Friday, August 07, 2009
Ugh, am I exhausted. It was a hard day at work--I was the last of 4 people to arrive (per the schedule), and there are only 3 desks, which means I spent 5.5 hours standing at the teller line without sitting. I hadn't done that for quite a while and now my legs and back are killing me.
At one point, we got an email from the branch across town, saying that a customer of ours had come in and complained that he got his debit card and they'd misspelled his name. Turns out the whole account had been done with his last name misspelled. And not a hard-to-find misspelling. Something like, his name was "Joe" and it was spelled "Moe"--only it was his last name. Embarassing, but typos happen, especially when we're busy and feeling pressured. The Boss sent an email to all of us (at our branch) admonishing us for the mistake and reminding us to be careful and have someone double-check our work before the customer leave. I was curious, though. Of course everyone assumed it was S that did it. I felt a pang of pity for her, and a twinge of horror that it may have been me that had done it, even though the name didn't seem familiar. I dug up the paperwork and LO and BEHOLD... The Boss did it. Wow. He ate the Crow like a man, apologized for admonishing us, and took his lumps. B told him perhaps he should have me check his work before his customers leave from now on.
[THE ONE RING TO RULE THEM ALL!!!]
This also coincided with my very first closing as a "manager". No, I haven't gotten a promotion. But there are two sets of keys necessary to open and close, and the manager gets a special set of keys and is responsible for certain duties. The Boss left early today, and I had the Special Keys, and all the special closing duties were left to me. All went swimmingly. Well, all SEEMED to go swimmingly, anyway. We'll see tomorrow when I go in if anything horrific went wrong.
Barring any bouts of stupidity, can I just say that I am still alarmed at how well I am handling this job? No, really. It seems, on the surface to be so dry and nerdy. It doesn't really feed my creative side. But for some reason I'm really good at it. And that is such an incredible blessing. Seriously. Now if only they paid me better, I'd be orgasmic about this job. OMG, have I drunk the Kool Aid?? I don't care--it's so nice to have a job where my skills and work are appreciated; it's such a contrast to what I was doing before. I almost wish I'd gotten into it sooner. Though I guess I probably wouldn't have appreciated it as much if I'd been doing this at 26 without the years of being treated like an unworthy dung beetle.
At one point, we got an email from the branch across town, saying that a customer of ours had come in and complained that he got his debit card and they'd misspelled his name. Turns out the whole account had been done with his last name misspelled. And not a hard-to-find misspelling. Something like, his name was "Joe" and it was spelled "Moe"--only it was his last name. Embarassing, but typos happen, especially when we're busy and feeling pressured. The Boss sent an email to all of us (at our branch) admonishing us for the mistake and reminding us to be careful and have someone double-check our work before the customer leave. I was curious, though. Of course everyone assumed it was S that did it. I felt a pang of pity for her, and a twinge of horror that it may have been me that had done it, even though the name didn't seem familiar. I dug up the paperwork and LO and BEHOLD... The Boss did it. Wow. He ate the Crow like a man, apologized for admonishing us, and took his lumps. B told him perhaps he should have me check his work before his customers leave from now on.
[THE ONE RING TO RULE THEM ALL!!!]
This also coincided with my very first closing as a "manager". No, I haven't gotten a promotion. But there are two sets of keys necessary to open and close, and the manager gets a special set of keys and is responsible for certain duties. The Boss left early today, and I had the Special Keys, and all the special closing duties were left to me. All went swimmingly. Well, all SEEMED to go swimmingly, anyway. We'll see tomorrow when I go in if anything horrific went wrong.
Barring any bouts of stupidity, can I just say that I am still alarmed at how well I am handling this job? No, really. It seems, on the surface to be so dry and nerdy. It doesn't really feed my creative side. But for some reason I'm really good at it. And that is such an incredible blessing. Seriously. Now if only they paid me better, I'd be orgasmic about this job. OMG, have I drunk the Kool Aid?? I don't care--it's so nice to have a job where my skills and work are appreciated; it's such a contrast to what I was doing before. I almost wish I'd gotten into it sooner. Though I guess I probably wouldn't have appreciated it as much if I'd been doing this at 26 without the years of being treated like an unworthy dung beetle.
Comments:
Post a Comment