? Arrrrgh!

But it turned out to be quite a nice trip anyway. Oh sure, there were frustrations--for example, the wait at the airport would have been more pleasant had it not been Sunday and the bars not closed. Boo! We stayed at the New York, New York, which was nice. I admit I wish the room were a little bigger, and naturally they didn't have a King bed suite available, but well, we're newlyweds, perhaps sleeping close together isn't such a bad thing!

Since I was on a tight budget, I (we) decided we shouldn't gamble at the NYNY because their lowest limit table games were all $10. They had $5 tables at the Excalibur next door, so the first night, after we went out for dinner, we headed there. Turns out they had only TWO $5 blackjack tables open, so naturally there were no seats open. We scoped the craps tables and they were full, too. We stood there for a few minutes trying to decide what to do when a spot opened at the craps table. I jumped in, and Rusty stood behind me watching, soaking it all up. It's true--craps can be very confusing and intimidating for a first timer. I bought in for $100, waked away with $246. Hooray! My win encouraged Rusty to give it a try when we returned the next day. After just a few minutes at the table, a lady to our right had her turn as the shooter. She very deliberately, very cautiously picked up each die one at a time, turned it so that the six was facing up, lined it up so the spots went straight across, then picked the two up by only touching them with two fingers at a time, tapped them 3 times on the table, then threw them. It was excruciating to watch. "When it's my turn to shoot, I won't do it that way," I explained to Rusty. "You know why?" "'Cause it's a pain in the ass?" "No," I said, "I won't do it that way because that's not how I roll." The joke was on me, however, when an hour and half later, she was STILL shooting, and my $100 was now over $500 and Rusty's $40 had grown to around $430. We stayed in for a few more rolls after she quit, but it became clear the tides of luck had waned and it was time to step out.

Our third excursion wasn't so lucky, Rusty lost his $100 and I lost $60 before walking away. It took quite a bit convince Rusty to try again the next day, and he refused to buy in for more than $50. I came out ahead again, though winning another $160. And as it turns out, I made more money at the craps table in 3 days than I did at my job last month. Sad, but true.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?