Wednesday, April 13, 2011
The drama never ends!!
As I walked in yesterday morning, S-hole said, "Did you get my text?" dun-dun-DUNNNN!!!! He must've texted me while I was driving in. I went to the back, where Boss was on the computer and paid no attention whatsoever to me. I whipped out my phone and read: "VP is coming today. This should be interesting." Oh FUCK. In seconds my stomach acid started churning. I'd gotten in a bit early, so I was stuck back there waiting until I could clock in--I was back there for at least ten minutes, and Boss never spoke to me. I clocked in at 11:55, and by 12:05, VP was breezing in. FUCK, FUCK.
Moments later, VP was in the back with Boss. S-hole and I whispered a little under our breath trying to analyze the clues: are we getting written up or not? Why else would she be here? Boss had shared absolutely NOTHING with either of us about any need for her to be here. We decided it was inevitable. Every time Boss emerged from the back, we both froze in our tracks waiting to be called back. All FUCKING afternoon, we were both on tenterhooks... waiting, waiting, waiting for the shoe to drop. What's that he's printing? Is that our writeup? We ordered lunch for the branch, and he sent the other two guys first. Jesus, is he going to call us back there and expect us to EAT while they yelled at us? God, my stomach was in knots. I reiterated to S-hole that I would not sign any sort of disciplinary action. He said that he'd be OK with signing a "documented discussion action" (like the one I just got for the vault incident). I told him that I'd refuse even that, because my drawer was only off by one dollar and there was NO WAY I'd sign any sort of disciplinary action for ONE DOLLAR. No fucking way.
We were told to come get our lunch. I think I vomited a little in my mouth. S-hole went in first while I was finishing up something, and emerged with the carry-out box. "Let's get out of here before they change their minds." We walked down to the restaurant inside Major Retailer and ate our Chinese take-out over nervous stomachs. S-hole shared with me that after Friday's incident, he was so thoroughly pissed off that he immediately started looking for other jobs. His uncle, he informs me, just got in with Engine Maker, a huge multi-national company that's headquartered in town, and he thinks he can get S-hole in on an executive level at "nearly twice my pay". He said that J had already interviewed for a job with another bank, but didn't get it, and he'd considered applying for it, too. But, he confessed, he wasn't sure if he wanted to stay in banking anyway. He is determined to get out. Through our conversation, I learned exactly how burned S-hole really is by Boss lately. They used to be big party buddies, but they don't hang out anymore because S-hole got a face-full of exactly what I thought would happen: Boss pulls rank at work and expects deference, and S-hole can't abide by being treated that way by a friend. I told him flat out that I knew it would happen that way and I always thought it was a bad idea to party with your boss--on a regular basis, anyway. I do admit, though, that Boss has gone quite over the line in the way he treats us all, especially lately. We've become so successful, and he's grown so egotistical and condescending at times--and just like with this stupid cash swap/outage, he gets all superior and hypocritical, and actively throws everyone else under the bus at every opportunity. During last week's discussion, he actually tried to claim he's never messed up a cash swap before, and I had to call him out on it, naming specific incidents. I see all these personality flaws from a distance and recognized the train wreck before it was about to happen. It must've been pretty painful for S-hole, who wholly believed they were buddies and Boss would have his back. Honestly, over the past couple of weeks, I've grown quite sympathetic for S-hole. Don't get me wrong--he's got a serious issue with self-control, maturity, and workplace propriety. But at the core of it, he's a good guy. I can't be bitter about him getting the promotion anymore because he does have more banking experience than me--more than I knew at the time. I can see he was really taken in by the idea that the promotion was going to mean more of a collaboration than it really was. We talked a bit about the job itself--how I know I'll get there eventually, but it's a little scary taking the position with a manager that I'm not familiar with; that it's nice to already know exactly what Boss expects and how he thinks on certain issues. He pointedly said to be careful about what you know and what you THINK you know.
We trudged back to the branch, fully expecting to get called in for the axe to fall. VP was still there. Our corporate offices have this stupid procedure (OK, it's stupid to us, I'm sure it makes sense on their end) to audit the ATM that requires that EVERY branch shut down their ATM at the same exact time, count the cash inside and report it, and wouldn't you know: yesterday was ATM Audit day. I sat down at my desk hoping to find some interesting emails to kill some time with when I saw the Audit reminder. I looked at my clock. FUCK, it's in ONE MINUTE! The ATM was not shut down. I dashed over to it while calling to S-hole to go get the key. I stood there and shut it down, printing off the reports we'd need while S-hole waited for one of the guys to be free because we required one of their keys to get into the vault. As he hit the door, Boss came out in a panic, and S-hole said, "We need the ATM key..." while Boss shouted over him: "Did we get the ATM?!?" I waved at him from the ATM, "Got it. Already shut down." S-hole told me later that he turned back inside and told VP that he'd already taken care of it. (eye roll)
Finally, around 3:45, VP emerged from the back room, packed up her stuff and left.
No write ups. FUCK. Jesus, Boss, you could have SAID SOMETHING!!! FUCK.
