Thursday, March 01, 2012
Sweet fucking confusion
So here I am, rolling around in my sour grapes, going into work today with a better attitude because I was ready to wash my hands of the whole thing, and late in the day, I get an email from VP asking when I'm available to interview with her next week.
WTF? I had to ask somebody what to do--if I ask her, I could tip her off and kill the whole thing. So I emailed Boss. He texted be back so his response wouldn't be on the company's system. Basically, he said to not tell her and let things run their course. If VP decides she wants me in the job, then it will be a simple matter of waiting until my writeup expires next month before making it official.
Now I have to rethink things. Do I really want this job? I'd be a fool to turn down more money at this point. My family really needs it. So will it really drive me batshit? Have I given everyone a real, fair chance? I don't know, maybe my impression of everything is spot on, or maybe the stress of everything has soured my outlook. On the plus side, I can say with conviction that they have made leaps and bounds toward a better way of working, and the place is genuinely clean and uncluttered again. I worry about how awful their relationship is with Major Retailer and if that can be repaired. I worry, quite legitimately, how Sharon and Brittany would handle being "leapfrogged". Sharon and I were talking about all the possibilities, and I stressed to her that while it wasn't her fault that she wasn't trained properly, and nobody's BLAMING her, the fact remains that she was not properly trained, her response, "Well, they shouldn't hold that against me." Ugh, do you not UNDERSTAND why it would be relevant that you have training or not?? What good is your tenure with the company if you spent the majority of it doing things so wrong that everyone here should have been fired??? I empathize with her, I really do: for all his personal faults, his one virtue was that Boss trained us all Very Well, and he ran a clean, tight ship. We are all better employees for it, and for that I am lucky.
It's all moot. I'm still not remotely convinced that anyone is seriously considering me for this promotion in the first place.
WTF? I had to ask somebody what to do--if I ask her, I could tip her off and kill the whole thing. So I emailed Boss. He texted be back so his response wouldn't be on the company's system. Basically, he said to not tell her and let things run their course. If VP decides she wants me in the job, then it will be a simple matter of waiting until my writeup expires next month before making it official.
Now I have to rethink things. Do I really want this job? I'd be a fool to turn down more money at this point. My family really needs it. So will it really drive me batshit? Have I given everyone a real, fair chance? I don't know, maybe my impression of everything is spot on, or maybe the stress of everything has soured my outlook. On the plus side, I can say with conviction that they have made leaps and bounds toward a better way of working, and the place is genuinely clean and uncluttered again. I worry about how awful their relationship is with Major Retailer and if that can be repaired. I worry, quite legitimately, how Sharon and Brittany would handle being "leapfrogged". Sharon and I were talking about all the possibilities, and I stressed to her that while it wasn't her fault that she wasn't trained properly, and nobody's BLAMING her, the fact remains that she was not properly trained, her response, "Well, they shouldn't hold that against me." Ugh, do you not UNDERSTAND why it would be relevant that you have training or not?? What good is your tenure with the company if you spent the majority of it doing things so wrong that everyone here should have been fired??? I empathize with her, I really do: for all his personal faults, his one virtue was that Boss trained us all Very Well, and he ran a clean, tight ship. We are all better employees for it, and for that I am lucky.
It's all moot. I'm still not remotely convinced that anyone is seriously considering me for this promotion in the first place.
Comments:
Post a Comment