Wednesday, June 06, 2012
I live in a world of WTF
I was so pissed off last night, I tried to call Boss, and of course he didn't answer. I texted him and asked him to call. Of course he didn't. I tried again an hour later, no answer. Texted, no answer. I'd had enough and texted VP:
"You and I need to talk about my situation. I've tried to call and get no response. I've also tried talking w/Boss and he won't return my calls and will not speak with me directly at work. I feel I'm being disrespected and not being given an opportunity to defend myself. Boss is such an accomplished liar, I wouldn't trust much of what he has to say about it anyway, so I'd rather hear it from you."
Seconds before I hit "Send", my phone chimed that I'd gotten a message. It turned out to be from Boss, who claimed to be in a movie, and could we just talk in the branch because he didn't know when he'd get home (it was all of 7pm). I told him I preferred not to speak about it at the branch, but if that's the only time he'd make for me, then it would have to do. VP responded quickly, asking if she could call me first thing in the morning. I told her I was free between 9-10am, during my son's band practice, she responded that she'd call me then.
Forward to this morning: I drop the boy off and sit in the parking lot waiting for the phone to ring. 9:30 rolls around and still no phone call. 9:35, I break down and text her: "Are you available?" She responds: "Call me in 10." Argh! Finally, I get her on the phone. About the Risk situation, she said she has no idea what's up, that they usually email her afterward with a statement/finding/conclusion, and she received nothing. She searched through her inbox while she talked to me and couldn't find anything. She promised to follow up with me after trying to reach someone in their department about it. Then she wanted to know why I would call Boss a liar. "Because nothing he tells me matches up with the stories he tells other people or the stories they tell me?" For example, he told me this West side ABM position was mine, that no one in that branch qualified to apply, and he hadn't received any other applications so mine was the only one he forwarded to her, but that we were just "jumping through hoops" that corporate sets out regarding the hiring process. Then I find out that at least two other employees in the West Side branch have applied and are hoping to get it. She confirmed that he had not yet forwarded my resume to her, and asked me what kind of constructive criticism did he have for me regarding the reasons I didn't get the East side position. I told her I hadn't received any criticism, that our conversation revolved solely around him "selling" the West side ABM job to me. "That does not match at all the conversation that I had with him about it." she told me. Of course it doesn't. Because he's a fucking liar.
Her conversation with him, she tells me, was about how the East side branch is a "marketing" driven branch because there are so many more opportunities to sell there, with the higher traffic, and since J is stronger in sales, he felt J was the better candidate. I'm the "operational expert", not the sales expert. But what fucking logic is that? There's lots more traffic in the East side branch, so we really need someone who's good at sales, and the West side branch, with less traffic and more problems meeting sales goals needs an operational person? What???? Anyway, he was supposed to be telling me that I need to work on my marketing/sales skills. That very clearly did not happen. And he's not allowed to "promise" a job to anyone, and he never once discussed the West side ABM position and ME with her at all. I told her that I found it quite peculiar, if things worked out the way he seemed to be telling me--with me in the West side branch (which, I told her, I'd be glad to take because it's time for me to move on and I'll go where I'm needed), but it seems to me that he's arranging things so he and his 20-something male buddies are all at one branch, and the West side branch is staffed exclusively by women (and one gay man). In his "sell" to me about moving to the West Side branch, he mentioned that there were HR issues there that he felt I was better suited to handle than J, and I told her point blank that I felt that his "HR issues" were code for "women". She confirmed that there were no known HR issues at that branch, so she had no clue what he could be referring to. I made a point of telling her that I felt very clearly that Boss does not like women, that he has always hated the West side branch, that he hates going there and avoids it as much as possible. She didn't tip her hand to me at all about how she felt about this information, but promised she'd look into it and get back to me.
When I got home, I was still irritated by the whole situation, and I decided that some things that I wanted to tell her were best documented in writing anyway, so I sent her the following email:
Unfortunately for me, I'd sent it from home, so I didn't get her response until late in the day, asking if I was available to talk to her today about it. She promises to talk to me tomorrow.
In the meantime, Boss avoided me for a good hour or two when I got to work, but at one point I was in the back to run some paperwork and he was there eating lunch. "What did you want to talk to me about?" he asked. "I just wanted some clarification about my situation." "What situation?"
Fucking dickweed.
