Wednesday, September 30, 2009
Seriously, universe?
I've got no patience for these sorts of days... I already woke up crabby because we're STILL waking up at 2am to do a blood sugar check, and then again at 6am, and naturally at 10pm when I ought to be going to bed, I can't settle myself down enough to get any sleep.
Work was frenetic and frustrating--it was another Everybody's Got A Problem day. And for some reason, it was Everybody Wants To Emtpy Their Bank Account day, too, which naturally coincided with Cash Delivery Day. We actually emptied the vault of all but about $3500.
I had to try to call DD's pediatrician to reschedule her hospital follow-up appointment. It was originally for last Friday, the 25th. But she cancelled, saying she was sick. They wanted to know if we could reschedule for the 7th. I told them I was certain the doctor wanted to see her sooner than that, and to please look into it. Naturally no one called me. Monday came and went, and I called on Tuesday to follow up. "Oh, well yesterday was her day off, so I'll have to see what she wants to do." Her day off? I beg to differ, but I believe you took Friday off, thankyou, and if rescheduling all the people you gave the shaft on Friday is such a bitch, you ought to drag yourself into the office on your "day off" to catch up. Still, they can only offer me another appointment on the 7th. I tell them to pencil me in just to hold the spot, but PLEASE check with her, because I'm CERTAIN she wants to see us sooner than that. Then I realized this morning that the appointment on the 7th won't work anyway, as we already have an appointment at that time (marriage counseling, and I'll be damned if I wait another month to get back into THAT office). Now the pediatrician can only see us on the 13th. If I were a cartoon, I'm fairly certain that steam would begin shooting out of my ears, I was ready to hand someone their head. "Listen, I have been telling you all week that I am CERTAIN the doctor wants to see us sooner than that. We had an appointment, and YOU cancelled. If the doctor has too many patients to see the ones that are actually ill and need attention, then we need to talk about switching doctors, because waiting 3 full weeks for a hospital follow-up is COMPLETELY UNACCEPTABLE." "Oh, was she in the hospital?" {Head, meet palm.} Suddenly, we can get in tomorrow at 2. But it'll take at least a week for my blood pressure to return to normal.
And that was just the morning portion of my Day From Hell. While sitting down for a quick bite, I see that I have a voicemail. It's the clinic I went to last week saying my labs are back.
Wait, I went to a clinic for labs last week?
Oh YEAH, the insurance physical. See, Rusty's employer requires all the employees and their spouses to complete a basic phsyical as part of the requirement to get insurance. They had nurses on site to do these things earlier this month. You had to sign up for an appointment (and naturally they gave you all of a week's notice), and there weren't a lot of options. And naturally MY appointment was for the morning after we checked into the hospital. Being the cooperative and generous company that they are, I was told that I could have the form completed by a clinic in town. At my own expense, naturally. Because I fart money these days. Everyone I called wanted to schedule the physical for two weeks from now, but the form had to be returned by the 30th, no exceptions, or not only would *I* not be covered, but NO ONE in the FAMILY would be covered. Sure, that's fair. So I went to this dinky joint that squeezed me in on Friday and said the labs wouldn't be back until Monday. And here they were calling me on WEDNESDAY to tell me they were in. Which meant that they hadn't sent the forms to the insurance company, and today is the deadline. And I work until after the clinic closes. Fuck. Fuck fuck fuck. My coworkers were gracious enough to let me run across town to pick it up before coming back from lunch. I run in, and the receptionist is on the phone. She's chatting with someone who aparently has more questions than Lana Lang about H1N1 vaccinations. She spies my nametag, grabs the envelope with my name on it and gives it to me. I bolt out the door before I realize that what's in the envelope is ONLY the lab results, NOT the required form for the insurance company. I go back to the desk. And stand there for 10 more minutes while she continues to talk about how she thinks the schools will get the vax first, but she doesn't know... She finally gets off the phone with Chatty Cathy, and is surprised to learn that there's supposed to be more. She looks on one shelf and explains that if there were other forms for me, they'd be sitting right there, and since those forms have personal information on them, they don't keep them, they SHRED them, so it's probably been shredded. "Let me explain: these forms are provided by the insurance company, and explicitly said on the front of the form that they were due TODAY. They will not provide another form. And if that form is not returned TODAY, I will lose my health insurance. So if what you're telling me is true, and this form has been shredded WITHOUT sending a copy of it to the insurance company PER THE DIRECTIONS EXPLICTLY SPELLED OUT ON THE COVER, there will be trouble for everyone who ever worked in this office." "Let me call the office manager." You do that. 5 minutes later, the form turns up, but it's clearly missing the glucose reading. They quickly do a blood sugar test and hand over the forms. I faxed them myself from work, even though Rusty implied that that's against the rules, that they're supposed to come directly from the clinic. Whatever, I'm feeling ready to roll some heads at this point, if they fuck with me, I will have someone's job mounted above my fireplace by the end of the year.
