Monday, May 11, 2009
And now, another episode of "As the Toilet Brush Swirls"...
I had another job "interview" today. Since the standard, "Respond to ad in paper/online job site/corporate career listing" hasn't worked out so well, I tried the "We Shall Overcome" method and got creative. I saw an article in our local paper about how a locally owned old-fashioned soda shop was undergoing renovations and was planning a reopening this summer. I googled them and found their website, and on that, I found a contact email. I emailed them my resume, explaining my culinary background and how I'd love a job making their ice cream and candies, but also, since I was currently working as a retail sales associate, even a counter job would be a nice addition to my resume. No response. A week later, they ran an ad saying they were hiring for all positions. I resubmitted, referencing my previous email. Again, nothing. About 3 weeks later, this past Friday, I got an email asking me to attend one of two "employment seminars". I stressed and fretted about how to approach the opportunity--were they looking for management? Could I possibly find work making "fun food" again?? Should I wear my chef's whites? A suit? "Office casual"?
I was still quite moody after my Uber Crappy Mother's Day experience, so that added even more stress. How do you act upbeat and positive when all you can think is there is no hope for anything to improve your crappy lot in life and you'll be stuck wiping up other people's messes for the rest of your life? I arrived about 20 minutes early and sat in my car for about 15 minutes. I watched intently as people wandered around and couldn't identify any of the other potential applicants. Sure enough, as I found my way around the ongoing construction and entered the dining room, there was a roomfull of demin-clad, flip-flop wearing teens and sunflower-embroidered grandmothers. We got a 5 minute lecture about the history of the business and got flyers describing the positions of soda jerks and servers. Then two of the people in charge each took an applicant aside to do a brief interview. "Does anyone need to leave early?" they asked. Naturally, all the teenagers had better places to be. So naturally, I had to sit in the iron-wrought iron chair for an hour waiting my turn so Amber and Brooke could get to their tanning appointments. I really need to learn how to be a better liar. I waited my turn and finally spoke to the owner. I outlined my culinary experience, and my goals of owing my own bakery, and explained that I had some time before I had enough saved to start my own business and in the meantime I really needed the experience in a small-businesss environment. "So, would you rather be a soda jerk or a server?"
~sigh~
Ultimately, I'd love to learn the soda jerk tricks of the trade, but I would prefer food prep. She said she'd forward my resume to the cook they'd hired to head the kitchen. I'm pretty sure that means that if I'm lucky, I can flip burgers for $8/hr.
Now seriously, is it any wonder why I'm making a mental list (painfully brief) of reasons NOT to kill myself? Really?? I mean, what's the point of having an IQ above 80 and 2 college degrees if this is what you're meant to do? And layer that with a family who can't understand why I'm not filled with joy at the notion of picking up their dirty kleenexes, and just want to fucking run away and stop being me.
I had another job "interview" today. Since the standard, "Respond to ad in paper/online job site/corporate career listing" hasn't worked out so well, I tried the "We Shall Overcome" method and got creative. I saw an article in our local paper about how a locally owned old-fashioned soda shop was undergoing renovations and was planning a reopening this summer. I googled them and found their website, and on that, I found a contact email. I emailed them my resume, explaining my culinary background and how I'd love a job making their ice cream and candies, but also, since I was currently working as a retail sales associate, even a counter job would be a nice addition to my resume. No response. A week later, they ran an ad saying they were hiring for all positions. I resubmitted, referencing my previous email. Again, nothing. About 3 weeks later, this past Friday, I got an email asking me to attend one of two "employment seminars". I stressed and fretted about how to approach the opportunity--were they looking for management? Could I possibly find work making "fun food" again?? Should I wear my chef's whites? A suit? "Office casual"?
I was still quite moody after my Uber Crappy Mother's Day experience, so that added even more stress. How do you act upbeat and positive when all you can think is there is no hope for anything to improve your crappy lot in life and you'll be stuck wiping up other people's messes for the rest of your life? I arrived about 20 minutes early and sat in my car for about 15 minutes. I watched intently as people wandered around and couldn't identify any of the other potential applicants. Sure enough, as I found my way around the ongoing construction and entered the dining room, there was a roomfull of demin-clad, flip-flop wearing teens and sunflower-embroidered grandmothers. We got a 5 minute lecture about the history of the business and got flyers describing the positions of soda jerks and servers. Then two of the people in charge each took an applicant aside to do a brief interview. "Does anyone need to leave early?" they asked. Naturally, all the teenagers had better places to be. So naturally, I had to sit in the iron-wrought iron chair for an hour waiting my turn so Amber and Brooke could get to their tanning appointments. I really need to learn how to be a better liar. I waited my turn and finally spoke to the owner. I outlined my culinary experience, and my goals of owing my own bakery, and explained that I had some time before I had enough saved to start my own business and in the meantime I really needed the experience in a small-businesss environment. "So, would you rather be a soda jerk or a server?"
~sigh~
Ultimately, I'd love to learn the soda jerk tricks of the trade, but I would prefer food prep. She said she'd forward my resume to the cook they'd hired to head the kitchen. I'm pretty sure that means that if I'm lucky, I can flip burgers for $8/hr.
Now seriously, is it any wonder why I'm making a mental list (painfully brief) of reasons NOT to kill myself? Really?? I mean, what's the point of having an IQ above 80 and 2 college degrees if this is what you're meant to do? And layer that with a family who can't understand why I'm not filled with joy at the notion of picking up their dirty kleenexes, and just want to fucking run away and stop being me.
Comments:
Post a Comment