Saturday, September 19, 2009
If only the past week could be summarized into one brief little blog entry. Alas, 'tis impossible.
I had written elsewhere, but not here, that DD has grown quite a bit in the past 6 months. In May, she was 5' .5" and 101 lbs. Then last week when she hurt her foot, they weighed her in at 91 lbs. The irony was just the day before I said to Rusty, "Man, she's looking downright boney! I'm gonna have to weigh her to see what's up." We'd been arguing with her dad for some time now because he's been giving her hell about the amount of food she eats. It was like he wanted to see if he could give her an eating disorder, and we were SUPER pissed. She kept telling me every weekend about what a jerk he'd been, and when I noticed she was thinner, I thought maybe she'd been refusing to eat at his house or something.
A couple days went by, she complained about random stomach aches, feeling like she could throw up. But you never know with kids what they really mean, if they're being completely truthful, etc. and I flat-out told her that until she actually threw up (she had no fever), there's nothing I could do for her. She'd turn around and eat a full dinner and snack afterward, so I figured she couldn't be that sick. Then on Monday, she leaned in to kiss me and I noticed her breath smelled really sharp, like sweet rubbing alcohol. A light went off in my head, I remembered that there was a distinctive smell like that associated with ketosis. I googled, I researched, and I called the doctor the minute they opened the next day. It seemed to take forever to reach a person and not an answering machine, but finally they set us up to get some labs done at the hospital asap, and an appointment with the doc at 4pm. It was 9am when we had her blood drawn, then I took her back to school, and went in to work. I wasn't there 10 minutes before they were calling me saying, "Get her out of school, bring her here right NOW." These are not words you want to hear from your pediatrician. I had to shut half my brain down just to keep from panicking. We get to the doctor, and she wants to make small talk. DON'T FUCK WITH ME, BITCH! I DON'T CARE ABOUT YOUR FUCKING CRAFT PROJECTS! So yes, her blood sugar is high, we've got diabetes, go over to the pediatric ward at the hospital, and they'll get her started on an IV.
Now anyone who's been through this knows immediately that this is not going to be " a few hours in the hospital". But me, I had no idea. And I had no idea what to tell my now VERY confused 11 yr old. It has been a flurry of information and instruction followed by hours and hours of staring out the window. 4 days later, I finally got to bring her home.
She was a trooper the whole time, I can't begin to say how proud I am of how well she's handled it. And I've kept it together for so long, I know I'm going to fall apart eventually. I just haven't found the right time.
I had written elsewhere, but not here, that DD has grown quite a bit in the past 6 months. In May, she was 5' .5" and 101 lbs. Then last week when she hurt her foot, they weighed her in at 91 lbs. The irony was just the day before I said to Rusty, "Man, she's looking downright boney! I'm gonna have to weigh her to see what's up." We'd been arguing with her dad for some time now because he's been giving her hell about the amount of food she eats. It was like he wanted to see if he could give her an eating disorder, and we were SUPER pissed. She kept telling me every weekend about what a jerk he'd been, and when I noticed she was thinner, I thought maybe she'd been refusing to eat at his house or something.
A couple days went by, she complained about random stomach aches, feeling like she could throw up. But you never know with kids what they really mean, if they're being completely truthful, etc. and I flat-out told her that until she actually threw up (she had no fever), there's nothing I could do for her. She'd turn around and eat a full dinner and snack afterward, so I figured she couldn't be that sick. Then on Monday, she leaned in to kiss me and I noticed her breath smelled really sharp, like sweet rubbing alcohol. A light went off in my head, I remembered that there was a distinctive smell like that associated with ketosis. I googled, I researched, and I called the doctor the minute they opened the next day. It seemed to take forever to reach a person and not an answering machine, but finally they set us up to get some labs done at the hospital asap, and an appointment with the doc at 4pm. It was 9am when we had her blood drawn, then I took her back to school, and went in to work. I wasn't there 10 minutes before they were calling me saying, "Get her out of school, bring her here right NOW." These are not words you want to hear from your pediatrician. I had to shut half my brain down just to keep from panicking. We get to the doctor, and she wants to make small talk. DON'T FUCK WITH ME, BITCH! I DON'T CARE ABOUT YOUR FUCKING CRAFT PROJECTS! So yes, her blood sugar is high, we've got diabetes, go over to the pediatric ward at the hospital, and they'll get her started on an IV.
Now anyone who's been through this knows immediately that this is not going to be " a few hours in the hospital". But me, I had no idea. And I had no idea what to tell my now VERY confused 11 yr old. It has been a flurry of information and instruction followed by hours and hours of staring out the window. 4 days later, I finally got to bring her home.
She was a trooper the whole time, I can't begin to say how proud I am of how well she's handled it. And I've kept it together for so long, I know I'm going to fall apart eventually. I just haven't found the right time.
Comments:
Post a Comment