Thursday, August 11, 2011
Am I psychic or just plain smart? Oh no, I think it's C: 20-something "men" are highly predictable in their behavior, especially in times of heightened emotions.
My concern, as I posted last night, wasn't necessarily that S-hole would go on a Whore Mongering Bender and taint the entire branch with some wild new STD--no, I felt strongly that with his suddenly single status, the general demeanor of the entire branch would slide sweatily into the locker room. And I was right. As One Boy Goes, So Goes The Rest of the Team.
This morning, part of my opening duties was to go through a pending file of forms and documents and complete as much as possible (some things are time-specific). Among the documents was a form that D-Rod had initialled as having received. The form contained some security questions a customer was supposed to assign to their online banking account. Instead of gathering valid answers to specific questions, once in a rare occassion, if the customer is in a huge rush, for example, we might set all the answers to one word, and instruct them to immediately change the questions when they log in the first time. That word has always been the name of our company. Easy. This form, however, did not use "Bank". This form's answer for everything was "WOMEN". "WOMEN." "WOMEN." "WOMEN." "WOMEN."
Instinctively, without thinking, I plopped it down on the counter and said aloud: "Are you kidding me with this BS?" Now, literally just minutes before this, I had JUST told Boss about how the Boys' conversations were leaning a little salty and in danger of getting inappropriate, and I knew this was fueled by S-hole's divorce, I expected it and understood it, and am willing to roll with the punches but wanted to put him on notice that if it became a constant, pervasive atmosphere I'd have a serious problem with it, or if it ramped up and crossed a line, there'd be a serious problem. I then told him that I fully intended to have a private conversation with S-hole about it, to remind him that he's a leader and sets the example for the other guys and that his respect would be greatly appreciated. Boss was very receptive and understanding--even saying that regardless of whether or not I had a conversation with S-hole, he'd be having a conversation with all of the guys about it because it was inappropriate to be trolling for women while at work.
FLASH FORWARD to the "WOMEN" form. "Are you kidding me with this BS?!" Boss came over and looked, but didn't see the answers right away. I pointed. His head kind of sunk a little and he shook his head. He took it from me and said he'd take care of it, and he needed to keep the paper seperate from the rest of our normal paperwork. He then asked me to email him to document the entire situation. Ugh. Once again, Party Pooper Sassy has to cut their balls off. I obliged, but I reiterated multiple times that I was not intending to lodge any official complaints or requests for action, just documenting in case the behavior worsened or continued beyond the short term.
Three hours later, every single one of them got called into the back room for a talk. Lastly, D-ball got written up. I know this because I went to the back to ask Boss for his signature on something and he hastily hid the paper he was filling out, then when it was his turn, they brought an extra chair into the back, called D-ball back, kept him back there for 20 minutes, then when he exited, he had a paper he was folding up (exactly what he did a couple weeks ago when he got a write-up for calling in past his allowed absences). Now I have no idea what he got written up for--I hope to GOD it had nothing to do with the "hostile work environment" situation because as far as I know, he participated in all of that the least of all the other guys who worked!
This, my friends, is what sucks about being The Girl in the office. After being called on the carpet, every last one of them were quiet and morose. I got the cold shoulder BIG TIME. I know I'm being blamed, as if I'm some sort of hysterical little bitch who's out to ruin their fun. What the fuck else can I do????
My concern, as I posted last night, wasn't necessarily that S-hole would go on a Whore Mongering Bender and taint the entire branch with some wild new STD--no, I felt strongly that with his suddenly single status, the general demeanor of the entire branch would slide sweatily into the locker room. And I was right. As One Boy Goes, So Goes The Rest of the Team.
This morning, part of my opening duties was to go through a pending file of forms and documents and complete as much as possible (some things are time-specific). Among the documents was a form that D-Rod had initialled as having received. The form contained some security questions a customer was supposed to assign to their online banking account. Instead of gathering valid answers to specific questions, once in a rare occassion, if the customer is in a huge rush, for example, we might set all the answers to one word, and instruct them to immediately change the questions when they log in the first time. That word has always been the name of our company. Easy. This form, however, did not use "Bank". This form's answer for everything was "WOMEN". "WOMEN." "WOMEN." "WOMEN." "WOMEN."
Instinctively, without thinking, I plopped it down on the counter and said aloud: "Are you kidding me with this BS?" Now, literally just minutes before this, I had JUST told Boss about how the Boys' conversations were leaning a little salty and in danger of getting inappropriate, and I knew this was fueled by S-hole's divorce, I expected it and understood it, and am willing to roll with the punches but wanted to put him on notice that if it became a constant, pervasive atmosphere I'd have a serious problem with it, or if it ramped up and crossed a line, there'd be a serious problem. I then told him that I fully intended to have a private conversation with S-hole about it, to remind him that he's a leader and sets the example for the other guys and that his respect would be greatly appreciated. Boss was very receptive and understanding--even saying that regardless of whether or not I had a conversation with S-hole, he'd be having a conversation with all of the guys about it because it was inappropriate to be trolling for women while at work.
FLASH FORWARD to the "WOMEN" form. "Are you kidding me with this BS?!" Boss came over and looked, but didn't see the answers right away. I pointed. His head kind of sunk a little and he shook his head. He took it from me and said he'd take care of it, and he needed to keep the paper seperate from the rest of our normal paperwork. He then asked me to email him to document the entire situation. Ugh. Once again, Party Pooper Sassy has to cut their balls off. I obliged, but I reiterated multiple times that I was not intending to lodge any official complaints or requests for action, just documenting in case the behavior worsened or continued beyond the short term.
Three hours later, every single one of them got called into the back room for a talk. Lastly, D-ball got written up. I know this because I went to the back to ask Boss for his signature on something and he hastily hid the paper he was filling out, then when it was his turn, they brought an extra chair into the back, called D-ball back, kept him back there for 20 minutes, then when he exited, he had a paper he was folding up (exactly what he did a couple weeks ago when he got a write-up for calling in past his allowed absences). Now I have no idea what he got written up for--I hope to GOD it had nothing to do with the "hostile work environment" situation because as far as I know, he participated in all of that the least of all the other guys who worked!
This, my friends, is what sucks about being The Girl in the office. After being called on the carpet, every last one of them were quiet and morose. I got the cold shoulder BIG TIME. I know I'm being blamed, as if I'm some sort of hysterical little bitch who's out to ruin their fun. What the fuck else can I do????
Comments:
Post a Comment