Tuesday, May 25, 2010
I had an opening shift this morning, so I was dutifully booting up my computer to clock in (with the lights out, mind you) when Some Dude walks in and asks if he can cash a check if he's got an account with us. I ask to see the check in question, he hands it over. It's a jail check. No, he doesn't work at the jail. It's the check you're given when you get out of jail. See, when you're arrested, they confiscate everything, including your wallet and all the cash inside it. When you get out, they don't give you the cash back, only the personal effects. They write you a check for the cash. So Dude's got a jail check.
"Yeah, this is no problem. Just come back at 9 when we open, we don't have any drawers open right now."
"OK, thanks." [takes about two steps, stops, turns back again] "You look really good today."
Jesus Christ, how long was he in jail??
I thought for sure starting the day off that way was a horrible, horrible omen, and save for a huge rush for the first hour of business, it was a pretty boring day.
One small highlight, though: A woman called with some questions because she had some items returned for "insignificant funds". Classic. Almost as good as the old guy who called me a few months ago who was all concerned about the account he had that was "in the rear."
In other news: I am not liking Welbutrin. I've been taking it 5 days now, and while I'm pretty sure that my runny nose/cough with sinus headache and slight dizziness is coincidental, I have also developed a horrifically annoying taste in my mouth. Or feeling... it's not quite "dry", not quite "numb", not quite "metal". It coats the entire top surface of my tongue. It is relentless, and I'm chugging water and Diet Coke and eating heavy spicy food just to cover it up for a few minutes. I seem to be tasting everything OK.. maybe it's a little dulled. But it only feels close to normal when I'm eating something. And I can't quit grinding my teeth.
Can I tell you how completely unhappy I am at the very notion of taking antidepressants again? I swore I'd never do it again, and I was just getting back to feeling NORMAL. Fuck. But the reality is I can't live with the pain without treatment. I can understand how some patients end up on disability. We don't want THAT. Where's a winning lotto ticket when you need one?
"Yeah, this is no problem. Just come back at 9 when we open, we don't have any drawers open right now."
"OK, thanks." [takes about two steps, stops, turns back again] "You look really good today."
Jesus Christ, how long was he in jail??
I thought for sure starting the day off that way was a horrible, horrible omen, and save for a huge rush for the first hour of business, it was a pretty boring day.
One small highlight, though: A woman called with some questions because she had some items returned for "insignificant funds". Classic. Almost as good as the old guy who called me a few months ago who was all concerned about the account he had that was "in the rear."
In other news: I am not liking Welbutrin. I've been taking it 5 days now, and while I'm pretty sure that my runny nose/cough with sinus headache and slight dizziness is coincidental, I have also developed a horrifically annoying taste in my mouth. Or feeling... it's not quite "dry", not quite "numb", not quite "metal". It coats the entire top surface of my tongue. It is relentless, and I'm chugging water and Diet Coke and eating heavy spicy food just to cover it up for a few minutes. I seem to be tasting everything OK.. maybe it's a little dulled. But it only feels close to normal when I'm eating something. And I can't quit grinding my teeth.
Can I tell you how completely unhappy I am at the very notion of taking antidepressants again? I swore I'd never do it again, and I was just getting back to feeling NORMAL. Fuck. But the reality is I can't live with the pain without treatment. I can understand how some patients end up on disability. We don't want THAT. Where's a winning lotto ticket when you need one?
Comments:
Post a Comment