<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Saturday, April 09, 2011

So yesterday, Boss called S-hole and I into the back room to talk about "Friday". The fact that there wasn't another member of management put my mind at ease it little--at least I knew I wasn't getting written up TODAY. Boss started off on the wrong foot--he was stern and aloof, and basically demanded to know how we ended up with a $900 outage, and "these things only happen when I'm not here". Oh boy. I'd mentioned beforehand to S-hole that if I get written up I will refuse to sign it, and he vehemently concurred. Taking the cold, accusatory stance was not a productive way to begin the conversation, and I knew immediately S-hole was going to loose his cool. He took a confrontational stance in his chair and started getting red in the face while Boss prattled on about how he just can't BEGIN to understand how we could possibly have ended up so far out of balance, and it's NOT obvious that there was a cash swap involved, it could just be we were really $400 and $500 off. S-hole was argumentative from the get go, and the two of them batted accusations back and forth for about ten minutes. Boss holding the "I can't possibly understand" position and S-hole pushing the "Don't be a dick, you know that's what happened." line. They'd stop to take a breath, and then go right back to it. Finally, he asked me my side of the story. That didn't help much because my story didn't match exactly S-hole's story. More arguing ensued. "I need you guys to understand how serious these mistakes are." he said. "Do you honestly think that we don't understand that?" I asked. S-hole jumped in, "You know damned well that both of us go home upset when shit like this happens. I know I take it personally." "Shit, I lose sleep because I can't stop thinking about it when I screw up. I don't take any of it--not even the little stuff, lightly." I told him. Finally, he let it slip that he was going to have to have a conversation with VP and her boss about it because outages in those amounts are automatically reported to them. "So the whole purpose of this conversation is to bring you up to speed so that when you talk to them, you can present a valid, believable and hopefully verifiable explanation to them so that they don't press you to discipline us? I asked. "Yes." "Well shit, why come in here all accusatory and mad then?" We managed to discuss the details with a little less passion, and I was able to point out that my story didn't match S-hole's because there was obvious miscommunication, and what he says he told me wasn't how I understood him, and he because he had a customer in his face being a jerk at the time that I gave him the extra cash, he didn't realize that I had. "It all hangs on the fact that we were so slammed that there was not time for effective communication, despite our best efforts to do so." Then we talked about constructive ways to avoid this type of mishap in the future. So aggravating--it wasn't necessary to be so confrontational about it. So now we have to wait for his meeting with the higher ups and HR before we know if it's "over" or if we're going to be disciplined for what was essentially a clerical error. I won't breathe easy til I hear official word.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?