I've got no patience for these sorts of days... I already woke up crabby because we're STILL waking up at 2am to do a blood sugar check, and then again at 6am, and naturally at 10pm when I ought to be going to bed, I can't settle myself down enough to get any sleep.
Work was frenetic and frustrating--it was another Everybody's Got A Problem day. And for some reason, it was Everybody Wants To Emtpy Their Bank Account day, too, which naturally coincided with Cash Delivery Day. We actually emptied the vault of all but about $3500.
I had to try to call DD's pediatrician to reschedule her hospital follow-up appointment. It was originally for last Friday, the 25th. But she cancelled, saying she was sick. They wanted to know if we could reschedule for the 7th. I told them I was certain the doctor wanted to see her sooner than that, and to please look into it. Naturally no one called me. Monday came and went, and I called on Tuesday to follow up. "Oh, well yesterday was her day off, so I'll have to see what she wants to do." Her day off? I beg to differ, but I believe you took Friday off, thankyou, and if rescheduling all the people you gave the shaft on Friday is such a bitch, you ought to drag yourself into the office on your "day off" to catch up. Still, they can only offer me another appointment on the 7th. I tell them to pencil me in just to hold the spot, but PLEASE check with her, because I'm CERTAIN she wants to see us sooner than that. Then I realized this morning that the appointment on the 7th won't work anyway, as we already have an appointment at that time (marriage counseling, and I'll be damned if I wait another month to get back into THAT office). Now the pediatrician can only see us on the 13th. If I were a cartoon, I'm fairly certain that steam would begin shooting out of my ears, I was ready to hand someone their head. "Listen, I have been telling you all week that I am CERTAIN the doctor wants to see us sooner than that. We had an appointment, and YOU cancelled. If the doctor has too many patients to see the ones that are actually ill and need attention, then we need to talk about switching doctors, because waiting 3 full weeks for a hospital follow-up is COMPLETELY UNACCEPTABLE." "Oh, was she in the hospital?" {Head, meet palm.} Suddenly, we can get in tomorrow at 2. But it'll take at least a week for my blood pressure to return to normal.
And that was just the morning portion of my Day From Hell. While sitting down for a quick bite, I see that I have a voicemail. It's the clinic I went to last week saying my labs are back.
Wait, I went to a clinic for labs last week?
Oh YEAH, the insurance physical. See, Rusty's employer requires all the employees and their spouses to complete a basic phsyical as part of the requirement to get insurance. They had nurses on site to do these things earlier this month. You had to sign up for an appointment (and naturally they gave you all of a week's notice), and there weren't a lot of options. And naturally MY appointment was for the morning after we checked into the hospital. Being the cooperative and generous company that they are, I was told that I could have the form completed by a clinic in town. At my own expense, naturally. Because I fart money these days. Everyone I called wanted to schedule the physical for two weeks from now, but the form had to be returned by the 30th, no exceptions, or not only would *I* not be covered, but NO ONE in the FAMILY would be covered. Sure, that's fair. So I went to this dinky joint that squeezed me in on Friday and said the labs wouldn't be back until Monday. And here they were calling me on WEDNESDAY to tell me they were in. Which meant that they hadn't sent the forms to the insurance company, and today is the deadline. And I work until after the clinic closes. Fuck. Fuck fuck fuck. My coworkers were gracious enough to let me run across town to pick it up before coming back from lunch. I run in, and the receptionist is on the phone. She's chatting with someone who aparently has more questions than Lana Lang about H1N1 vaccinations. She spies my nametag, grabs the envelope with my name on it and gives it to me. I bolt out the door before I realize that what's in the envelope is ONLY the lab results, NOT the required form for the insurance company. I go back to the desk. And stand there for 10 more minutes while she continues to talk about how she thinks the schools will get the vax first, but she doesn't know... She finally gets off the phone with Chatty Cathy, and is surprised to learn that there's supposed to be more. She looks on one shelf and explains that if there were other forms for me, they'd be sitting right there, and since those forms have personal information on them, they don't keep them, they SHRED them, so it's probably been shredded. "Let me explain: these forms are provided by the insurance company, and explicitly said on the front of the form that they were due TODAY. They will not provide another form. And if that form is not returned TODAY, I will lose my health insurance. So if what you're telling me is true, and this form has been shredded WITHOUT sending a copy of it to the insurance company PER THE DIRECTIONS EXPLICTLY SPELLED OUT ON THE COVER, there will be trouble for everyone who ever worked in this office." "Let me call the office manager." You do that. 5 minutes later, the form turns up, but it's clearly missing the glucose reading. They quickly do a blood sugar test and hand over the forms. I faxed them myself from work, even though Rusty implied that that's against the rules, that they're supposed to come directly from the clinic. Whatever, I'm feeling ready to roll some heads at this point, if they fuck with me, I will have someone's job mounted above my fireplace by the end of the year.
Comments:
Post a Comment