Monday, July 25, 2011
Did I accidentally say at one point that I'm disappointed that nobody flirts with me at work? Because if I did, I'm sorry, I take it back. Yes, yes, the guys have girls batting their eyes at them all the time. Some of them are... well, not 10's. Some of them are skanks. But some of them are normal, attractive females in their age range. Me, well, I like to say that Gollum is the president of my fan club, and Quasimodo is the vice president. It's Major Retailer, after all. So this verbatim conversation should come as no surprise:
Customer: [after I've asked for his ID] Do you need my phone number, too?
Me: No.
Customer: You've got my phone number there, don't you? You never call me! How come you never call me?
Me: Overdraw your account and I promise, we'll give you a call.
Customer: How much do I have to overdraw it for you to come to my house?
Me: I'm pretty sure they'd send a lawyer first.
I retold this conversation to Boss, and after a split second of "DAY-UM! That was BOLD!", he got very serious and said, "Now if you have a problem with this guy--if he bothers you at ALL, let me know. I'll take care of it."
I have to laugh at this. Boss is not an intimidating presence. Honestly, none of the guys are. But retelling this to Rusty, he is convinced that if anybody ever gave me any real grief, they'd all rush to my defense. "I don't have to worry about you there." he said. Well... yeah. I'm not entirely sure about that. I think in theory it's true. But I think they're all so immature and self-involved that they would either not NOTICE a problem until I'd handled it myself, or they'd TOTALLY wimp out.
One of the Major Retailer cashiers was chatting with me this afternoon about how one of the girls was assigned to be a door greeter just a couple of days ago when some scumbag cornered her against a wall and felt her up. And of course there are no cameras there, and no one else around to help her. She went home completely traumatized about it. At least most of the time, I have a counter between me and The Masses.
Customer: [after I've asked for his ID] Do you need my phone number, too?
Me: No.
Customer: You've got my phone number there, don't you? You never call me! How come you never call me?
Me: Overdraw your account and I promise, we'll give you a call.
Customer: How much do I have to overdraw it for you to come to my house?
Me: I'm pretty sure they'd send a lawyer first.
I retold this conversation to Boss, and after a split second of "DAY-UM! That was BOLD!", he got very serious and said, "Now if you have a problem with this guy--if he bothers you at ALL, let me know. I'll take care of it."
I have to laugh at this. Boss is not an intimidating presence. Honestly, none of the guys are. But retelling this to Rusty, he is convinced that if anybody ever gave me any real grief, they'd all rush to my defense. "I don't have to worry about you there." he said. Well... yeah. I'm not entirely sure about that. I think in theory it's true. But I think they're all so immature and self-involved that they would either not NOTICE a problem until I'd handled it myself, or they'd TOTALLY wimp out.
One of the Major Retailer cashiers was chatting with me this afternoon about how one of the girls was assigned to be a door greeter just a couple of days ago when some scumbag cornered her against a wall and felt her up. And of course there are no cameras there, and no one else around to help her. She went home completely traumatized about it. At least most of the time, I have a counter between me and The Masses.
Comments:
Post a Comment