Saturday, July 17, 2010
The disappointing CPS update: nothing. We have no idea if they even spoke with Sea Hag. There was aboslutely no follow up on our end, and I suspect that if they spoke with Sea Hag, she'd never admit it. Last week they had to bring BattleAx to the ER, so who knows, maybe she'll end up back in the nursing home soon.
On the work front, good news: I FINALLY had my annual review. There was a technical problem that held up the process for about a month. The review process is tedious--typical bank: duplicate paperwork. They had a list of about 10 categories (attention to detail, sales, communication, etc.). I had to go through the list and rate myself and write a comment about how I think I'm doing in that area. Boss did the same, and when it was finally forwarded to him, we sat down to compare notes. I was pretty hard on myself--not tragically so, though, more of a "there's always room for improvement" kind of thing. He rated me higher than I'd rated myself in almost every category. The highlights were basically that my only real area I need to improve in is sales. I already knew that, of course, but he made it pretty clear that it's the most valued characteristic when it comes to promotability. So we plan to sit down and try some brainstorming and analysis to see what it'll take to make it easier for me to cold-sell. Role playing with my boss. *sigh*, not fun. But seriously, that's the only bad thing there was. He couldn't say enough good things about me (thank God--these reviews are read by his boss, his boss's boss, and the HR staff, all of which were also privvy to my writeups earlier in the year). One of my concerns was that my co-workers might resent the fact that I don't do as many teller transactions as they do--when it's slow and someone approaches the teller line, 90% of the time, I'm working on a project of some sort while they're standing around looking at Craigslist, so I'm not the first one to jump up and help someone. He seemed suprised that I might be concerned about that, because he thinks it's pretty obvious to everyone that I do way more work as a whole than they do because I have way more responsibilities. For example, I was on vacation last week (aside: this was the first time in my FUCKING LIFE I've ever had a paid vacation. It sucked that we didn't have loads of money to do something special, but it was freaking AWESOME having all that time to do whatever the fuck I wanted to). When I came back, there were several projects waiting for me. Boss joked that he quickly found that he couldn't get anything done without me around.
Rule them ALL I tell you!!
So it was a nice little "Sassy Is Great" session, which ended in even better news: I get a raise. First he quoted .75/hr more, which I would have been happy with, but then he asked me what my hourly rate is now, and when I told him, he didn't believe me. He double-checked and told me the raise will be $1/hr instead. Shamon!
I am hopeful that there's a promotion in my near future--we still don't have an assistant manager, and Boss has been clear that he prefers to promote one of his own staff. He also told me that I am absolutely promotable now. I suspect that it's my most recent write-ups that are holding me back right now. I'm pretty sure that they won't promote me until a "sufficient" amount of time (who knows what that is) has passed with no repeats of the problems. There was a big to-do when I screwed up a vault balance one night a couple of months ago because I was in so much pain from the Fibro that I opted to write some stuff down from memory rather than go get the paperwork and double-check, and I ended up transposing some numbers. So--if they're holding that against me, it'll still be about 4 months before I'm 6 months in the clear, but they made a pretty big deal about getting FMLA in place for me, so I wonder if that's going to still count against me. If not, that buys me another 5 months of Good Behavior. I just wish this stuff was more openly known. A promotion to ABM would mean a LOT more money, PLUS bonuses. Dear Sweet Baby Jesus in a Manger, please answer my prayer. Lord, Sweet Jesus in a diaper...
And to think I hesitated to even apply for this job--I was sure I wouldn't get it. Then when I was offered it, I was sure I wouldn't like it and I wouldn't stay long. How could I not know it was a good fit?? The universe is mysterious, my friends.
On the work front, good news: I FINALLY had my annual review. There was a technical problem that held up the process for about a month. The review process is tedious--typical bank: duplicate paperwork. They had a list of about 10 categories (attention to detail, sales, communication, etc.). I had to go through the list and rate myself and write a comment about how I think I'm doing in that area. Boss did the same, and when it was finally forwarded to him, we sat down to compare notes. I was pretty hard on myself--not tragically so, though, more of a "there's always room for improvement" kind of thing. He rated me higher than I'd rated myself in almost every category. The highlights were basically that my only real area I need to improve in is sales. I already knew that, of course, but he made it pretty clear that it's the most valued characteristic when it comes to promotability. So we plan to sit down and try some brainstorming and analysis to see what it'll take to make it easier for me to cold-sell. Role playing with my boss. *sigh*, not fun. But seriously, that's the only bad thing there was. He couldn't say enough good things about me (thank God--these reviews are read by his boss, his boss's boss, and the HR staff, all of which were also privvy to my writeups earlier in the year). One of my concerns was that my co-workers might resent the fact that I don't do as many teller transactions as they do--when it's slow and someone approaches the teller line, 90% of the time, I'm working on a project of some sort while they're standing around looking at Craigslist, so I'm not the first one to jump up and help someone. He seemed suprised that I might be concerned about that, because he thinks it's pretty obvious to everyone that I do way more work as a whole than they do because I have way more responsibilities. For example, I was on vacation last week (aside: this was the first time in my FUCKING LIFE I've ever had a paid vacation. It sucked that we didn't have loads of money to do something special, but it was freaking AWESOME having all that time to do whatever the fuck I wanted to). When I came back, there were several projects waiting for me. Boss joked that he quickly found that he couldn't get anything done without me around.
Rule them ALL I tell you!!
So it was a nice little "Sassy Is Great" session, which ended in even better news: I get a raise. First he quoted .75/hr more, which I would have been happy with, but then he asked me what my hourly rate is now, and when I told him, he didn't believe me. He double-checked and told me the raise will be $1/hr instead. Shamon!
I am hopeful that there's a promotion in my near future--we still don't have an assistant manager, and Boss has been clear that he prefers to promote one of his own staff. He also told me that I am absolutely promotable now. I suspect that it's my most recent write-ups that are holding me back right now. I'm pretty sure that they won't promote me until a "sufficient" amount of time (who knows what that is) has passed with no repeats of the problems. There was a big to-do when I screwed up a vault balance one night a couple of months ago because I was in so much pain from the Fibro that I opted to write some stuff down from memory rather than go get the paperwork and double-check, and I ended up transposing some numbers. So--if they're holding that against me, it'll still be about 4 months before I'm 6 months in the clear, but they made a pretty big deal about getting FMLA in place for me, so I wonder if that's going to still count against me. If not, that buys me another 5 months of Good Behavior. I just wish this stuff was more openly known. A promotion to ABM would mean a LOT more money, PLUS bonuses. Dear Sweet Baby Jesus in a Manger, please answer my prayer. Lord, Sweet Jesus in a diaper...
And to think I hesitated to even apply for this job--I was sure I wouldn't get it. Then when I was offered it, I was sure I wouldn't like it and I wouldn't stay long. How could I not know it was a good fit?? The universe is mysterious, my friends.
Comments:
Post a Comment