Thursday, August 06, 2009
Yes, it was that kind of day yesterday. It was Branch Manager Meeting day, so naturally all the weirdos come out of the woodwork as if they KNOW the Boss isn't in. On the plus side, S acted like a normal person and didn't screw anything up. I had to open on my own for the first time, and all went well. Hoorah. Tomorrow I have to close on my own--this is a bigger deal because the closing process is a lot more complicated. I'm a little nervous, but I'm sure it'll be fine.
Why is it, though, that all the weirdos come out at once?
First we got a call from another branch asking if it was alright to cash a check from one of our customers without a signature on it. Well DUH, NO. WTF? Later, they sent us a scan of the check, and it was the weirdest thing--looked like a regular check, with the routing number and account number, the account holder's name and address, etc. Check #1002. Some longer numeric code in front of the routing number. And in the place where the check should have a signature was printed in big letters "This check has been guaranteed by your depositor. It does not require a signature." Nice try, but no. The account holders came in later and explained that their landlord had taken their account info to electronically debit their account for the rent. But the check that was being presented to cash was made out to an individual whose last name matched the rental company's name, not the rental company. Errr, and she thought this would work? I don't care who signed what with your lease, that's still fraud. Idiots.
I swear I must've been yelled at by a dozen different people for their overdrawn accounts. I swear I'm going to make a sign to post on the wall that says: "WHEN YOU SPEND MORE MONEY THAN YOU HAVE, IT'S NOT OUR FAULT."
This stupid dizzy bitch came in--and this is the second time she's bitched at me, and I know she's bitched to at least one other of my co-workers, too--steaming mad because she's overdrawn again. She slaps down an ATM receipt that shows a negative balance. "What does this mean!!!" "Your balance is negative $43.xx" "That's impossible!!"
Let me just say it: it's possible. And one of these days, someone is going to say that to me, and I'm going to just say it, too. "It's possible; in fact, if it turns out to be a bank error, I'll personally pull $20 out of my own wallet and put it in your account." It's never a bank error. It's always a CUSTOMER ERROR. Seriously--everyone's overdrawn their account once, twice, maybe way more than that. But when you did it, did you drive down to the bank and scream at tellers about it? Have you any idea how common this is?? Where the hell did these people grow up that they think this is the best way to handle the problem??
I digress, Mrs. That's Impossible demanded to know how her balance was negative $43 when just yesterday she deposited $100 to cover her insurance. I brought up her account, printed out the list of transactions and stood there explaining it to her. She had absolutely no shame in the fact that she was holding up the line of customers behind her, who are now privvy to her personal financial problems. Apparently, about 10 days ago Mrs. Impossible's auto-pay for her insurance was rejected due to insufficient funds (a quarter for anyone who's surprised). She came in two days later to deposit $100 to cover the bill. The bill is $80. The NSF charge is $34. Two more days later she deposited another $20. Can we note here that she did NOT, in fact, deposit $100 yesterday, nor did she deposit ANYTHING YESTERDAY. "But I deposited that $100 to cover the insurance bill!"
"Yes ma'am, but see here? There were other transactions on your account, and that left less than an $80 balance, so when your insurance company re-debited your account, it's left you in the negative again."
"But I deposited that $100 to cover the insurance bill!"
I roll my Inner Eyes, take a breath and repeat myself. Seriously, if she isn't even going to rephrase her protest, why should I rephrase my rebuttle? This does not sit well with Mrs. Impossible. "See this $100?!", she demands, as if I simply am not understanding her, "It was for my insurance!"
"Ma'am, we have no control over who debits your account or when. We cannot set aside funds specifically for any single transaction. On the 3rd, you had $xx.xx. Then on the 4th, you had a $xx.xx transaction at Tab Liquors, and a $xx.xx transaction at Dive Bar. On the 5th, the insurance payment came through, but there was already less than $80 left. We paid the insurance bill for you, though, but there's an overdraft fee, so when you deduct the $80 and the $34 fee, your current balance is $-43.xx"
"This is BULLSHIT!"
