<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Thursday, May 24, 2012

Victory is sorta almost mine. 

As soon as I got in today, Boss asked me to talk with him in the back room.

It's about freaking TIME, dickweed!

Basically, he said that trying to manage both our branch and the West side branch has been virtually impossible, especially since neither branch has an ABM (Assistant Branch Manager). Duh, that's what we're trying to fix, right? He said that he essentially told VP and her boss Lloyd that while he really appreciates the opportunity they've given him to take on more responsibilities, what they're asking of him is more than any single person can accomplish, and the only way he would agree to continue managing both branches is if he was allowed to hire an ABM in BOTH branches. This sounds vaguely like the idea VP told me about during my interview with her when I asked what her plans for the West Side branch were... I knew immediately what he was going to tell me, and I was already pissed off: he wants me to be the ABM in the West Side branch. My initial thoughts were: He wants me there because I get along with the staff there better than J--and so once again, the inferior candidate gets the better job because somebody else is willing to work harder and therefore is NEEDED in the crappy spot. He asked what I thought. So naturally, I told him. Basically, it sounded to me like I'm being punished for being better at my job than J, and being banished to Siberia to languish and sit around being bored all damned day.

Now, Boss is a pretty good salesman, so I don't know if he just sold this well, or if he's right. E, my friend out in University branch seemed to agree when I put it to him via email this afternoon:

Basically, Boss said yeah, it's slower over there and their goals are a lot lower, but they have nowhere to go but up, so any improvements there will reflect very well on me personally. Then he said that I have the opportunity to earn more over there. See, our company offers bonuses to management when they hit all their goals in specific areas. Last year, that branch paid out something like $1000 total in bonuses (I looked on their P&L statements)--mainly because the Branch Manager there was fucking idiot. Last month, Boss got his bonus for both branches totaling $1060. Now I don't know what the percentage difference is between a BM and an ABM's bonus, but hell, a $250/month bonus would make a huge-ass difference in my family finances, trust me! And yes, right now both branches are earning the bonuses, but our branch is struggling to meet our goals now (this has been a pretty challenging year), and the company will insist they raise their goals by something like 10% next year, and he really thinks that they're going to start missing out on goals pretty soon, whereas West Side has neglected marketing opportunities for so long, and they're already starting to pick up business, and their numbers are starting to look a lot like the numbers our branch had a few years ago when I first started and we were picking up speed. And lastly, he says he's developing a bit of a different marketing plan for that branch and that will give me an opportunity to get some experience doing business-to-business marketing, etc. Basically, the ABM at our branch will have to work hard to maintain what we've got going, and if successful, they will look like they just stepped into an empty spot and kept the status quo. But the ABM at the West Side branch will be part of the management team that turned a failing branch around, becoming a bit of a superstar amongst upper management. And, he added, I'll be eligible to promote to BM after only 6 months, and he's certain that I'm already ready for that now, but West Side's turnaround will make me an ace candidate for wherever I want  to go when it's time, and he assured me that there are plenty of BM's with their heads very near the chopping block, so my timing is good.

In any case, it's not official yet, although he assured me that I would be hired "immediately". Because of corporate policies, they have to post the West Side ABM job, I have to apply to it, I have to go through the interview process, etc. "This conversation will be our 'official interview', and I'll forward you on to VP as quickly as possible." Basically I said, "DUDE, we've been waiting almost **3 months** for this one, and now I've got to start the process all over again? If I'd been hired just two weeks after the posting for this job went up, I'd already have two months down before I was eligible for another promotion!" He agreed it has been a ridiculous perfect storm of delays and snafus that brought us to this point, but "I SWEAR it'll be IMMEDIATE."

In the meantime, Rusty heard back from the Sheriff's department, he didn't get it. He's understandably disappointed, but he's picking himself back up faster than expected, and hopefully will find another department to apply to soon. He's thinking about applying for the police department back in the city I moved here from... truth be told, I'd worry a lot more about him on the job there than I would here in the boonies where nothing happens, but it would be nice to move back. And if we could time it right, maybe I could find a branch in that area when it's time to move up again. I shouldn't allow myself to fantasize so wildly--you'd think I'm used to getting what I want!



Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?