Wednesday, October 05, 2011
She shoots, she scores? Let's wait for the replay.
Yes, yes, why is it that every time I hit a home run, I've got to get caught stealing third in the same game?? (OK, perhaps a bad analogy, since it uses the word "stealing" as if I may have actually stolen something! Anyone who knows me would know that's completely outside my own moral code!)
So in the first inning, I hit the home run: First, my habit of browsing the local paper's website (despite an occasional slanty-eye from Boss as if I were doing something inappropriate for the workplace). Just shy of 2 weeks ago, I came across an obituary for a customer of ours. He had a joint account with his daughter-in-law. I only know this because the son and his wife made such a big deal about being "forced" to get this account in order to cash his social security checks. He was quite elderly and infirm and it was a big production to get him into the bank. The obit clearly named the son and his wife as survivors (and I'm willing to bet was written by them)--and was a complete hoot on it's own merit: "We lost the best trucker this side of the Mississippi today." "He was like a drill sargeant (sic) with his grandkids." and "He was an avid National Geographic fan." This is not an obit I'm likely to forget, I'll give them that.
Anyway, after reading it, I immediately put a note on his account stating that he had died (including the date), but no death certificate had been presented by the family. Then I sent an email to the rest of the branch letting them know that he was dead. Two weeks pass. I was off yesterday.
This morning, the Daughter-In-Law came in and asked to get $60 out of Old Man's account. The balance was relatively high, and it's near the first of the month. I wondered if they had gotten another social security check. I checked, no direct deposits, but the last deposit was done in person. OK, I gave her the cash and sent her on her way. Then I opened the deposit details and discovered that they had deposited a social security check. Most folks might not realize this, but that soc sec check is supposed to be for the upcoming month. When you die, they'll probably deposit or mail your next check to you even though you're dead. Don't worry, they'll figure it out, though, and take it back. I've seen it happen a few times now, and it never fails to fuck up the family who thought the money was legit and spent it, and leaving them all completely fucked. I knew instantly that that check was going to get charged back and the balance was going to get yanked very soon. Further inspection revealed that **BOSS** was the one who took the deposit. Boss. Not some newbie, BOSS. Despite my email, despite my note on the account that pops up when you do the transaction. I pulled Boss aside and told him about it. He freaked. He immediately called the Risk Management department, who then put an indefinite hold on the deposit. The family had already spent some of the money--but not more than we would have let them intentionally withdraw even without the deposit. So now the account is overdrawn. Boss tried to back-track and act like the note must not've popped up, because he would NEVER have let them deposit that check if he'd have known... and he can't begin to remember my ever sending him that email (ha, sorry, email is forever).
So, let's review: I spotted a potential problem: the account holder was dead. I anticipated a problem because I knew he got a soc sec check, and warned everyone through both options available to me. Despite that, the account holder slipped through the cracks and deposited the bad check. I discovered it in less than 24 hours and because I warned him, a hold was placed and further loss was prevented--more than $1400 in loss was prevented, thank you. And he made it clear: if they'd taken it all out, he would absolutely get written up when the check charged back. I saved his ass. I SAVED HIS ASS.
Then not an hour later, I screwed up a transaction, and in my attempts to fix it, managed to screw up a different transaction, which he (AND D-Rod) failed to catch, and we will be getting an exception on our score in the next day or two. I did the transaction, but the two of them were responsible for not catching it. He will get bitten for it, and even though it goes against our policy, what do you want to bet he tries to pin it on me anyway, despite the fact that on the same day I kept his ass from getting written up??
For that brief hour, I had fantasies of S-hole getting the promotion for the most recent BM job everyone's applied to, and my leaning hard on Boss for his position because he now owes me. Now I'm back on a level playing field. Ok, not really, but that's how Boss will play it. I guarantee it.
So in the first inning, I hit the home run: First, my habit of browsing the local paper's website (despite an occasional slanty-eye from Boss as if I were doing something inappropriate for the workplace). Just shy of 2 weeks ago, I came across an obituary for a customer of ours. He had a joint account with his daughter-in-law. I only know this because the son and his wife made such a big deal about being "forced" to get this account in order to cash his social security checks. He was quite elderly and infirm and it was a big production to get him into the bank. The obit clearly named the son and his wife as survivors (and I'm willing to bet was written by them)--and was a complete hoot on it's own merit: "We lost the best trucker this side of the Mississippi today." "He was like a drill sargeant (sic) with his grandkids." and "He was an avid National Geographic fan." This is not an obit I'm likely to forget, I'll give them that.
Anyway, after reading it, I immediately put a note on his account stating that he had died (including the date), but no death certificate had been presented by the family. Then I sent an email to the rest of the branch letting them know that he was dead. Two weeks pass. I was off yesterday.
This morning, the Daughter-In-Law came in and asked to get $60 out of Old Man's account. The balance was relatively high, and it's near the first of the month. I wondered if they had gotten another social security check. I checked, no direct deposits, but the last deposit was done in person. OK, I gave her the cash and sent her on her way. Then I opened the deposit details and discovered that they had deposited a social security check. Most folks might not realize this, but that soc sec check is supposed to be for the upcoming month. When you die, they'll probably deposit or mail your next check to you even though you're dead. Don't worry, they'll figure it out, though, and take it back. I've seen it happen a few times now, and it never fails to fuck up the family who thought the money was legit and spent it, and leaving them all completely fucked. I knew instantly that that check was going to get charged back and the balance was going to get yanked very soon. Further inspection revealed that **BOSS** was the one who took the deposit. Boss. Not some newbie, BOSS. Despite my email, despite my note on the account that pops up when you do the transaction. I pulled Boss aside and told him about it. He freaked. He immediately called the Risk Management department, who then put an indefinite hold on the deposit. The family had already spent some of the money--but not more than we would have let them intentionally withdraw even without the deposit. So now the account is overdrawn. Boss tried to back-track and act like the note must not've popped up, because he would NEVER have let them deposit that check if he'd have known... and he can't begin to remember my ever sending him that email (ha, sorry, email is forever).
So, let's review: I spotted a potential problem: the account holder was dead. I anticipated a problem because I knew he got a soc sec check, and warned everyone through both options available to me. Despite that, the account holder slipped through the cracks and deposited the bad check. I discovered it in less than 24 hours and because I warned him, a hold was placed and further loss was prevented--more than $1400 in loss was prevented, thank you. And he made it clear: if they'd taken it all out, he would absolutely get written up when the check charged back. I saved his ass. I SAVED HIS ASS.
Then not an hour later, I screwed up a transaction, and in my attempts to fix it, managed to screw up a different transaction, which he (AND D-Rod) failed to catch, and we will be getting an exception on our score in the next day or two. I did the transaction, but the two of them were responsible for not catching it. He will get bitten for it, and even though it goes against our policy, what do you want to bet he tries to pin it on me anyway, despite the fact that on the same day I kept his ass from getting written up??
For that brief hour, I had fantasies of S-hole getting the promotion for the most recent BM job everyone's applied to, and my leaning hard on Boss for his position because he now owes me. Now I'm back on a level playing field. Ok, not really, but that's how Boss will play it. I guarantee it.
Comments:
Post a Comment