Wednesday, April 06, 2011
More work drama. Seriously? What the fucking fuck?
Friday was a bitch of a day. First of the month + payday = chaos. We had an increase in business across the board of about 40%, plus a myriad of random computer failures, Customers With Complicated Problems, and Customers with Attitudes. Already a bad day. Then add to that, normally on a day like this, we'd have 6 people scheduled to work, but D-ball was on vacation, so that cut us down to 5. Then Boss decided he would help out at a different branch because they were shorthanded. Note: this would be the Springfield branch, where the Mgr recently got promoted and the new Mgr has been working for about 2 weeks; AND Boss has been COMPLETELY up VP's butt lately doing all sorts of "projects" for her at the expense of his time with OUR branch's work. So without him, that leaves us with four people. That's right, 40% more business, 33% fewer staff. Later we found out that with his help, Springfield had 5 people on staff that day. That's right, screw your own branch to impress your boss: excellent work, Boss.
Anyway, early in the day, 3 of us had our teller software crash, forcing us to quit, run a fixer program and restart it--when this happens, it can throw off the calculations it automatically makes tracking the amount of money in the drawer. We were far too busy to take the time to balance our drawers and investigate that that had happened before proceeding, and each of us balanced our drawers at least an hour or more later when we finally had a moment to do it. In the meantime, I ran out of large bills in my drawer, and had to borrow some from S-hole to complete a transaction before I could finally get someone free to go to the vault to buy more. Instead of just taking his $500 in large bills, I gave him the $500 in twenties. When I returned with the large bills, I asked S-hole if he needed to swap back so he'd have some large in his drawer again. I gave him $500 in large, but he was in the middle of a transaction, so he didn't give me twenties back. I wasn't pressed to get them, either, because there were several people waiting in line and I had plenty of cash on hand to deal with them, so my plan was to clear the line then get my twenties back. But as luck would have it, before I could do that, I was called away to help a customer with some loan paperwork. By the time I was done, I'd forgotten about the twenties--again, not pressed because I knew they were safe, and we'd straighten it out when it was less hectic. When I finally had a chance to balance my drawer, I found that I was $499 short. Of course I wasn't really, I need the $500 from S-hole, and then I'd be $1 over. That pissed me off, but $1, I could deal with. S-hole confirmed, he was $402.00 over. Ouch--that means after giving me my $500, he was $98 short. Then we found out that D-Rod (our newest co-worker) was also off by a few cents. It's very VERY rare for more than one of us to be off at the same time, so all 3 of us being off was suspect--could the earlier computer problem have caused it? S-hole called Boss to see what to do while I was busy with customers, and Boss told him NOT to swap back the $500. Why?? Well, if there were computer problems at play, swapping it now might make it even harder to fix. Well no, because I KNOW he had $500 of my money. I KNOW he did. He didn't remember it as clearly as I did, but the numbers point at that, nobody's ever out of balance that much and not know where it went. He flat out FORBADE us from switching it. Fine, however he wants it done, right? No--he actually told J not to worry about that issue, because "It's being handled. It won't just get swept under the rug." Huh? That sounds like he plans on writing us up! Yes, you can get written up if your drawer has a "serious" outage. But CLEARLY this wasn't a serious outage, because it resulted in only a total of less than $100. The numbers were exaggerated only because he refused to let us fix what we both KNEW had happened. And this is a completely new thing--he has in the past PERSONALLY re-swapped money when HE made the exact same mistake. I swear to GOD if I get called in to get written up, I will refuse to sign it and there will be HELL TO PAY.
Friday was a bitch of a day. First of the month + payday = chaos. We had an increase in business across the board of about 40%, plus a myriad of random computer failures, Customers With Complicated Problems, and Customers with Attitudes. Already a bad day. Then add to that, normally on a day like this, we'd have 6 people scheduled to work, but D-ball was on vacation, so that cut us down to 5. Then Boss decided he would help out at a different branch because they were shorthanded. Note: this would be the Springfield branch, where the Mgr recently got promoted and the new Mgr has been working for about 2 weeks; AND Boss has been COMPLETELY up VP's butt lately doing all sorts of "projects" for her at the expense of his time with OUR branch's work. So without him, that leaves us with four people. That's right, 40% more business, 33% fewer staff. Later we found out that with his help, Springfield had 5 people on staff that day. That's right, screw your own branch to impress your boss: excellent work, Boss.
Anyway, early in the day, 3 of us had our teller software crash, forcing us to quit, run a fixer program and restart it--when this happens, it can throw off the calculations it automatically makes tracking the amount of money in the drawer. We were far too busy to take the time to balance our drawers and investigate that that had happened before proceeding, and each of us balanced our drawers at least an hour or more later when we finally had a moment to do it. In the meantime, I ran out of large bills in my drawer, and had to borrow some from S-hole to complete a transaction before I could finally get someone free to go to the vault to buy more. Instead of just taking his $500 in large bills, I gave him the $500 in twenties. When I returned with the large bills, I asked S-hole if he needed to swap back so he'd have some large in his drawer again. I gave him $500 in large, but he was in the middle of a transaction, so he didn't give me twenties back. I wasn't pressed to get them, either, because there were several people waiting in line and I had plenty of cash on hand to deal with them, so my plan was to clear the line then get my twenties back. But as luck would have it, before I could do that, I was called away to help a customer with some loan paperwork. By the time I was done, I'd forgotten about the twenties--again, not pressed because I knew they were safe, and we'd straighten it out when it was less hectic. When I finally had a chance to balance my drawer, I found that I was $499 short. Of course I wasn't really, I need the $500 from S-hole, and then I'd be $1 over. That pissed me off, but $1, I could deal with. S-hole confirmed, he was $402.00 over. Ouch--that means after giving me my $500, he was $98 short. Then we found out that D-Rod (our newest co-worker) was also off by a few cents. It's very VERY rare for more than one of us to be off at the same time, so all 3 of us being off was suspect--could the earlier computer problem have caused it? S-hole called Boss to see what to do while I was busy with customers, and Boss told him NOT to swap back the $500. Why?? Well, if there were computer problems at play, swapping it now might make it even harder to fix. Well no, because I KNOW he had $500 of my money. I KNOW he did. He didn't remember it as clearly as I did, but the numbers point at that, nobody's ever out of balance that much and not know where it went. He flat out FORBADE us from switching it. Fine, however he wants it done, right? No--he actually told J not to worry about that issue, because "It's being handled. It won't just get swept under the rug." Huh? That sounds like he plans on writing us up! Yes, you can get written up if your drawer has a "serious" outage. But CLEARLY this wasn't a serious outage, because it resulted in only a total of less than $100. The numbers were exaggerated only because he refused to let us fix what we both KNEW had happened. And this is a completely new thing--he has in the past PERSONALLY re-swapped money when HE made the exact same mistake. I swear to GOD if I get called in to get written up, I will refuse to sign it and there will be HELL TO PAY.
Comments:
Post a Comment