Since I'd already talked with VP, I no longer felt a conversation with him would be productive (what with all the lying), so I half-heartedly asked him about the ABM position. "Oh, well I have to interview this guy from Oz [about 3 hours away], and then I can forward everything to VP. I was waiting until after our Manager's Meeting yesterday." Uh-huh. I mentioned to Tiffany that I'd spoken with VP about the whole ABM thing and she'd told me he hadn't sent my resume to her ("OMG, I'd be SO PISSED!"), and Tiffany confirmed that sometime between 10 and 11am (just after I spoke with VP), Boss excused himself to the back to take "an important call from VP". Yes, that would be why he "came clean" about waiting to forward resumes and interviewing people--I suspect that if I'd had that conversation with him last night, I'd have gotten a completely different story.
Asswipe.
And in other news: all this drama has caused me to decide to apply for that Small Business Loan again. I'd run in to D-Rod last week, who told me he just got one and is opening a restaurant downtown (this completely weirds me out), and I'm meeting him on Saturday to pick his brain and get some contacts. I'm tired of being at the mercy of a misogynistic twit. It may be more work, and I may worry more about money than ever before, but at least nobody can fire me for doing shit they told me to do!!
"You and I need to talk about my situation. I've tried to call and get no response. I've also tried talking w/Boss and he won't return my calls and will not speak with me directly at work. I feel I'm being disrespected and not being given an opportunity to defend myself. Boss is such an accomplished liar, I wouldn't trust much of what he has to say about it anyway, so I'd rather hear it from you."
Seconds before I hit "Send", my phone chimed that I'd gotten a message. It turned out to be from Boss, who claimed to be in a movie, and could we just talk in the branch because he didn't know when he'd get home (it was all of 7pm). I told him I preferred not to speak about it at the branch, but if that's the only time he'd make for me, then it would have to do. VP responded quickly, asking if she could call me first thing in the morning. I told her I was free between 9-10am, during my son's band practice, she responded that she'd call me then.
Forward to this morning: I drop the boy off and sit in the parking lot waiting for the phone to ring. 9:30 rolls around and still no phone call. 9:35, I break down and text her: "Are you available?" She responds: "Call me in 10." Argh! Finally, I get her on the phone. About the Risk situation, she said she has no idea what's up, that they usually email her afterward with a statement/finding/conclusion, and she received nothing. She searched through her inbox while she talked to me and couldn't find anything. She promised to follow up with me after trying to reach someone in their department about it. Then she wanted to know why I would call Boss a liar. "Because nothing he tells me matches up with the stories he tells other people or the stories they tell me?" For example, he told me this West side ABM position was mine, that no one in that branch qualified to apply, and he hadn't received any other applications so mine was the only one he forwarded to her, but that we were just "jumping through hoops" that corporate sets out regarding the hiring process. Then I find out that at least two other employees in the West Side branch have applied and are hoping to get it. She confirmed that he had not yet forwarded my resume to her, and asked me what kind of constructive criticism did he have for me regarding the reasons I didn't get the East side position. I told her I hadn't received any criticism, that our conversation revolved solely around him "selling" the West side ABM job to me. "That does not match at all the conversation that I had with him about it." she told me. Of course it doesn't. Because he's a fucking liar.
Her conversation with him, she tells me, was about how the East side branch is a "marketing" driven branch because there are so many more opportunities to sell there, with the higher traffic, and since J is stronger in sales, he felt J was the better candidate. I'm the "operational expert", not the sales expert. But what fucking logic is that? There's lots more traffic in the East side branch, so we really need someone who's good at sales, and the West side branch, with less traffic and more problems meeting sales goals needs an operational person? What???? Anyway, he was supposed to be telling me that I need to work on my marketing/sales skills. That very clearly did not happen. And he's not allowed to "promise" a job to anyone, and he never once discussed the West side ABM position and ME with her at all. I told her that I found it quite peculiar, if things worked out the way he seemed to be telling me--with me in the West side branch (which, I told her, I'd be glad to take because it's time for me to move on and I'll go where I'm needed), but it seems to me that he's arranging things so he and his 20-something male buddies are all at one branch, and the West side branch is staffed exclusively by women (and one gay man). In his "sell" to me about moving to the West Side branch, he mentioned that there were HR issues there that he felt I was better suited to handle than J, and I told her point blank that I felt that his "HR issues" were code for "women". She confirmed that there were no known HR issues at that branch, so she had no clue what he could be referring to. I made a point of telling her that I felt very clearly that Boss does not like women, that he has always hated the West side branch, that he hates going there and avoids it as much as possible. She didn't tip her hand to me at all about how she felt about this information, but promised she'd look into it and get back to me.