As I walked in yesterday morning, S-hole said, "Did you get my text?" dun-dun-DUNNNN!!!! He must've texted me while I was driving in. I went to the back, where Boss was on the computer and paid no attention whatsoever to me. I whipped out my phone and read: "VP is coming today. This should be interesting." Oh FUCK. In seconds my stomach acid started churning. I'd gotten in a bit early, so I was stuck back there waiting until I could clock in--I was back there for at least ten minutes, and Boss never spoke to me. I clocked in at 11:55, and by 12:05, VP was breezing in. FUCK, FUCK.
Moments later, VP was in the back with Boss. S-hole and I whispered a little under our breath trying to analyze the clues: are we getting written up or not? Why else would she be here? Boss had shared absolutely NOTHING with either of us about any need for her to be here. We decided it was inevitable. Every time Boss emerged from the back, we both froze in our tracks waiting to be called back. All FUCKING afternoon, we were both on tenterhooks... waiting, waiting, waiting for the shoe to drop. What's that he's printing? Is that our writeup? We ordered lunch for the branch, and he sent the other two guys first. Jesus, is he going to call us back there and expect us to EAT while they yelled at us? God, my stomach was in knots. I reiterated to S-hole that I would not sign any sort of disciplinary action. He said that he'd be OK with signing a "documented discussion action" (like the one I just got for the vault incident). I told him that I'd refuse even that, because my drawer was only off by one dollar and there was NO WAY I'd sign any sort of disciplinary action for ONE DOLLAR. No fucking way.
We were told to come get our lunch. I think I vomited a little in my mouth. S-hole went in first while I was finishing up something, and emerged with the carry-out box. "Let's get out of here before they change their minds." We walked down to the restaurant inside Major Retailer and ate our Chinese take-out over nervous stomachs. S-hole shared with me that after Friday's incident, he was so thoroughly pissed off that he immediately started looking for other jobs. His uncle, he informs me, just got in with Engine Maker, a huge multi-national company that's headquartered in town, and he thinks he can get S-hole in on an executive level at "nearly twice my pay". He said that J had already interviewed for a job with another bank, but didn't get it, and he'd considered applying for it, too. But, he confessed, he wasn't sure if he wanted to stay in banking anyway. He is determined to get out. Through our conversation, I learned exactly how burned S-hole really is by Boss lately. They used to be big party buddies, but they don't hang out anymore because S-hole got a face-full of exactly what I thought would happen: Boss pulls rank at work and expects deference, and S-hole can't abide by being treated that way by a friend. I told him flat out that I knew it would happen that way and I always thought it was a bad idea to party with your boss--on a regular basis, anyway. I do admit, though, that Boss has gone quite over the line in the way he treats us all, especially lately. We've become so successful, and he's grown so egotistical and condescending at times--and just like with this stupid cash swap/outage, he gets all superior and hypocritical, and actively throws everyone else under the bus at every opportunity. During last week's discussion, he actually tried to claim he's never messed up a cash swap before, and I had to call him out on it, naming specific incidents. I see all these personality flaws from a distance and recognized the train wreck before it was about to happen. It must've been pretty painful for S-hole, who wholly believed they were buddies and Boss would have his back. Honestly, over the past couple of weeks, I've grown quite sympathetic for S-hole. Don't get me wrong--he's got a serious issue with self-control, maturity, and workplace propriety. But at the core of it, he's a good guy. I can't be bitter about him getting the promotion anymore because he does have more banking experience than me--more than I knew at the time. I can see he was really taken in by the idea that the promotion was going to mean more of a collaboration than it really was. We talked a bit about the job itself--how I know I'll get there eventually, but it's a little scary taking the position with a manager that I'm not familiar with; that it's nice to already know exactly what Boss expects and how he thinks on certain issues. He pointedly said to be careful about what you know and what you THINK you know.
We trudged back to the branch, fully expecting to get called in for the axe to fall. VP was still there. Our corporate offices have this stupid procedure (OK, it's stupid to us, I'm sure it makes sense on their end) to audit the ATM that requires that EVERY branch shut down their ATM at the same exact time, count the cash inside and report it, and wouldn't you know: yesterday was ATM Audit day. I sat down at my desk hoping to find some interesting emails to kill some time with when I saw the Audit reminder. I looked at my clock. FUCK, it's in ONE MINUTE! The ATM was not shut down. I dashed over to it while calling to S-hole to go get the key. I stood there and shut it down, printing off the reports we'd need while S-hole waited for one of the guys to be free because we required one of their keys to get into the vault. As he hit the door, Boss came out in a panic, and S-hole said, "We need the ATM key..." while Boss shouted over him: "Did we get the ATM?!?" I waved at him from the ATM, "Got it. Already shut down." S-hole told me later that he turned back inside and told VP that he'd already taken care of it. (eye roll)
Finally, around 3:45, VP emerged from the back room, packed up her stuff and left.
No write ups. FUCK. Jesus, Boss, you could have SAID SOMETHING!!! FUCK.
Comments:
Post a Comment