<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Saturday, March 05, 2011

So yesterday my mind was so focused on my interview that I failed to mention a little incident that looks like it's going to explode.

When I came in Friday morning, S-hole and J were snickering about something but didn't share it with me. I ignored them. A couple hours later, D-ball came in, and they both jumped on the opportunity to show him their source of amusement. J and I both were helping customers when S-hole first showed him a piece of paper and cut up a little over it. Standing about 3 yards away (in a noisy environment), they engaged J in the conversation (while he was helping a customer), waving the sheet around. I saw it was a highlighted printout from someone's bank account. It quickly became clear that they were laughing about something that had posted to someone's account. In front of customers. My customer left, and since I was standing near to him, S-hole showed me the paper: it showed Boss' name as the account owner, and the highlighted transactions were from a "male-enhancement supplement" company, and an adult film company. He claimed that a WalMart employee had found it on the floor and brought it back to the branch. The jokes continued for about 20 minutes. For the most part, after the initial joking, they didn't speak in specifics, although they were clearly ridiculing someone. The whole incident pissed me off, but I stayed out of it as much as possible.

This morning I intended to speak with Boss about it, but it was just awkward to get him alone, and we'd keep getting interrupted. Besides, this is the sort of thing I'd want to document in writing, anyway. So I emailed him a description very much like the previous paragrah, and added that I realized that S-hole thinks that Boss is fair game, and that Boss is mostly OK with them having fun at his expense, but I thought that this crossed some very clear lines, in violating Boss' privacy and in professional behavior--particularly in front of customers. He responded saying that he knew about it, and pointed out that the document in question had been doctored from someone else's account. Of course I responded immediately: "That doesn't make it better. In fact, I have to point out that this very clearly qualifies and creating a hostile workplace and still very much violates both your privacy and the privacy of the individual whose account he used. It was beyond unprofessional."

Later, he pulled me into the back room to let me know that he's going through the proper channels, that he's going to address it and he will follow up with me when he's done. A bit later he took a call on his cell from VP, and shortly after that he scanned the document in question to email it to someone. I am willing to bet this is quickly becoming an HR disciplinary action of some sort. And S-hole couldn't have picked a worse time to pull this shit: Monday morning at 7am we have a branch meeting, and VP will be attending! And so the roller coaster begins again... I wonder how long this will take to resolve itself.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?