When I got home, I was still irritated by the whole situation, and I decided that some things that I wanted to tell her were best documented in writing anyway, so I sent her the following email:
I just wanted to add a couple of things:First of all, regarding the Risk situation: Bossloses a bonus if we take exceptions. He is the source of any pressure to avoid them at *all* costs. I get paid the same regardless. That should be pretty obvious, but I fully expect him to deny any and all knowledge of the signature card situation. S-hole would be able to confirm that—of course, only if it were put to him in a way that he did not feel he had to lie to protect himself. D-Rod would have no reason to lie anymore but I doubt he’d be easy for you to reach.And regarding West side/Boss/J. I feel you have an HR problem waiting to happen there. I didn’t want to disparage J during the interview process because I know it would have come off as an attempt to sabotage his promotion in order to make myself look better. J is definitely stronger in sales than I am. He’s very comfortable talking to people and can charm people much more easily than I can. Unfortunately, he lacks the self-control and maturity to understand when he goes too far with it. As a result, we have multiple women who come in to the branch every day just to flirt with him. They bring him McDonalds, they bring him Dairy Queen, buy him sodas, ask him why he wasn’t at the bar last night, why didn’t he call them like he promised, etc. He’s broken rules that Boss sets for the branch for the women he flirts with (stuff like giving/promising refunds, cashing 3rd party checks, not charging for inquiries and statement printouts) with impunity. For example, a girl asked Tiffany to cash a 3rd party check, and she explained that we were not allowed to do it. I was nearby and when the girl protested, I backed her up and told her we could only do that when the 3rd party is a minor (these are the rules that Boss expressly set for us in our last meeting). J came out from the back, and the girl immediately started calling to him and complaining that we wouldn’t cash her 3rd party check. Tiffany repeated the policy. J, without a word, winked at her, took her check and cashed it.Another time we were standing around during a lull, and a female customer walked by, and J whistled at her. She smirked at him and kept walking. Boss pointed out that that was inappropriate, and J proceeded to argue with him for 5 minutes about how it was OK because she knows he was just joking. I told J I’d prefer not to work for a company that’s known for the wolf-whistles and cat-calls at passing women. I was met with eye rolls and told I just didn’t understand because I’m not friends with her (the target of his whistling). This is normal behavior for him. I’m frankly quite tired of the flirting and the women who stand around chatting with him all the time. I am told by female customers at least twice a week how hot he is and the explicit things they’d like to do with him. And eventually, one of these women will be sufficiently scorned to start a problem that will get you involved, I am sure of it.I don’t tell you these things because I want to hurt him—but related to our previous discussion about HR issues, I don’t want you to be blindsided by it when he finally steps too deep in it. I have complained about multiple specific things (such as the situations I listed above) to Boss, but nothing seems to have been addressed because there’s no change in his behavior.
Unfortunately for me, I'd sent it from home, so I didn't get her response until late in the day, asking if I was available to talk to her today about it. She promises to talk to me tomorrow.
In the meantime, Boss avoided me for a good hour or two when I got to work, but at one point I was in the back to run some paperwork and he was there eating lunch. "What did you want to talk to me about?" he asked. "I just wanted some clarification about my situation." "What situation?"
Fucking dickweed.
Since I'd already talked with VP, I no longer felt a conversation with him would be productive (what with all the lying), so I half-heartedly asked him about the ABM position. "Oh, well I have to interview this guy from Oz [about 3 hours away], and then I can forward everything to VP. I was waiting until after our Manager's Meeting yesterday." Uh-huh. I mentioned to Tiffany that I'd spoken with VP about the whole ABM thing and she'd told me he hadn't sent my resume to her ("OMG, I'd be SO PISSED!"), and Tiffany confirmed that sometime between 10 and 11am (just after I spoke with VP), Boss excused himself to the back to take "an important call from VP". Yes, that would be why he "came clean" about waiting to forward resumes and interviewing people--I suspect that if I'd had that conversation with him last night, I'd have gotten a completely different story.
Asswipe.
And in other news: all this drama has caused me to decide to apply for that Small Business Loan again. I'd run in to D-Rod last week, who told me he just got one and is opening a restaurant downtown (this completely weirds me out), and I'm meeting him on Saturday to pick his brain and get some contacts. I'm tired of being at the mercy of a misogynistic twit. It may be more work, and I may worry more about money than ever before, but at least nobody can fire me for doing shit they told me to do!!
Comments:
Post a Comment