<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Wednesday, April 14, 2010

DD got home today. She'd been away camping for her 6th grade trip. I was a nervous wreck because I had to entrust her car to adults who don't do that--well, EVER. Even the school nurse, who was accompanying them, said that DD probably knew more about it that she did. Not comforting, thank you.

But my happiness to have her back home was short-lived.

First, she informed me that at one point yesterday afternoon, she fainted. But, she assured me confidently, it had nothing to do with blood sugar.

"Really?"
Yes. I was just hot and exhausted from hiking.
"Did they call the nurse?"
Yes.
"Did she check your blood sugar?"
Yes.
"Well? What was it?"
35.

35 is dangerously low. Like, rush to the hospital, she's having seizures low. I'm suddenly filled with worry I thought she understood her condition well enough to be aware of the dangers of low blood sugars.

After she went to bed, I went to her room and took her meter.

OMG. I seriously am so angry right now I don't even know what to say to her. What I found made me unbelievably angry. She left on Monday morning after breakfast, and returned at the end of the school day today. Here's what her meter has to say:
Monday
breakfast (at home) 93
lunch (at camp) 50
dinner 148
bedtime [no reading]
2am [no reading]
Tuesday
breakfast [no reading]
lunch 64
dinner [no reading]
bedtime 96
2am [no reading]
Wednesday
breakfast [no reading]
lunch [no reading]
dinner (at home, but I was at work) [no reading]
bedtime (I was home) 218
Where do I even start??!!!?!?! First of all, I gave her permission to skip the 2ams IF her bedtime reading was over 160. Clearly, it didn't happen that way.
Next, I told her she HAD to test after anything strenuous like hiking, to make sure she didn't go low. Not a single non-meal or bedtime reading.
Then, there's no 35 reading to be found anywhere. Just exactly how much of that story was true?

And then, she thought she could go all day without a test and I wouldn't notice??? Seriously????

OK, she's 12. I've been warned she'd do this stuff. But she flat out lied to me. And not lies about homework or clean laundry, about THIS?? She knows when she's supposed to test. She flat out didn't want to do it. I am PISSED.

And on top of that, I warned the nurse that because she's 12, she was likely to get caught up with her friends and do her best to get out of testing, so please make sure someone checks on her. I do not consider what I'm looking at on this meter as sufficient. I wonder how many of the few tests she did take were after she was prompted to do so by an adult??

I'm so angry, because she's always been a reliably responsible enough kid. Now I feel I can't trust her for five minutes without checking up on her. She's getting grounded. From what or how long, I don't know, but she's going to be miserable for a Very. Long. Time.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?