<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Tuesday, February 07, 2012

Waiting for the shoe to drop! 

Oh my, things are happening at work again.

First of all, I emailed VP regarding my writeup. Well, backtrack: Rusty encouraged me to email her to complain. I toyed with it, but what pushed me over the edge was Boss. We had a pretty busy teller line, and he and S-hole were in the back room avoiding work when someone came in wanting to open an account. I went back and asked if one of them could open an account. They both said no. "But unlock your computer and drawers, and I'll run some transactions." said Boss. "No." I told him, "Louis will have to suffer." So I stopped doing transactions and opened the account. Boss was chock full of attitude, and both he and S-hole left within 10 minutes (both earlier than their scheduled times). Pissed me OFF. So I emailed VP. Basically, I told her that I needed to know what the company policy was regarding managers having access to teller drawers--after all, I need to understand how it is that I can be held responsible for outages when I'm not the only person in the drawer on a regular basis, and when I refused to let Boss have access, he gave me a ton of attitude as if I were being insubordinate. She didn't respond for 4 agonizing days. She emailed asking, am I available to talk tomorrow? I gave her my cell#.

This morning, I was getting so ticked off I was about to pop off on somebody: I had 13 accounts to review as part of my opening work, and Louis had a list of phone calls to make. Normally the opener with the phone calls does it up front so that they can wait on people and get the phone calls in between customers. But Louis sat at a desk and refused to acknowledge a single customer all morning while I kept dropping my work and helping people--account reviews are super-important because mistakes hit your quality score HARD, and constant interruptions multiply the chance of missing something. When Boss got in an hour after we opened, I thought it might alleviate things, but no, Louis went to the back and ate potato chips while chatting with Boss, leaving me once again to handle all the customers and ignore all the opening work I was supposed to be doing. When they finally came out, they noticed a problem with the TV. I saw what was wrong and informed them, and they ignored me completely--"I don't know, man, get the manual out." "Is it in the drawer?" I repeated myself. They continued to ignore me. "Fuck you." I said and went back to my desk. Seriously, I was ready to lose my shit. I picked up the phone to complain to Rusty. When he answered, he informed me that he was just calling me on the other line. Seconds later, Louis tapped my shoulder and informed me that Rusty was on the phone for me. "I'm actually talking to him on this line, you can hang up that line!" he walked away. About 3 minutes later, Boss interrupted me, "Did you know Rusty's on the other line for you?" Again, I explained that we had crossed wires, and I was actually already talking to him, and they could hang up the other line. He proceeded to go back to Louis and have another conversation about what they thought they should do about this mysterious call on hold. "WTF? Did I not make any sense just now?" Rusty wondered aloud how I hadn't punched someone in the face yet.

In the meantime, I came to discover that the branch manager job for Uptown had been posted. This is a shock--Uptown is the biggest branch in the state. They're doing well. That guy's a superstar. I caught Boss applying for it on the computer in the back, so I asked him about it. He found out a couple of days ago that it'd be opening up, nobody knows why he quit, but the going theory is he didn't like the direction the company was taking with regard to account acquisition goals. Or maybe he got a sweet offer from someone else. So then Boss drops the glitter bomb: VP has asked HIM to go up to the Uptown branch and manage there til "at least March 1st" while they look for a replacement. Generally speaking, when you're asked to "fill in" for a missing manager, that means you're the top candidate for the job and there's probably a technical reason they can't/won't just hire you--for example (drumroll): a disciplinary action that prevents you from qualifying. I imagine that Boss was written up when he got caught with his pants down. I hope so, anyway.

Now you can't imagine my deep, heartfelt joy when the realization hit me that Boss would not be in the Branch at ALL for the next two months. But darlings, it got even better: Starting next week, VP has ALSO requested our branch to help the branch south of us--the one with the open branch manager job? Yeah. Apparently they promoted one of their retail bankers to Assistant Branch Manager, and she's currently running the place, but starting next week for the next couple of weeks (Boss talked like this would go on for a month or two), they were going to send one of their regular workers to work in our branch, and we would send someone there--the idea being that we were going to train them how to do their jobs right because they freaking SUCK! Their quality scores are consistently in the TOILET, and they only make their acquisition goals about half the time. I have been designated as the travelling trainer for them. That's right: I'm going to their branch to train them. Does that mean that if I kick ass I'll get the Branch Manager job? Who knows. But it's clear that they have no intention to fill either of the open jobs right away, so I finally have an opportunity.

And now I have to field a phone call from VP tomorrow and backpedal my "righteous indignation" while maintaining my dignity and professionalism.


Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?