Wednesday, August 12, 2009
Ugh, yet another day. Aparently having B start the collections calls has stirred a hornet's nest. Now we get several hangups a day (people calling back the numbers they wouldn't answer because they didn't recognize them), or people calling in disbelief demanding we explain why they're overdrawn. "Could it be because you spent more money than you had?"
One guy came in today and chewed me up one side and down the other saying we were so unreasonable, stealing from him, etc. He was $900 overdrawn, and only $240 of that were bank fees. One does not "accidentally" become $900 overdrawn. He fed me one lie after another, and I just kept showing him the printout of his account, explaining that 10 - 12 does not, in fact equal a positive number. "That guy who sits right there told me this check wouldn't be sent through again!" "I doubt that, since we have no control over how often a check is presented by the person you wrote it to." "But I have emails you sent saying that those transactions had been paid and there was no problem!" "Do you? Please print them out and bring them to us, we'd love to see that." Sarcastic much? Luckily, he was too wound up to notice. Eventually, what it came down to was he wanted fees refunded. I told him the only person with the power to do that was the manager. When The Boss came out, oh no, this isn't the guy who had lied to him before, where's that guy? Boss just smirked and said, "There are no other men who work here. And I am the manager." Suddenly Rabid Man was singing a different tune.
Not 5 minutes later, a woman stopped in and chewed S out for HER bounced checks, then demanded an audience with The Boss. He had already refunded three overdraft fees for her in the past 3 weeks and she wasn't getting anywhere with him. Naturally, she brought out the big guns: first it was the swear words, then she proclaimed that she was going to WRITE THE PAPER! "Go ahead, tell the whole town you're bouncing checks." He immediately went to the back room to cool off. Clearly the two-in-a-row bitchfests really got to him. I told him I understood how it's hard not to let it raise your blood pressure. I asked him if he ever watched the old classic Speed Racer cartoons. In that cartoon, when a character got really pissed off or really excited, they'd hop from foot to foot with their arms awkwardly in the air while they shouted, jumping side to side in a weird little fit. "Next time someone starts getting all riled up, picture them as a little anime character jumping around like that, where their mouths are drawn almost bigger than their heads and they hop around like this..." [lurch, lurch, lurch] "Crash up? What do you mean I'm going to crash up? I've driven this car for 14 years and never had a crash! It's most insulting of you to assume that I would crash up!!" He laughed and pondered the possibility...
One guy came in today and chewed me up one side and down the other saying we were so unreasonable, stealing from him, etc. He was $900 overdrawn, and only $240 of that were bank fees. One does not "accidentally" become $900 overdrawn. He fed me one lie after another, and I just kept showing him the printout of his account, explaining that 10 - 12 does not, in fact equal a positive number. "That guy who sits right there told me this check wouldn't be sent through again!" "I doubt that, since we have no control over how often a check is presented by the person you wrote it to." "But I have emails you sent saying that those transactions had been paid and there was no problem!" "Do you? Please print them out and bring them to us, we'd love to see that." Sarcastic much? Luckily, he was too wound up to notice. Eventually, what it came down to was he wanted fees refunded. I told him the only person with the power to do that was the manager. When The Boss came out, oh no, this isn't the guy who had lied to him before, where's that guy? Boss just smirked and said, "There are no other men who work here. And I am the manager." Suddenly Rabid Man was singing a different tune.
Not 5 minutes later, a woman stopped in and chewed S out for HER bounced checks, then demanded an audience with The Boss. He had already refunded three overdraft fees for her in the past 3 weeks and she wasn't getting anywhere with him. Naturally, she brought out the big guns: first it was the swear words, then she proclaimed that she was going to WRITE THE PAPER! "Go ahead, tell the whole town you're bouncing checks." He immediately went to the back room to cool off. Clearly the two-in-a-row bitchfests really got to him. I told him I understood how it's hard not to let it raise your blood pressure. I asked him if he ever watched the old classic Speed Racer cartoons. In that cartoon, when a character got really pissed off or really excited, they'd hop from foot to foot with their arms awkwardly in the air while they shouted, jumping side to side in a weird little fit. "Next time someone starts getting all riled up, picture them as a little anime character jumping around like that, where their mouths are drawn almost bigger than their heads and they hop around like this..." [lurch, lurch, lurch] "Crash up? What do you mean I'm going to crash up? I've driven this car for 14 years and never had a crash! It's most insulting of you to assume that I would crash up!!" He laughed and pondered the possibility...
Comments:
Post a Comment