<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Sunday, March 07, 2010

Ugh, I'm still in diabetes hell. Poor DD, she must be miserable. Her numbers have been creeping higher and higher, and try as we may, we just can't wrestle it back to where it belongs for more than a couple of hours at a time. When it gets really high, it runs her down and she feels terrible, then a huge hit of insulin makes the blood sugar drop, which makes her feel even worse. I'm told it's normal for growth spurts to cause uncontrolable blood sugars, so here's hoping it's just a phase. We asked the endocrinologist to send us info about pumps. She'll be thrilled if we can actually get it through. In the meantime, I'm trying not to let it get to me--all the super highs and huge shots and possible dangerous lows. I'm losing sleep, and it's hard not to let it show. I don't want DD to think she's a burden, but the truth is, diabetes is HARD WORK. I am not a pancreas, and yet it's become my job to be one anyway. And I feel like I'm failing miserably. It's exhausting.

On the work front, though, it's drama drama and more drama. I was only joking, but it's kind of true when I told Bossman you should have a degree in Psychology to do this job. You have no idea how many people's personal problems I'm privvy to. It's disturbing.

There's Jimmy. Jimmy has a gambling problem. Jimmy's account is about 90% ATM withdrawals at the local casino. This past fall, he'd overdrawn his account seriously enough that the bank extended him credit to allow him to make payments against it rather than close his account and send it to collections. He was about 4 months into the payment plan when he came in last month and made a $6k cash deposit, and paid off the rest of the credit line in cash. Seems he'd hit it big at the casino. He blathered on and on about how it was a fluke, he wasn't going to go, but he just happened to be driving by and was tired and needed to stop somewhere. So naturally the only thing to do was to hit the $5 slot machines. He won a little here and there until by the end of the night he had $38k, or so he claimed. He swore to my face he was never going back there again. When he left, S laughed and said, "Bullshit." "Yeah, I know. I'll bet my next paycheck he's negative again by next week." Is it wrong that I wanted to gamble on the behavior of a gambling addict? And what do you know, I was right. Less than 7 days later he was negative $400 again. Sad.

Then there's Miranda. She needed to close her joint account and their debit cards. She caught her husband at the bar last night with another woman for the 6th time and she was cutting him off completely.

Or Jane. Jane works for Ball Mart. About 3 weeks ago, Jane got busted for dealing cocaine. We had no idea, but then that explains how a Ball Mart employee could manage to have more than 2 grand in her bank account. A few days later, Jane's boyfriend came in with a power of attorney so that he could access her cash--which, after scanning the newspaper and comparing transactions, we can see that he took out just enough to post her bail. But that's not dramatic enough, no, Hoosiers do it Hollywood style sometimes, you know. As it turns out there's a big scandal down at the jail... when they booked her, the report said they found cocaine in her coat. Later they changed it to read that they had found the cocaine on the floor next to her coat, which totally makes it look like they planted evidence. They've fired 3 people now, and we're fascinated to see if Jane will get off compeltely because of their fuckup.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?