"I'm sorry for your troubles. Please be aware that if your account remains in the negative for seven days, it will trigger a Continuous Overdraft Fee of $5 per day." [Was that mean? I mean, was it mean enough? Because at this point I know there's no hope of "satisfying" her, and I'm sick of taking lip from her just because her husband's a drunk who keeps overdrafting her account.] She stomped off in a huff. My next customer was much nicer to me.
Why is it, though, that all the weirdos come out at once?
First we got a call from another branch asking if it was alright to cash a check from one of our customers without a signature on it. Well DUH, NO. WTF? Later, they sent us a scan of the check, and it was the weirdest thing--looked like a regular check, with the routing number and account number, the account holder's name and address, etc. Check #1002. Some longer numeric code in front of the routing number. And in the place where the check should have a signature was printed in big letters "This check has been guaranteed by your depositor. It does not require a signature." Nice try, but no. The account holders came in later and explained that their landlord had taken their account info to electronically debit their account for the rent. But the check that was being presented to cash was made out to an individual whose last name matched the rental company's name, not the rental company. Errr, and she thought this would work? I don't care who signed what with your lease, that's still fraud. Idiots.
I swear I must've been yelled at by a dozen different people for their overdrawn accounts. I swear I'm going to make a sign to post on the wall that says: "WHEN YOU SPEND MORE MONEY THAN YOU HAVE, IT'S NOT OUR FAULT."
This stupid dizzy bitch came in--and this is the second time she's bitched at me, and I know she's bitched to at least one other of my co-workers, too--steaming mad because she's overdrawn again. She slaps down an ATM receipt that shows a negative balance. "What does this mean!!!" "Your balance is negative $43.xx" "That's impossible!!"
Let me just say it: it's possible. And one of these days, someone is going to say that to me, and I'm going to just say it, too. "It's possible; in fact, if it turns out to be a bank error, I'll personally pull $20 out of my own wallet and put it in your account." It's never a bank error. It's always a CUSTOMER ERROR. Seriously--everyone's overdrawn their account once, twice, maybe way more than that. But when you did it, did you drive down to the bank and scream at tellers about it? Have you any idea how common this is?? Where the hell did these people grow up that they think this is the best way to handle the problem??
I digress, Mrs. That's Impossible demanded to know how her balance was negative $43 when just yesterday she deposited $100 to cover her insurance. I brought up her account, printed out the list of transactions and stood there explaining it to her. She had absolutely no shame in the fact that she was holding up the line of customers behind her, who are now privvy to her personal financial problems. Apparently, about 10 days ago Mrs. Impossible's auto-pay for her insurance was rejected due to insufficient funds (a quarter for anyone who's surprised). She came in two days later to deposit $100 to cover the bill. The bill is $80. The NSF charge is $34. Two more days later she deposited another $20. Can we note here that she did NOT, in fact, deposit $100 yesterday, nor did she deposit ANYTHING YESTERDAY. "But I deposited that $100 to cover the insurance bill!"
"Yes ma'am, but see here? There were other transactions on your account, and that left less than an $80 balance, so when your insurance company re-debited your account, it's left you in the negative again."
"But I deposited that $100 to cover the insurance bill!"
I roll my Inner Eyes, take a breath and repeat myself. Seriously, if she isn't even going to rephrase her protest, why should I rephrase my rebuttle? This does not sit well with Mrs. Impossible. "See this $100?!", she demands, as if I simply am not understanding her, "It was for my insurance!"
"Ma'am, we have no control over who debits your account or when. We cannot set aside funds specifically for any single transaction. On the 3rd, you had $xx.xx. Then on the 4th, you had a $xx.xx transaction at Tab Liquors, and a $xx.xx transaction at Dive Bar. On the 5th, the insurance payment came through, but there was already less than $80 left. We paid the insurance bill for you, though, but there's an overdraft fee, so when you deduct the $80 and the $34 fee, your current balance is $-43.xx"
"This is BULLSHIT!"
"I'm sorry for your troubles. Please be aware that if your account remains in the negative for seven days, it will trigger a Continuous Overdraft Fee of $5 per day." [Was that mean? I mean, was it mean enough? Because at this point I know there's no hope of "satisfying" her, and I'm sick of taking lip from her just because her husband's a drunk who keeps overdrafting her account.] She stomped off in a huff. My next customer was much nicer to me.
Comments:
Post a Comment