<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Is that a silver lining? 

I had the day off yesterday, and I was disappointed to learn that VP would be stopping by the branch while I was out. Perhaps it was planned that way, perhaps not, I may never know. In my daily review email, I reminded VP of this, and gave her my cell phone number, letting her know she could call me if she had any issues. She called late in the afternoon and informed me that they'd been cleaning hard-core all day and she thought I just might be surprised when I saw the branch. She asked for some clarification on some of the issues I'd emailed her about, so we chatted briefly. She'd obviously been talking to the staff, and it seems their only complaint was that I wasn't doing enough transactions and their teller line was getting backed up.

I really got my back up about that for a little bit: I'd worked all of 5 days; Day 1, I couldn't get on a drawer because IT hadn't altered my network permissions to log on at that branch. Day 2, I was only able to log on about halfway through the day, and immediately after, I had to drive to another branch to get a replacement ink cartridge they had failed to order. Day 3 I ran a drawer, along with 3 other people, but spent most of my time opening accounts (I opened more than anyone else in the branch). Day 4, I let 4 others buy drawers while I worked on the quagmire of paperwork they hadn't properly filed, intending on buying Sharon's drawer when she was ready to leave (she was only supposed to stay less than 2 hours, remember? She didn't, she stayed til about 1 hour before we closed, what would have been the point?). Day 5, I ran a drawer and did more transactions than the only other employee with a drawer that day. Ah well, just goes to show you they'll always find something to bitch about. I didn't object to her about it, I just stewed for a couple hours and finally let it go.

But LO and behold, was that branch a sight to see this morning! Like a mini-version of my home branch, all clean and shiny! You'd swear it actually grew by a couple dozen square feet! You can't even imagine the amount of stress that alone has made. They didn't have time to clean the back room, but everyone is so impressed with themselves for the job they did on the front, they're actually inspired to keep it going and take time to get the back room cleaned, too. There was a detectable difference in everyone's mood. I really think they might be able to turn this branch around after all!

But I couldn't possibly just have a "pretty good day". No, if work isn't loaded with shit, I'll surely find it backed up at home. Saturday night, I was standing in the master bathroom when I heard the front bathroom's toilet flush. A few seconds later, the master bathroom's toilet started gurgling and bubbling. I joked with Rusty about it and we went naively to bed. The next morning, it was obvious we were having some ongoing drainage issues. Slow drains turned into clogged drains, and we resolve to call the landlord first thing in the morning. Landlord fails to return calls for several hours, then later that afternoon claims they couldn't get a plumber to come out today, but they'll be out at 9am tomorrow. We're quite frustrated, but assume this is the best they could do. 8:30 am this morning rolls around, and landlord calls saying they couldn't get the plumber out at 9am, would 3pm work instead? No, Rusty will have left for work at 2, and the kids get home at 3. I'm not having strangers to my house while my kids are alone here. "Oh don't worry, I'll be there, too." You dumb bitch, what don't you understand about this whole kids vs. strangers situation?? More furious phone calls reveal it was never the plumber's schedule we were battling--it was the landlord's! Oh, she just couldn't rearrange her schedule. Right, and the plumber couldn't possibly find the toilets without her here?? So because she didn't want to inconvenience herself, nobody here can take a fucking crap???

Rusty called the Health Department, and if the plumber isn't out here working on it in the morning, they'll send an inspector if they can get one, and fine the landlord, and even condemn the place if they have to. What a comfort.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?