Thursday, June 11, 2009
OK, being the cynic that I am, I realize that I've just jinxed myself by making such a definitive declarative sentence so early in the game, but I'm just so stoked. Even Rusty told me he could see a difference in my attitude.
I've just begun taking all the online courses I have to complete before I'm allowed to work a teller drawer by myself--and I've got about 20 pages of handwritten notes for the courses I've already taken! The total amount of information needed to do the job is ENORMOUS, and it can be intimidating to think of how much I *don't* know. But I'm picking it all up quickly because it's all SUPER-logical in an OCD kind of way, documenting every time you turn your head. Right now our Assistant Manager is actually being borrowed from another branch while they look for someone to fill the vacancy, and both she and my manager told me separately that they could tell I wouldn't have any problems, that I'm already ahead of "schedule" in terms of learning new tasks.
Today my manager asked me if I knew much about Microsoft Word, and when he learned I "gots skillz", he gave me a basic idea for a marketing flyer and asked me to whip something up. He only made a couple little edits on my first draft and he was thrilled with the result. He informed me I'd be getting more of those assignments and he was really glad to have someone who could handle it.
Overall, I really like the job because it's a great blend of tasks--I like the customer service aspect--Oh, I'm sure there will be days when I want to shoot people, but there are enough really friendly customers that it balances out nicely. The atmosphere is nothing like at Banana--people don't treat me like I'm an uneducated flunkie, and they don't expect me to clean up after them. Plus, I get to actually SIT DOWN once in a while, so the days of excruciating foot and back pain just may be behind me. And then, instead of mind-numbingly boring work like folding clothes and walking all over God's Green Earth putting stuff away, I get to feed my Inner Accountant and do all the OCD paperwork and computer tasks. When I was a kid I hated working at my dad's accounting office because it was hours and hours of sitting at a desk, but this has me up and about every now and then, but doesn't keep me on my feet the whole day, either. Hooray!!
Also awesome: I will get health/dental/vision insurance the month after 30 days! And since Adam just added me to his when we got married, that means I'm double-covered for the rest of the year (when he can take me back off and cut down his costs). The vision insurance is so awesome, I'll be able to get new contacts for free!!
~sigh~, I've been saying all this time that all my bitching and moaning was justified--it really was my circumstances that were making me so miserable. It just feels so GOOD to have something to speak positively about for a change!!